Buying advice: Samsung/LG or other Soundbar?

Evrlng

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I've been reading the forum for some time and am currently thinking about getting a soundbar. Other sound systems cannot be placed properly because of the furniture without making unnecessary compromises.

My TV is the LG OLED65C17LB (LG 65'' 4K OLED TV C1 | LG Deutschland / 65'' 4K OLED TV C1, pretty sure it's another name in the UK). My first thought was: an LG TV with a matching LG soundbar. However, apparently Samsung is the #1 for soundbars and most review sites recommend the Q990B or Q930B in the upper or upper-mid range.

On the other hand, the differences with, say, the S80QR, S95QR, SP8YA or SP11RA soundbars are often marginal (to me as a layman) in many reviews.

I use my TV with the PS5, I watch Netflix, Disney+ and Prime on it. Otherwise cable TV. Gaming also via the PS5. Good quality music streaming with Spotify wouldn't be bad either though. I don't know if a single soundbar is enough or if rear speakers are necessary. However, my feeling is that a soundbar + rear speakers will provide a better immersion.

Can you recommend a suitable soundbar? Is there a recommendation that always fits? Or does it ultimately come down to my subjective feeling and I have to order and test several soundbars?

tl;dr: I'm a n00b and no AV expert by any stretch. Which upper or upper mid range soundbar offers the best value for my money?

You’re right, the Samsung HW-Q990B is probably number 1 when compared to other sound bars which hit the markets in 2022.
However that doesn’t always means is the best for you, some prefer LG, Sonos etc.
Are you able to demo them out anywhere?
Worst case scenario, watch and read as many reviews as possible and go with your gut.

I am really loving the Q990B, can fully understand why it’s referred as the number 1 bar for movies / Atmos.

You’re right, the Samsung HW-Q990B is probably number 1 when compared to other sound bars which hit the markets in 2022.
However that doesn’t always means is the best for you, some prefer LG, Sonos etc.
Worst case scenario, watch and read as many reviews as possible and go with your gut.

I am really loving the Q990B, can fully understand why it’s referred as the number 1 bar for movies / Atmos.
For sure you have better quality than Samsung: Loewe, Sonos,Bose, Ambeo..but the budget its higher

Unfortunately no. My local electronics store has a small listening room, but there are usually only setups from the lower price range (< 400-500 €).

Guess going with my gut and maybe ordering some and returning them seems to be the way to go. Shits even harder than getting a new and fitting PC setup (finding the right GPU can be a pain in the ass). If there was at least a more or less consistent picture in the reviews 😩

For sure you have better quality than Samsung: Loewe, Sonos,Bose, Ambeo..but the budget its higher
However, I have the impression that with brands like Sonos, Bose or Teufel, you pay even more just because of the brand name. And some brands/products are out of my price range. I didn't want to spend more than 1000 €.

Unfortunately no. My local electronics store has a small listening room, but there are usually only setups from the lower price range (< 400-500 €).

Guess going with my gut and maybe ordering some and returning them seems to be the way to go. sh*ts even harder than getting a new and fitting PC setup (finding the right GPU can be a pain in the ass). If there was at least a more or less consistent picture in the reviews 😩

However, I have the impression that with brands like Sonos, Bose or Teufel, you pay even more just because of the brand name. And some brands/products are out of my price range. I didn't want to spend more than 1000 €.
I purchase 1st Sonos, and after i give back and buy Loewe. Its other quality. Even better. For sure the brand its also in price. Its like anything else : auto, TVs, stove etc. Because correct will be to play more for better quality and comfort.
You need to check 1st and after decide
For 1000 Euros max then you can make your analysis with jbl, samsung, lg , sony (lower modes) etc.
Bose, Sonos, Loewe, Ambeo, even Philips the last one its more than 1000 euro.

My only advice would be not to buy Bose. Their aftersales support is nonexistent and, for my purposes, the "smart" features of their Smart Soundbar 300 just don't work. The sound quality of this soundbar for speech isn't bad, but I could probably have got a device of equal quality without the smart features at half the price. The TV also keeps disconnecting from it (as it's connected via HDMI ARC, there's no reason why that should happen) and I then have to fiddle about to get it to reconnect.

My only advice would be not to buy Bose. Their aftersales support is nonexistent and, for my purposes, the "smart" features of their Smart Soundbar 300 just don't work. The sound quality of this soundbar for speech isn't bad, but I could probably have got a device of equal quality without the smart features at half the price. The TV also keeps disconnecting from it (as it's connected via HDMI ARC, there's no reason why that should happen) and I then have to fiddle about to get it to reconnect.
I didnt have Bose but i speak about Bose 900 and sub 700 and not other models that are lower. Anyway mabye its a problem with your soundbar or settings from your TV? if they dont help you after you purchase it then its bad.

I wonder if there will be some good deal during the upcoming Amazon Prime Day event. Have two LG TV's and like the thought of a matching LG soundbar but keep being drawn to the Sonos Beam.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom