1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

buying advice

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by blahblah, Aug 20, 2003.

1. blahblah

blahblah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I'm looking to replace my existing PC but the more I read these threads the more confused I'm getting.I was thinking of going into a TINY or similiar shop and buying one of these bundles. You know, 512 meg memory, 120gig hard drive free printer etc etc etc for a cost of about £600-£700. Now I know it all depends on what I want to use it for will determine what I buy so i'm asking you guys if it would be better to buy the boards and memory etc seperately and get it made up. ( who would do it for me if i'm not capable. Don't want to spend money then cock it up )Would it be best to go to an independant shop with my list of items for them to make a system. Would use it mainly for surfing, editing digital photos and hopefully downloading stuff to a burner ( films and music mainly) . Sorry for a long post but what should I do.
    :confused: :confused: :confused:

2. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Avoid places like Tiny (in fact especially anything to do with Time Computers)... if you have the courage to, building your own PC will give you immense satisfaction and will be a great learning experience although you're unlikely to save much money in the process. There are hundreds of online build your own PC guides around. Perhaps a search on Google will point you in the direction of a good one. The only expertise in terms of manual skills is "Screwdriver Competance" ;) As long a you have internet access whilst you build you'll also have all the support from "us lot on 'ere". So I highly recommend it!

If the idea makes you very uncomfortable then look at Dell they provide some of the best service in the business imho and they will build to your needs.

If you do go down the DIY route remember to ask and post before you buy anything to avoid incompatability issues :)

3. blahblah

blahblah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    You know, I think I may well go down the route you've suggested and build my own. Like you say, it would be a great learning experience. Just have to try and save up my pennies. Dell are doing int free at the moment though.Aaaargh wot to do?. Thanks for the advice about Tiny etc.:)

4. baldbird

baldbird

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be honest with you, my advice would be unless you're wel up on it don't build it yourself, but don't go to one of the nationals either.
    Find any local computer store check how long it's been around for - generally if they've been in business for more than 5 years they should be a good bet. Tell them how much you have to spenmd and what you're after and let them build it to suit your needs. On the whole you get a much better level of service from a local company and they tend not to rip you off when you need any further advice or upgrades etc.

But make sure they've been around a while - doesn't matter how big they are, just that they've been around and have a ggod reputation.

Always better than any of your Time/Tiny/PC World deal...
    Stop Globalisation with your purchase !!!!!!