Buying amp/receiver - second hand or new?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Stubabes, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Stubabes

Stubabes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First of all would like to say thanks to everybody for all the advice given - this is my first post but iv been lurking around for a while. Over the years i have built up a bit of a budget bedroom set up (pictures will follow soon) which does not compare to the systems you guys have but it impresses folk nonetheless.

The audio side has been lagging for a while, been using the logitech z680 system and the subwoofer has just blown. Anyway my plan is to buy an amp and a pair of floorstanders, with a view of upgrading to 5.1 with the coming months. Looking to spend £250 - £300 on the amp and slightly more on speakers, and don't have a great deal of time to demo or accessibility to good shops.

Would my best bet be to get an ex-flagship amp such as as a denon 3801/3802 or sony ta-va777es or go for a brand new amp? Not bothered about fancy dsp effects more pure music quality, as the amp will be used 75/25 music vs films. Any advice anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks alot

Stuart

2. rhino2k

rhino2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,282
    THIS
    sony amp is getting some great reviews, and built in DAB is a real bonus. plus at £300 or less its a bit of a bargain too :smashin:

3. Rod_Bod

Rod_Bod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Even if you wanted a 777, actually getting one is an entirely different matter, took me 7 months of waiting to finally hunt one down. If you can get one for a non-ludicrous price though DO IT. Put it in Analogue Direct and you'll never believe you're listening to an AV Amp.

All the best.