Buying advice for an 82 year old please.

cheddarcaveman

Standard Member
Had a 43" samsung Plasma since 2010 but it's just beginning to have "pink clouding" on the screen when it's very light, against sky etc, so time to buy a new one.
Yep, you guessed it, which one should I buy to meet the below requirements.
Quite happy with a 43" as the room isn't that big and my budget is up to £500 (over three weeks pension 😩)
I want ease of connection, I currently use HDMI connectors so I guess we're looking at Wi-Fi, Bluetooth or similar.
I currently use a set top box to access an on line service which I subscribe to, and feed it into the TV via HDMI cable but ideally I'd like to be able to program it into the TV along with my VPN provider but have no idea what the TV would need tp accomplish this.
Sound is also very important as I am going deaf and use hearing aids and usually find movie sound muffled and have even resorted to sub titles. I'd love to get away from that! Someone has suggested a Sound Bar but they cost as much as a TV so out of my budget!
Especially now with all this lockdown business we watch a lot more of the regular programs, especially wild life, and I like my sport.

Any guidance will be very much appreciated.

tvdavid

would this be to big?

cheddarcaveman

Standard Member
Thanks for that tvdavid. Bit too big and over budget I'm afraid. Never heard of this brand, do you speak from experience on it?

tvdavid

tvdavid

found this but may have to phone up if its liked

cheddarcaveman

Standard Member
Thanks again tvdavid for taking the trouble. ike the look of both of these but need to make sure I can access my on-line provider and that I can stream from my laptop without having to run a cable.
I don't understand a lot ofd the jargon used to sell tis these days!

zwanchef

Standard Member
Your not the only one cheddarcaveman,it’s a blooming minefield !!
Especially when you start readin reviews and the majority are **** plus .

JustTheFacts

I had a 2009 Panasonic plasma that I replaced with a Sony 43X800E (IPS panel). The Sony 43X800E far exceeds the picture quality of my Panasonic Plasma. I also own a 48 LG CX OLED and for my use their isn't a huge difference.

Your Plasma has a perfect viewing angle. If you buy a VA panel this viewing angle will be greatly reduced. The Sony 43X800E is a IPS panel and so it has a wide viewing angle. I have been reading AVForums for four years and I still haven't been able to notice most of the discrepancies that are reported on AVForums about IPS panels. The differences amoung TVs on AVForums are highly embellished.

You will get a better idea of a TVs satisfaction amoung actual owners by going to a supplier website like curries and looking at the reviews.

Reviews on social media are for gamers and people that watch movies in a dark room. If you don't watch your TV in a dark room a IPS panel is an excellent choice. If you view your TV straight on then a VA panel is the way to go since it has better contrast ratio and so performs better in dimmly lit rooms.

cheddarcaveman

Standard Member
What device are you intending to use to cast or screen share to the TV?
Sorry, I have no idea what that means 😩
I subscribe to an on line TV streaming service which I currently feed into the TV via HDMI either from a set top box or my laptop. I'd like this to be wireless. (if that's what you were asking?)

cheddarcaveman

Standard Member
I had a 2009 Panasonic plasma that I replaced with a Sony 43X800E (IPS panel). The Sony 43X800E far exceeds the picture quality of my Panasonic Plasma. I also own a 48 LG CX OLED and for my use their isn't a huge difference.

Your Plasma has a perfect viewing angle. If you buy a VA panel this viewing angle will be greatly reduced. The Sony 43X800E is a IPS panel and so it has a wide viewing angle. I have been reading AVForums for four years and I still haven't been able to notice most of the discrepancies that are reported on AVForums about IPS panels. The differences amoung TVs on AVForums are highly embellished.

You will get a better idea of a TVs satisfaction amoung actual owners by going to a supplier website like curries and looking at the reviews.

Reviews on social media are for gamers and people that watch movies in a dark room. If you don't watch your TV in a dark room a IPS panel is an excellent choice. If you view your TV straight on then a VA panel is the way to go since it has better contrast ratio and so performs better in dimmly lit rooms.
I sit directly in front of the TV while her indoors sits next to me at about 20º from head on.
Yes I'm in touch with Curries, John Lewis and BT sales as well.

Dodgexander

With a smart TV you'd use the apps on the TV itself rather than your laptop, so nothing has to be wireless. I only asked because it seemed like you wanted to share what you see on your laptop on your TVs screen.

If you can still find one, Hisense were selling a Roku TV in Argos, its one of the easiest to use TVs and has good picture quality to boot. Otherwise I'd go for a Samsung or LG model such as the Samsung TU7000 or LG UN7300.

The latest video from AVForums

Bowers PI7 wireless in-ear headphones review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom