buying an american xbox for use in uk???

marcus25

Standard Member
Reaction score
i can do this because i dont want to mod my xbox as i only play it on live really and want a HD picture on my tv, now all that part is no problem, except ive been told there is a problem with the psu and might blow up on a british plug, is this true? and how could i go about it? thanks

You need to get a stepdown transformer, and a pretty powerful one too. Do you have a local import games store nearby? They should be able to sort you out with one, or at least the exact specs. You should be able to get them from Maplins too.

marcus25 said:
i can do this because i dont want to mod my xbox as i only play it on live really and want a HD picture on my tv, now all that part is no problem, except ive been told there is a problem with the psu and might blow up on a british plug, is this true? and how could i go about it? thanks

You are aware that the PAL Xbox 360 does support HD right ? The premium pack over here ships with an HD component cable and a scart adapter. There is no reason to buy a US Xbox 360 specifically for HD. The only reason would be to have access to US NTSC games.

Moogle said:
You are aware that the PAL Xbox 360 does support HD right ? The premium pack over here ships with an HD component cable and a scart adapter. There is no reason to buy a US Xbox 360 specifically for HD. The only reason would be to have access to US NTSC games.

i didnt say 360 did i? ;)

i mean the original xbox

Moogle said:

What isn't known is whether the new PAL 360's will allow you to choose a 60Hz or 50Hz refresh rate - my plasma only accepts 720 and 1080i at 50Hz (NTSC standards). If this is isn't the case (as now) then I'll try to source an US 360 for this purpose.

Just bite the bullet and mod it. You'll be surprised how good it is as a media player. If you're worried about losing Live, well, the 360 will play all your Xbox games on Live! so that's not a concern. You'll be wasting money buying an NTSC one, when you can get your own one modified.

It's true, I softmodded mine just so I could have the progressive scan output.
Once I did the mod I removed the saves from the hard drive that you need to do it and I've had no problems getting on Live. That includes Live updates as well.

marcus25 said:
i didnt say 360 did i? ;)

i mean the original xbox

Sorry it was quite late when I posted that and misread it. :oops:

I was going to post this same question. I'm moving to England in Febuary, so it would be no problem to use an US(NTSC) Xbox in England if I have a converter? Also would I need a certain converter as in how much power I would need. I can get NTSC games sent to me so buying games is not a problem.

thanks for the help

2manytoyz said:
I was going to post this same question. I'm moving to England in Febuary, so it would be no problem to use an US(NTSC) Xbox in England if I have a converter? Also would I need a certain converter as in how much power I would need. I can get NTSC games sent to me so buying games is not a problem.

thanks for the help

I use to live in the US and moved to the UK a few years back bringing a number of electronic items including a surround sound amp, Xbox, PS2 and Dreamcast. I got my step down transformer from World Imports. A good web site for information on importing is NTSC UK. You might want to check those two web sites out. I ordered my transformer from World Imports before I moved back and brought it with me. I'm not sure if they ship to the UK also.

Thank you sooo much for the reply. You have honestly made my week. I don't think I could have waited to get the new Xbox until Febuary, the time I was moving to England. This also gives me an excuse to puy an lcd or plasma when I get there just to make sure it will have the 50 HZ. :thumbsup: :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom