• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Buying Amps, Projecotr and Televisions (Buying in the USA for use in England)

SilentSniper

I am looking to buy the following pieces of equipment and need to know which if any I can buy in the USA to use in England Both NTSC and PAL play a factor, as well as 100 - 240V, 50/60HZ.

- TWO 60 to 71 inch Plasma's (Pioneer, LG, or Panasonic preferred)
- One Projector (JVC HD100, Sony VW200, Sim2 C3X or equivalent)
- TWO Amplifiers (Onkyo or Denon preferred)
- One Blue Ray Player (whatever is king in the $1k price range)
- Two Subwoofers (Prefer Velodyne or REL if possible)

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP AS THE PRICE DIFFERENCE IS MASSIVE!

vex

Is it still massive after you add vat, import duty and the shipping on that lot. The last of which will be critical!

Then there is the set up and product support as dealers really will not want to touch without a largish premium.

V.

hornydragon

Distinguished Member
Blu ray are region coded so UK discs wont play. powersupply issues are massive (transformers for AMPs and large screens will be huge and expensive. Shipping (damage etc)is going to be a problem lots of people have looked at doing this, virtually none have! Are you a gambling man?

crestron boy

I am looking to buy the following pieces of equipment and need to know which if any I can buy in the USA to use in England Both NTSC and PAL play a factor, as well as 100 - 240V, 50/60HZ.

- TWO 60 to 71 inch Plasma's (Pioneer, LG, or Panasonic preferred)
- One Projector (JVC HD100, Sony VW200, Sim2 C3X or equivalent)
- TWO Amplifiers (Onkyo or Denon preferred)
- One Blue Ray Player (whatever is king in the $1k price range)
- Two Subwoofers (Prefer Velodyne or REL if possible)

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP AS THE PRICE DIFFERENCE IS MASSIVE!

the only thing your going to be able to buy there which will come in dual voltage and autoswitch is the denon amp. even then its going to be a pain to ship and with the warranty you'll probably have to return it to the states if anything went wrong. Customs and import/export can be a absolute pain. Its not as easy to get stuff out of the US as it use to b

Step down transformers will work ok you just need to make sure you get one big enough for the voltage that the unit takes. As a example a 42inch pioneer plasma takes 800watts of juice which i think would cost around £70 but you;d defo need one for each bit of kit.

Also some of the manufactors wont sell 220 kit to there us dealers unless they are marine dealers and have a market for 220v kit. I know for a fact most velodyne dealers in the states cant buy the 220v subs

Like i said its a total pain when i worked in marine it caused all sorts of logistical nightmares getting correctly voltaged kit and then importing it and we could purchase kit in the states and europe.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hello Farris

PAL and NTSC support is very much the least of your worries - and may be a good guide to your inexperience in this market :)

REL is a UK Manufacturer with different products for the US market!!!

Velodyne don't supply its US Dealers with 240v kit.

Warranty is a biggy - have you looked into the UK Repair costs/support on any of these items.

Having a 60" Display Repaired/serviced is a big enough hassle when you have UK Support (up to a Three Year On-site warranty with some Manufacturers) - a skip is probably the best place to stick a non UK/Euro malfunctioning 71" Display if you don't have local support from the Manufacturer.

Joe

hornydragon

Distinguished Member
a skip is probably the best place to stick a non UK/Euro malfunctioning 71" Display if you don't have local support from the Manufacturer.

Actually you have to pay to have it taken away and disposed in an environmentally friendly manner. WEEE and all, I have known a few people move fro the US to UK and as part of their corporate move have shipped screens over with furniture etc, most have regretted it, Especially the bloke who used a simle 2 pin to 3 pin travel adaptor and blew his screen up........he didnt realise the voltage was different!

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom