Buying an American Xbox

BLACK_MAGIC

Standard Member
Reaction score
I want to buy an american xbox (for ninja gaiden), but would also start regularly getting american games.

Where do you guys buy your american stuff from?

Could you recommend and good sites/shops that import the stuff. Thanks.

I pre-order import games from www.dvdboxoffice.com. They're very cheap, and usually very reliable. People have had some horror stories ordering games that have already been released from them, but the general consensus seems to be that pre-orders are ok.

Dunno about the console itself; mine's a chipped PAL one.

Get it chipped. Will be much cheaper and less hastle. If you go for an ntsc box you will also need a power converter to use in the uk.

Originally posted by harrisuk
Get it chipped. Will be much cheaper and less hastle.

Not if he wants to play US games on Live though.

yup. i dont agree with chipping anyways.

BTW willy do you know if uk peripherals work on an american xbox and also would my current uk live account transfer over to the american machine ok.

You don't have to pirate games if you have a chipped machine if that's what you mean - there are no pirate games on my Xbox!

UK peripherals are fine as far as I know. I doubt the Live account would transfer though. I'm not sure about either of those though - might be best posting a new thread to ask for some better informed advice.

Exactly. You can still use live. Just get a chip with a switch :rolleyes:

Seriously thinking about getting mine chipped, would like to get a bigger HD as well but isn't there some new XB live HDD code that checks the size of the HDD and can ban you based on that?

Cheers
Andy

From what ive read on the internet zandy yes they can detect a different harddrive and they can also sniff the files on the disk to.

I am no expert. But my understanding of it is that providing the original xbe executable, menu files etc are intact and you have a switchable chip you are OK. I believe that when I had my 120 gig drive put in they partitioned the drive in such a way that the extra space cannot be seen unless evox etc is running. But I am no expert and no longer use xbox live.

The problem is that you have to use a boot cd to run the evo x dash if you want to use the live service.

In any event I know loads of people who have chipped xboxs and are using xbox live. Although mine is capable of doing this its a moot point, I dont use it anymore anyway. I much prefer xbox connect, its free and there is a much better selection of games on there in any event. Game of Halo anyone :laugh:

i have a US xbox and i transferred my live account no problem

Ninja Gaiden is good but VERY tough.

When the enigma video switch disk is used to swap between PAL and NTSC it changes an EEPROM setting. I am wondering if an XBox can be temporily chipped just to run this app. then unplug the chip. Using a switch to turn off the chip is just too risky IMO.
I'm in favour of MS checking people's hard drive as it stops the cheaters.

As I said I dont use xbox live anyway. xbconnect is better anyway. Game of Halo anyone :laugh:

Originally posted by harrisuk
I am no expert. But my understanding of it is that providing the original xbe executable, menu files etc are intact and you have a switchable chip you are OK. I believe that when I had my 120 gig drive put in they partitioned the drive in such a way that the extra space cannot be seen unless evox etc is running. But I am no expert and no longer use xbox live.

The problem is that you have to use a boot cd to run the evo x dash if you want to use the live service.

In any event I know loads of people who have chipped xboxs and are using xbox live. Although mine is capable of doing this its a moot point, I dont use it anymore anyway. I much prefer xbox connect, its free and there is a much better selection of games on there in any event. Game of Halo anyone :laugh:

no u just move the evox dash to F: and configure ur xbox to boot from there when the chip is on.

I have not bothered sofar and I have not been banned, but then again the games I play online I have bought:D

and as far as selection on xbc yeah right its 99% halo

True but is there anything better than halo to play online at the moment.....And dont say RTCW.

I like NHL rivals and Links 2k4

We needed fifa 2004 online. That would have kept me on live...

no we need PES4 and we are getting it

but PES4 wont be online...it will only have downloadable content.
Rainbow Six 3 and PGR2 are enough to keep me on Live :) and then on the way of course is Race Driver 2 ;)

Originally posted by museumsteve
but PES4 wont be online...it will only have downloadable content.
Rainbow Six 3 and PGR2 are enough to keep me on Live :) and then on the way of course is Race Driver 2 ;)

where did u read PES4 wont be online multiplay?

I didn't read it, I had coffee with a couple of chaps from Konami..;) it's a sort of regular occurence. They come into the shop, we plays games and talk games a lot. It's also the reason I was playing MGS Twin Snakes 2 weeks ago :) I love my job

well i think u should look around dude because all the reports are that it will, the PC and PS2 definately will so I expect the xbox version to have it aswell

Originally posted by museumsteve
okay..I'll let the guys at Konami know :D

oh right and workers are never wrong are they?

especially konami europe workers who have no contact what so ever with sea Bass:D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom