Buying advice ?

alextheg

So I've whittled it down to a choice of two power amplifiers.

Iota AVXP1 £1059
Marantz mm8077 £1499

Both 7 channel , putting out 150 watts RMS @ 2 ch driven . Around 100 - 110 watts all channels driven.

Yes , cosmetically quite different. £450 price difference.....
Can anyone add anything to sway my imminent weekend decision / purchase ?

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
But seriously, I've not heard the Marantz so can't comment on its performance. But I have heard the IOTA and have written quite extensively about it on various Threads.

If you think you'd be getting something significantly better for your extra £450, then go Marantz. Personally, I'd say the IOTA will pair well with your Yamaha and once it was in place you'd never worry about your decision again.

Hope that helps!:)

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
Oh, and you can get a 5% discount on the IOTA taking it down to £1006! Give Ian a call to ask for the discount code.

t bone

Had the 8807 for a number of years and was a solid performer been around for awhile hasn't been upgraded yet i think, this might say something for it. The IOTA Has had lots of praise on this forum but not heard it so can't comment.

alextheg

Thanks for the replies. Any issues of hum from the marantz ? I know the 8077 has a fan but it's pretty quiet according to reviewers.

t bone

In all the years I had the Marantz I only heard the fan once don't think there's much to worry about on that front

alextheg

About the Iota. How hot does it get when pushing it a bit ? I like movies fairly high SPL in the daytime . Also how bright is the logo and switch ?

I'm pretty much decided on the Iota now , just can't justify nearly an extra £500 for the Marantz. It's also money towards the Focal's that are on my list .

Going to call Ian tomorrow .

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
About the Iota. How hot does it get when pushing it a bit ? I like movies fairly high SPL in the daytime . Also how bright is the logo and switch ?

I'm pretty much decided on the Iota now , just can't justify nearly an extra £500 for the Marantz. It's also money towards the Focal's that are on my list .

Going to call Ian tomorrow .

1. The IOTA doesn't get hot at all, certainly not compared to my Marantz SR 7011.

2. The logo and power button are both very bright. But this member asked Ian directly to provide a unit with softer lighting:

Answered - IOTAVX AVXP1 dimmer control from a Marantz processor

Don't forget to ask for your discount code! I think you're making a good choice, I would be amazed if the Marantz is £500 better and it means you have money to invest elsewhere to improve your system.

Let us know how you get on!:)

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom