Buying an 85" TV with the intention of returning it

DrD787

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I am asking this question on behalf of a church where we want to experiment with different size TV's before an upgrade to our audio-visual system involving replacing projection with LED monitors.
What I would like to do is buy an 85" TV but with no intention of keeping it. Now I know I can buy online (Amazon. JL etc) and return no questions asked other than I didn't like it. However I feel this is taking the Mickey and not within the spirit of distanced selling when I have absolutely no intention of keeping it.
So I'm looking for a supplier that will charge me a restocking fee for returning. I'm quite happy to pay up to a couple of hundred pounds for this facility, the real expense comes when we start mounting said screens in a listed building, and we want to get it right first time.

Why not make a mock up of the screen out of cardboard if it's the size your trying to work out? Much less hassle!

There are still a few places doing TV renting, perhaps see if there's anywhere locally that will rent you an 85" TV for a month.

Why not make a mock up of the screen out of cardboard if it's the size your trying to work out? Much less hassle!
I appreciate your input, but it's not quite the same is it ? Legibility is about brightness as well. Cardboard doesn't give off many lumens :)

Costco have 90 day no quibble returns but you’ll need to collect and return. Presumably membership is no issue for a church to obtain

I appreciate your input, but it's not quite the same is it ? Legibility is about brightness as well. Cardboard doesn't give off many lumens :)
No worries. From reading your post I thought it was the size you were looking at mainly. An LED monitor will likely offer a brighter picture than a projector. Depends how bright or otherwise the area of the church is I suppose.

Good idea, I thought that was a dead industry.
Here in East Anglia Hughes do both home and trade TV, although I don't know how far afield they offer it.

Worth looking for commercial screen rental options too as it sounds like you're not ultimate planning to buy a home TV anyway.

This is amusing. I can buy an 86” tv for about £1,500. A company just quoted me £2,700 for a 5 day rental !!

This is amusing. I can buy an 86” tv for about £1,500. A company just quoted me £2,700 for a 5 day rental !!
Maybe buy a 85” XH9505, use it to do the testing you want and then buy it off the church for a reasonable amount and take it home? Cracking huge tv with a discount, and everyone wins!! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Good idea, I thought that was a dead industry.
Just type TV Event Hire into Google. Lots of companies supporting people needing screens for exhibitions for a couple of days. Within 30 seconds found £150 per day for a 65 inch. (Yes I know you want bigger than that).

Just type TV Event Hire into Google. Lots of companies supporting people needing screens for exhibitions for a couple of days. Within 30 seconds found £150 per day for a 65 inch. (Yes I know you want bigger than that).
That's what I did and ended up with a company wanting to charge £2,700 for 5 days hire on something I could buy outright for £1,500

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom