Buying advice Xtreme X38HD - Iomega Pro HD - Popcorn A110

Over

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just found this site because I was searching for some reviews about External Multimedia storages/players. I realy want to buy something that can play 1080p mkv files, and 1080p wmv-s, uncompressed HD videos and stuff like that.

I have narrowed it down to 3 players:

1. Xtreme X38HD (312 USD) No HDD Info

2. Iomega Screenplay Pro HD 1TB (257 USD) Info

3. Popcorn Hour A-110 (312 USD) I guess an info isn't necessary after looking at the pinned topic here :)

So which one should I go for? All 3 look okay to me but I hope some of you have a bit more experience about the mentioned players.

No experience with 1 or 2

1 has the old sigma chip (8623) basically what's in the old tvix, so 1080p mkv, you can forget about.

2 Advertises as 720p/1080i so no 1080p

3 Definitely does 1080p mkv etc.

For the money I would say popcorn, as it's a more capable video device than the other two, but I must say again I have no experience of 1/2.

I just bought a PCH and it’s a very impressive piece of kit, I would highly recommend it.

No experience with 1 or 2

1 has the old sigma chip (8623) basically what's in the old tvix, so 1080p mkv, you can forget about.

2 Advertises as 720p/1080i so no 1080p

3 Definitely does 1080p mkv etc.

For the money I would say popcorn, as it's a more capable video device than the other two, but I must say again I have no experience of 1/2.

I realy don't know anything about these chips and stuff so You already helped a lot, thanks ;)

@toons: was it easy to set it up?

It's fairly simple really the 1. and probably 2. are using chip primarily designed for DVD playback, they have the power to playback xvid and might squeeze out some h264.

The PCH chip was designed primarily for BluRay/IPTV playback, and as a result is much more capable when it comes to HD.

Yes very easy, plugged it in, browsed the network for my share, added it and selected the movie (in MKV format)

Then found the options to change the Audio settings to digital and that was it!

Just looking at setting up YAMJ (pretty front end with movie covers), this looks bit harder if you're not computer savvy.

Thanks a lot guys this is enough information for me, I will definitely buy the PCH A-110 :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom