1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying Amp/Receiver from Germany- how secure?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Boxster, Jan 1, 2004.

1. Boxster

Boxster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I notice several forum members have reported buying av receivers e.g. Yamaha from German discounters.
    The suppliers require bank transfers not credit cards.
    What are members experiences with respect to delivery, cost savings and any UK warranty issues?
    I reckoned savings in the region of £200 pounds can be achieved.

John.

2. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    HI 9996UK
    Havent ordered anything myself but all i do know is if it goes tits up and youve paid by bank transfer it would be much harder getting your money back(my wifes a manager for barclays bank)so seems strange why they dont except credit cards where most loses to yourself would be insured against.Credit card is one of the safest ways to part with your hard earned if it were my dosh id pay the extra for the peace of mind.
    Iam sure some members will disagree but you'd be surprised at the number of people that part with money then complain after theyve been ripped off.
    cheers Gonzo.

3. patmyhead

patmyhead
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    tried to buy my pj from germany a year ago
    they said in stock ,as they dident take card had to pay by bank transfer
    needless to say they dident have stock & after fobbing me off for nearly 3 months i eventualy got my cash back
    carnt now recall the german site it slips my mind
    there is some german sites that will take a card do a search much safer to use the card
    P@T

4. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've ordered a number of items from Germany, typically had to wait 4-6 weeks for delivery.

I ordered some stuff in November from a German dealer, haven't heard a peep from him since as he ignores my emails. I've no doubt I'll get the goods eventually based on past experience but it winds you up none-the-less!

5. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    I think German online retailers are as good as UK ones, if not better.
    Tell me
    - how many UK retailers ship outside UK
    - how many offers more than 1year warranty
    - how many offers you to pay by cash on delivery
    - how many UK retailers are cheaper than German ones

Not many at all. Loads of Swedish people order from the everyday, if you want proof, then go to www.dvdforum.nu/forum and www.prisjakt.nu/forum, the translation you will have to do it for yourself.

OK, I can't talk for every retailer, there are probably some crappy ones, as there are here, just look at pricerunner reviews, there seems to be plenty of sour apples.

I bought my projektor from Germany with superb service (even better than when I bought my speakers from already superb but gone hifijunkies.

Recommended retailers by the Swedes and they all got goooood prices for many things.
    www.techknikdirect.de takes credit cards
    www.mediacheckpoint.de offers cash on delivery and credit cards and they use UPS!
    www.big-screen.de I among others has bought my pj from them
    www.hificomponents.de Most people has got their stuff ok, it is the afterservice or if something goes wrong in the process of bank transfer which there are problems about, obs, it is not only the fault of the retailer when the money is not in their hands, often it has been the e.g. Swedish bank not transferring to the right account. When it comes to not wanting the product, it should be unopened and sent back in original packaging. But in general the prices are so good that they seem to take the risk.

Other sites which I haven't checked but one or two members in Swedish forum has something positive to say about
    www.benedictus-shop.de
    www.hirschille.de
    www.hififabrik.de
    www.schnaepp.de/
    www.tsn-cd.de
    www.medianess.de

In genera stay away from
    www.electronica24.de

German price engines
    http://www.preistendenz.de/
    http://www.preissuchmaschine.de
    http://www.guenstiger.de/gt/main.asp
    http://www.preistrend.de/
    http://www.geizhals.at/
    http://www.idealo.de
    http://www.preise-suchen.de/

Wasabi

6. Boxster

Boxster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Wasabi, very comprehensive reply, did some quick checks on Yamaha amps (1400), cost is £230 less than Pricerunner cheapest UK online retailer. I will research further.
    UK (and Sweedish) retailers must be retaining big margins.
    I guess the bank transfer is much riskier than credit cards but COD does not seem possible outside Germany.
    Not sure if Yamaha UK will honour warranty on these 'grey imports'.
    John.

7. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    9996uk,
    The question regarding warranty has been asked before of a manufacturer (can't remember if denon or Yam), and the answer is yes they will honour.
    Whilst they are 'grey imports' under EU law you are entitled to purchase from anywhere in Europe.

The only thing Denon/Yam could do is refuse to honour if the shop is not an authorised dealer, but I believe that does not apply to the majority of sites stated above.
    Also you will not currently get the standard 2 year EU warranty, only 12 months due to the fact that our government likes to take years over implementing laws that help the consumer (see EU Car dealership law).

Steve

8. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    Yepp, UK government is slow in implementing this EU directive, as they are in most things.

OBS, mediacheckpoint does offer COD for outside Germany, well at least for Sweden, and I got COD when I bought from big-screen.

Regarding margins, in the case of Sweden, they do have a 25% VAT as well as it is a tiny market compared to Germany, so it is understanding why margins or the price from the suppliers are a bit higher, but it shouldn't differ that much. But for the UK, there is no excuse why the prices here should be higher than in Germany, the VAT is similar 17.5% here vs 16% in Germany, and population is even bigger here, so competition should be tougher, but maybe the UK retailers and Suppliers are greedy. So I encourage people to buy cross country, thanks to Internet, so the retailers here sooner or later recognise the power of free trade. And when UK gov will have the directive implemented, we finally can get the 2year warranty, but it is strange agents here recognise that imported EU cars have 2 year warranty though. Servicing a car within 2 years is not a problem.

Wasabi

9. Anrasp

Anrasp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    @wasabi ... you think the UK suppliers are greedy ? Come over to Malta !! Ok we are a smal island but I give you an indication of some prices I find over here

RXV440RDS/HTR-5640 392 Stg
    RXV640RDS 530 Stg
    SR4400 440 Stg
    SR5300 530 Stg
    Pioneer VSX-D812 510 Stg
    Pioneer VSX-D912 620 Stg

I am hence looking for a supplier which will ship outsite the UK. As yet I have not found one. I will check some of those German sites.

Anrasp

10. Boxster

Boxster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wasabe, checked out http://www.hificomponents.de/ they have an English translation. The Yam 1400 is 663 euros (about £490)(£720 on Pricerunner) but on 45 days delivery, wired transfer required to secure order, so it must be a popular choice.
    I will try a direct e-mail to another supplier to establish cost of shipping etc.

11. stevieby

stevieby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    9996uk , the black colour one reads in stock if thats any help...

I am going to get one, heard one today, but for the price it's very good.

12. DarT

DarT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Purchased a Yamaha 1400 from germany in december, it was one of the cleanest and fast transaction i have ever made.

Placed the order on Sun/Mon with the unit in stock and it was delivered to my door by Friday of the same week.

The retailer was hifiregler.de if i remember rightly and including delivery charges i think it cost around £550 ish.

I also paid by credit card. They require you to send them a copy of the front and back of your card along with a copy of your passport page. Although i was initially worried about faxing a photocopy of my card, to date i have not had a problem, and anyway the bank give you certain safety factor.

Just to confirm you can read in an earlier thread that yamaha do and will honour the warranty.

My advise would be to go for it, and i would have no trouble in recommending this outfit.

13. Boxster

Boxster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks byronSP and DarT, checked out hifiregler and will send them an e-mail, as price is on enquiry.
    Will be interesting to see if any UK on-line retailers start to price match the Germans.

14. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    9996uk,
    I noticed the RRP in Euros for the 2400 a hifiregler, this appears to be very similar to the sterling £ price, not 25-30% more as you would expect.
    This may indicate that Yamaha are also supplying at an inflated price to us as possibly we are more willing to pay higher price that the europeans.
    Sounds like a similar issue to the car pricing rip-off that we have had to live with for a while. Car dealers told me they could not actually supply a car at trade price for the price that an import company brought it in from France. (maybe I'm gullible, but I did eventually believe the 3rd dealer !).

Interestingly I have'nt noticed the same price discrepancy with Denon amplifiers, their RRP seems similar to UK price, so possibly it's just Yamaha doing strange things.

Steve
    Edit: Strange the Z9 has a similar RRP to the UK.:confused: