1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying advice Hitachi 55PMA550E or Pioneer PDP-505XDE

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by duvl, Nov 12, 2004.

1. duvl

duvl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Newbe to plasmas - these seem to get the thumbs up from mags etc. Not worried ref sound but picture quality a must as is HDTV capability. I've not seen them in the flesh so Tottenham Court Rd needs a visit unless anyone knows of either local to Slough, Windsor or Uxbridge etc? Both can be found for about £4000 so which one - or perhaps another plasma altogether????
    Many thanks.

2. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Harrods will be a better bet that TCR for viewing.

Personally I would wait to see a Panasonic 50PHD7 next month (£3800 I think from AV-Sales) or an Optima RD50 DLP at half the price (if the fan isn't too noisey)

3. duvl

duvl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Seems the 435xde has quite a following on these forums despite what appears to be some iffy reviews. Is the 505xde essentially the same but just larger? Anyone seen
    a Panasonic TH50PV30 yet?

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You're just looking for an integrated TV are you? Depending on your other components, ie if you've got digital TV and a sound system, your list might be much broader than you think.

5. duvl

duvl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Interesting visit to Harrods (thanks Chris5) and TCR today.
    Harrods have a fab demo of the future, in terms of TV picture quality – namely, a
    viewable HDTV picture (courtesy of Blu-ray) on a Sony KDEP50MRX1 plasma screen. Absolutely out of this world and a big clue that it’s a must if buying now to get a screen that is HDTV ready or upgradeable. Hence with that in mind, an HDMI connection would be sensible.
    Ref my shortlist –
    The Pioneer has HDMI but is 1280x768 pixels with a contrast ratio of 1100:1.
    The Panasonic doesn’t have HDMI but is 1366x768 with a contrast ratio of 3000:1
    As ever you can never view them both next to each other or with them being fed with the same source. A DVD played on both didn’t show up a difference to me but they where 10 yards apart. (Harrods)

The other Panasonic just released is the plasma panel TH-50PHW7. Again a 3000:1 contrast and 1366x768 pixels but no HDMI. Saw it on TCR for £2599 but no picture was being displayed.

So experts, what’s your advice now? Is it the Pioneer with HDMI or one of the Panasonics with more pixels and contrast? Why didn’t Pioneer up the C/R and pixels or Panasonic include HDMI then at least one would tick all three boxes?

Aaaaaaaaaarh!

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    My advice is to go and see someone who knows what they are talking about. If that PHD7 is really £2599 on TCR do us all a favour, tell us where, I will run up and buy 10 now and 10 next month. Than will bankrupt him nicely. The PE30 won't ru n the blu ray, cos it's 720p, the pioneer you seem clued up on, but Panasonic are due to release an HDMI card for the PHD7.

7. duvl

duvl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    At last found somewhere to view both the Panasonic TH-50PV30 and the Pioneer PDP-505XDE next to each other -
    Lakes in Bracknell. Only DVD playback possible though. Played the same DVD simultaneously on both screens and if anything I'd say the Panasonic just edged it. Shame though, not to see either an analogue or digital TV picture so I'm still undecided. Slightly (imho) better picture or HDMI???? Going back with my wife for her casting vote on picture quality later in the week.

8. duvl

duvl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Wife agreed with me that the Panasonic edged it - but with no HDMI I’m reluctant to purchase. My attention is now on the TH-50PHD7, though yet to see one. I am however wondering why it is not a listed model on the Panasonic web site - http://www.panasonic.co.uk/plasma-tv/index.htm

or in the brochure. (Brochure lists a TH-50PHW7)

What's the difference between a PHD7 and a PHW7?
    Anyone care to enlighten me?

9. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    duvl,

The PHD Models are from Panasonics Commercial arm. The PHW models are from Panasonics Consumer arm.

Differencies between the 2 ranges are, to the best of my knowledge
    1. A few technical differences between the 2 (not clear what though).
    2. Different distribution chain
    3. Might have problems with repairs in the UK on commercial range?? not sure though
    4. Commercial range is about £1000 cheaper than the Consumer range (was for series 6 anyway)

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Tis would be a very fine choice. The HDMI board is not yet available, but it's expected in a matter of weeks. It's retro fittable, and as long as they get the spec right, it will be marvellous. There is a DVI board for this screen already, but it's fraught with problems except for PC connections, hence the slight hesitation. Of course it's a monitor only panel, you will be in for some bits and pieces to get the best out of it, I wouldn't use a scart connection for instance. The potential picture quality is even higher than the Viera model, I have installed several 6 series ones recently, with very pleasing results. Don't worry about the PHW/PHD confusion, it's among the very best screens on the UK market. It is of course monitor only, I assume you'll go for a surround system of some sort?

Edited in view of Chis's post. The differences are the colour of the bezel, and the 'channel' they are sold through. The price difference is about £100 these days, bit more reasonable?

11. duvl

duvl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks again Chris5 and MAW. As I already have a surround system and sky+ you can see why I’m reluctant to pay for freeview and speakers. It now seems that the way to go is PHD7/PHW7 with HDMI to tick the right boxes.
    The next hurdle is to see one? The TCR one I suspect was either labelled wrongly or a grey import so the hunt continues..........

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Back of a lorry at that price, it's no longer profitable to grey import anyway.

13. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Maw, are there now no technical differencies between 50" series 7 Commercial & consumer models, or is it still too early to know for sure?

It's just with the series 6, I remember reading that one of the models did not support 3:2 pulldown (very bad!), but I can't remember which one.

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I was not aware of that difference, but then all the commercials I sold were either to businesses, or I sold a scaler too. So never had to find out I guess. I can't see why they'd bother to leave it off, might just be someone trying to justify the exta money?

15. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Thanks MAW.

P.S. I know this is :offtopic: but, I'm currently torn between the 50PHD/W7 and the Optima RD50 DLP with it's native res of 1280x720 (good for HDMI). Should I consider this as an important advantage when making my decision on a purchase?

16. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    IMHO no, choose for other reasons, don't worry about that one too much. At that resolution, 720p is great whatever. and don't forget thay until genuine hi def comes along, you are simply exporting the scaling. If you are going for a denon A11 or Onkyo 1000 dvd then fine, but I don't see a pio 868 outperforming a panasonic 50 in scaling ability particularly.

17. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Thanks MAW..... oh if only that HDMI board was available.... :)

18. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Not long to wait so we believe anyway.