1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying Advice on Sony STR-VA555ES needed.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by bjcol, Dec 10, 2002.

Tags:
  1. bjcol

bjcol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently own the following equipment which I am considering replacing with the Sony STR-VA555ES Receiver:

Sony EP9ES Dolby Digital Decoder
    Marantz PM66SE (Older version of the 6010 OSE) Stereo Amplifier
    Yamaha DSP492 Dolby Prologic 3 channel Amp/Processor

I want to do this so that I can reduce the number of ‘Black Boxes’ my girlfriend complains about and to be able to benefit from the extra formats the Sony will offer.

What I would like peoples opinions on is whether the Sony in Stereo will be on a par with the Stereo performance I get from the Marantz PM66SE. I plan to keep my Marantz OSE CD Player as I’m quite happy with it. Any advice would be greatly received.

Regards

Ben

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I haven't heard either your existing stereo amp or your proposed purchase but in general AV amps do not reproduce music as well as stereo amps costing much less.

They just have to stuff too much into the box to keep the bells and whistles merchants happy.

3. bjcol

bjcol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it helps I spent £230 on the Marantz amp about four years ago!

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Try and have a listen to a Marantz AV amp as people reckon that they tend to be more musical than most

5. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you need to have a listen-I find the sony excellent for stereo music, I haven't tried your model stero amp but have tried others. I chose the sony for its musical ability as well as its other attributes and have been very happy with it from day one but make sure you listen to a 'run' in one not straight from the box.

6. iwatkins

iwatkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the 555 and find it's musical abilities to be very good.

I would say that you might find that a dedicated stereo amp to be better, but to be honest, I find the 555 to be good enough but I'm the first to admit I'm no audiophile. ;)

Edited to add - Totally agree with Stranger (above). The amp does sound better after about 12 - 18 hours use. I've no idea why, it just does.

Cheers

Ian