• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Buying advice please

skyshadow5

Novice Member
My gaming TV (old Sony 40" KDL-40W2000) has just died on me so I need a replacement. Old TV was a full HD TV with no 3D or Smart features, it was just a TV (with Freeview) so looking for a new one is an absolute minefield!

It will be used 95% of the time for gaming, and the remaining time for TV (Sky F1 HD) & watching Blu-ray (through PS3 - which I believe has 3D capability).

TV will have Xbox 360, PS3, PS4 & Sky+HD box plugged in to it so 4 HDMI nice, 3 acceptable. Won't be using a separate amp or Sound Bar (initially) as gaming is done using a headset (so as not to pi** off the wife) but may get SB later for when watching BD.
My PC is on most of the time so Smart TV is neither here nor there and not an essential but if it is part of the setup then fine.
I currently have around 20 tabs open in the browser looking at Samsung's, Sony's, Panasonic's, Philips and LG's; it is so hard to choose.
Budget is probably £700 tops, size I'd like is anything from 40" to 50", so with all this in mind can you guys suggest a replacement for my now deceased KDL-40W2000? TIA.

Clive

vickster

Distinguished Member
2013 Sony 42w805 around £600, or £750 will get you a 47"? Or look around for a w6 model, will get a 50" w656 for £700, but no 3d. Lowest lag for gaming of any of the brands

Buy in store for extended warranties

skyshadow5

Novice Member
Thanks for the reply vickster, what are your opinons on these:
Samsung UE46F6500 (£699.95 - JL & Richer Sounds)
Panasonic Viera TX-L47ET61B (£699.95 - JL)
Sony Bravia KDL48W605 (£699 - Currys)
SONY BRAVIA KDL42W829B (£699.95
Sony KDL42W705BBU (£599 - Tesco)

vickster

Distinguished Member
All good tvs but if input lag important, sony better. Personally, I don't game, so I'd go for the samsung for smart options, followed by panasnoic as the best looking

I'd want a 5 year warranty so nothing from currys

skyshadow5

Novice Member
So for my price range, and with gaming in mind, would you consider the Sony Bravia KDL42W829B for £699.95 from Richer sounds a good deal?

vickster

Distinguished Member
Not the best black levels as an iOS panel, was the weaker 3d model in last years range, but was a grand rrp, smart

Sony KDL-47W805A/ KDL47W805 (W8) Review

If wall mounting, it uses a different non VESA system I think

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom