Buying an AE200 from PriceJapan...

Seb1

Standard Member
Reaction score
I am seriously considering buying The AE200 from Japan because I can't wait any longer to buy a projector.

It would be fantastic to have projector to watch films and play games on over Christmas.

I have a few questions:

Cost:

Whats the maximum its going to cost me by ordering from PriceJapan? (inc delivery + duty etc etc)

Power Supply:

What about power supply?
Would I need a different power lead?
Will I fry it by plugging it into 240volts?

Obviously the Japanese have different plugs to UK. Is it just a case of buying an adapter (if they exist)?

Language:

I understand I would have to change the language on the projector, this is easily done by using an English manual off the net, right?

Bulbs:

Can I buy these in the UK?
and do you replace them yourself?
Is it the same bulb as the AE100?

Repairs/Warrenty:

What sort of warrenty would I get?
How much would it cost in postage roughly to get it repaired?

because I know I would have to send it back to Japan for any repairs.

If anyone can help. Thanks

I was thinking of of importing a AE300but as you stated above - there are just so many inconveniences and problems I think i'd rather wait 4 months till they arrive on our shores.

Not sure how much money we'd save importing though, I see the Ae300 is $2000 about £1300. No idea how much it will be when it hits the UK.

The US has the same power rating as Japan so that makes things easier for them to import, we would need some kind of adapter.

No power adapter is necessary - the Panasonics have a "universal" PSU, from 100-240v.

Indeed, most new PJ's seem to be implementing this, probably cheaper for them to produce a universal model.

Warranty - return to Japan, approx £100+ I'd say.

Have a look over at avsforum.com, all your questions will have been answered frequently.

I was thinking about ordering from Pricejapan, but decided it would take me outside my budget for the projector I wanted. You will probably have to pay VAT at 17.5% and maybe duty, it seems that projectors are exempt from duty but not VAT. Have a look at these web sites and see what you think regarding duty;

http://www.sloanefox.freeserve.co.uk/importukduty.htm

[url]http://europa.eu.int/comm/taxation_customs/dds/cgi-bin/tarquer?Lang=EN
[/URL]

Find out what the cost of insured delivery back to Japan is if you need to send it back under warranty as it will not be covered in the EU.

Smoky Joe

I bought my sharp 9000 from Japan,it cost me less than half it costs here:eek: ,all the instructions and buttons on the Pj and the remote are in japanese,but the on screen menus can be changed to any language so no problem,most pj `s have internal power transformers,so all you have to do is change the plug,Oh ! and you have to pay VAT and Import duty.......but as i said, even including carraige it was still less than half price :) ,so well worth it

whats the best way to pay pricejapan
they offer paypal I ve only used this once , and forgotten how it works do they take from your visa? how much do they charge
roughly for say a $1500 purchase
are paypal secure and reliable?
payment can also be made by bank wire though they dont give any account details on the website at least I didnt see them
what would be best and secure payment method

also for PJ's are no instructions provided in english
how easy would it be to get these say for ae200?

sorry don`t know if you ment the reply for me ,but i did not buy form Price Japan, I have a friend who lives in Tokyo,All the manuals for the sharp came in Japanese,but as i mentioned all the on screen menu`s can be changed to any language so that is not a problem,and i have since been on the uk/usa sharp site and down loaded the all english manuals ....never had to used them though, so i`m sure you would be able to do the same for the AE200,i was really nervous about ordering the sharp from Japan ,incase it would not play here,problems with it ,or it was inferior to our version,lesser spec ;not compatable, etc. etc...........no worries, it is the EXACT same as the vesion you get here.....only less than HALF the price.....are we getting ripped of or what !!!:mad: ,but got to say, i love it:D

FLIPPIN HECK!
I ordered an AE300 from PriceJapan on the 29th OCT.. they sent me an email within 5 mins of the order. Shipped it on the 29th. I HAD IT IN MANCHESTER ON THE 31st OCT! (It was in the UK on the 30th) CAN YOU SAY WOW!!!
Incredible service - their pre-sales guys are FANTASTIC. Can you get that service from the UK? NO Blimmin way!

Paypal was great - although i was miffed about the 3% added on for credit cards. I should have used a debit card - silly me.
Still... 1300 quid or so and it was DHL'd direct to me.
Lets see if DHL come back for VAT or duty (although video projectors are 0% duty)
All I can say is FANTASTIC!!!

The AE300 looks like an AE100 but grown up.
You can control all sorts with it .. even the fan speed.
It has an SD card too so you can look at snaps, movies or listen to mp3.

And the DVI input FINALLY!!!! AWESOME
Im really happy with mine..
The remote is in english.. the manual in japanese.
The OSD is japanese but follows the AE100 so you can change it to English easily.

One word of note - it is ONLY 100/110 volts! you WILL need a step down transformer... luckly I had one from RS ;-)

Roy
A converted AE100->Ae300 guy.,... now all I need is a good screen!

2 days shipped from Japan ? Blimey, it don't get faster than that.

AE300 for only £1300 ? Damn, nice work :D

I see they do the new Sony HS-10 too for £1685 :D PriceJapan offer a ZERO Dead pixel policy and will replace your projector within 1-2 weeks should a dead pixel occur :D

re AE300 import I would be grateful
if you would post a complete price breakdown when you
receive any customs charges.
Ive been trying without success to ask Panasonic
when they are releasing ae 200/300

to ROYBAD
the other thing is they say on several places on the website its
110v/240v

"Official catalog of Panasonic are saying that its power supply is 100v.
But its actual power supply is 100-240v auto-swtiching volt (50/60Hz dual). We proved it by 6 hour's actual test."
"Panasonic TH-AE300 (just released)
Now in stock. 100-240v confirmed. "

which is it?

just got email from pricejapan

"We gurantee that AE200 and AE300 has power unit of 100-240volt free.

We confirmed it by connecting actually it to 170volt, 220volt, 240volt."

Kaneda
www.priceJapan.com

I saw the same thing from PriceJapan saying that its 100/240v swichable.
However, NOWHERE on the unit or documentation do they say 240v...
I'm none too keen to plug it into the mains here in the UK and fry it...
I'll shoot an email to PriceJapan and say "If it fries when I plug it into 240v will you replace it?"

I've just fried my 110v transformer... silly me, I used a 100VA auto-transformer... BAD mistake - basic electronics tell me its only good for a 1A max and cant really supply more than 100W.. This unit needs 2.2A ..

Also, once I get anything more from DHL I'll post up the actual charges..

Cya
Roy
btw, does anyone know what the Powerstrip settings would be for the AE300

oh and it has ZERO dead pixels.. and the box and contents are in pristine condition....

Originally posted by RoyBad
btw, does anyone know what the Powerstrip settings would be for the AE300
I hope these help you -

VGA native (960x540):

PowerStrip timing parameters:
960x540=960,33,40,79,540,9,1,19,37750,1

Generic timing details for 960x540:
HFP=33 HSW=40 HBP=79 kHz=34 VFP=9 VSW=1 VBP=19 Hz=60

Linux modeline parameters:
"960x540" 37.750 960 993 1033 1112 540 549 550 569 +hsync +vsync

DVI (856x480):

PowerStrip timing parameters:
856x480=856,16,88,104,480,1,3,13,31828,3094

Generic timing details for 856x480:
HFP=16 HSW=88 HBP=104 kHz=30 VFP=1 VSW=3 VBP=13 Hz=60

Linux modeline parameters:
"856x480" 31.828 856 872 960 1064 480 481 484 497 -hsync -vsync

These timings are copied straight from Power Strip, so if you copy them into clipboard, you should be able to import them right back.

Opinions seem to say that DVI (856x480) look the best overall (the only downside being a frame of unused pixels around image, which can be taken care of by slightly zooming in the picture), DVI (848x480) looks very sharp too, followed very closely by 960x540 through VGA which is 1:1 pixel mapping (Windows desktop is said to look simply awesome in this mode). DVI (1280x720) is generally not quite as good as the other resolutions mentioned.

Timings for DVI (960x540) which is 1:1 pixel mapping have not been worked out yet, but it probably won't take very long.

And by the way, any DVI or VGA cables you use should be male on BOTH ends.

hi m8ys

ive got myself an AE300 from pricejapan i can confim it has a switiching power supply bought a uk mains lead for it and plugged it straight in works a charm exellent picture just need to get a ceiling mount and a scaler for it now!.

thanks

StAnToN

:eek:

Hi there, welcome to the forum.....

Congrats on your new Proj, you lucky devil !

You'reprobably going to be innundated with questions about the AE300, so I'm getting in early...

Did you have to pay import duty ? What was the landed cost of the Proj ?
Is this you're first projm how would you compare it to any other proj you've had?

On AVSforum there's been talk of a scaling artifact related to the screendoor smoothing technology of AE300 - momentary appearrance of screendoor on moving objects - have you seen this ?

Anyhope of some screen shots ?

All the best,

Sean G.

hi m8

didnt have to pay any import duty so far on the AE300.
total cost of the PJ was about £1334.00
ive had a seleco 320+ CRT and wasnt very happy with picture i was getting from and i can say that the AE300 picture is exellent blacks are very black on it as well.

ive seen the posts on the avs forum and so far from the the films ive watched i havent seen any of this scaling artifact mentioned.

ill try and get some piccys done once i have it sealing mounted and properly set up.

thanks

StAnToN

Well done on your purchase of the AE300!

>>...just need to get a ceiling mount and a scaler for it now!.

Why do you think you need an external scaler with the AE300? According to the manual you get AA quality via S-Video for PAL DVDs - maybe you don't need an external scaler?

I'm particularly interested on your feedback regarding the "screen door artifact" since you will be using PAL, I assume? Maybe it is a bit better for PAL?

Thanks in advance
Xander

Nice one Stanton, I'm currently building up the courage to place my order for an ae300 with PriceJapan. Hopefully I'll order in middle of this week. Let us know how you get on when you've seen more of it in action.

Congratulations on your purchases!:)

Probably I'll order from PJ myself as well, once I make up my mind which projector I want.

Currently I'm just torn between AE300 and Sony HS-10.

I have to say that I hardly wait to see some screen shots from the new AE300 owners...:) :)

Julia

Originally posted by Julia
Currently I'm just torn between AE300 and Sony HS-10.
Me too, although I'm more than likely gonna go with the HS-10. Best thing to do is wait until after Xmas and then consider getting either the AE300 or the HS-10, by then prices will probably have dropped a couple hundred, and we'll clearly know which is the better projector ;)

Wow, the difference in screendoor between the AE100 and the AE300 is HUGE. Great stuff :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom