1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying advice and guide

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by theroux, Sep 8, 2004.

1. theroux

theroux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just looking for some advice
    The plasma/LCD is mainly for TV (NTL cable) and DVD. WHich one would you choose.
    1)Panasonic TH42PWD6BX £1700 (richer sounds)
    2)Hitachi 42PD5200 £2800
    3)Panasonic Viera TH42PE30B £2741
    4)Samsung LW32a33WX £1999 (32 inch LCD)
    5)Sharp LC37HV4E £2500 (37 inch LCD - richer sounds)

Are LCD's much better/longer lasting
    And if plasma better, 1,2 or 3
    HAve been desperate to get a plasma/LCD and cant wait any longer.. there's one everywhere i turn and i want one too. So any help/ideas/contributions/discussions will help my decision please.
    The general concensus on this forum seems to be along the panasonic route. No mention of the samsung although i saw the screen in curry's and it looked much better than the others.
    Thank you. :thumbsup:

2. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    philips 32pf9986 £1999 or philips 30pf9975 £1750

3. Up The Spurs!

Up The Spurs!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where do you get a 32pf9986 from for 1999?

4. Parklife

Parklife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Beware of veiwing in places such as Curries!! Also their staff are not the bset around!!

Out of the list I would opt for the Panasonic PW6. I have one and is absolutely superb. Great looking and the PQ is awesome. It also will downscale 720p (which the viera will not accept) which will be a must for future High Definition.

You have to be aware that this has no speakers, but you can get some panasonic ones for about 400 or you can connect others. Also the PW7 is out very soon so it may be worth hanging on as this is supposed to be rumoured to have a HDMI input.

5. theroux

theroux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thnaks for advise. Is the new PW7 panny much better and any ideas how much it'll cost. Not too keen on phillips by the way as have friends who have had problems with theirs... dunno which model though.
    Anyone with the samsung or hitachi??

6. thermidor

thermidor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well - i saw the Samsung LW32A33WX at the Test Suite at Samsung (just off the M4) and its awesome. But I'm no expert. I want to know whether to get plasma or LCD - but it like comparing apples to oranges. Because they're measured in different ways, contrast ratios dont make sense. 4000:1 on a plasma really equates to 200:1 if you alter it to be the same scale as the LCD panel (or something like that). Everyone has an opinion, but noone seems to be able to answer anything other than "Get one of these because I have one and its great". Surely there must be a definitive answer. However - I'm just going to take the plunge and get the Samsung. Not the trendiest brand - but the new model with the glass front looks great and has a pretty good picture if you ask me. And at 32" its not so big that my living room will look like the foyer of an insurance company. Unless anyone wants to tell me I'm about to make the biggest mistake of my life . . . . .

7. Parklife

Parklife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    The PW7 should be out at the end of this month. Not much info on it at the moment. I don't think it will come in at current PW6 prices, especially as the PW6 is a bargin at the moment. The PW6 is still a superb screen and highly recommended by many on this board.

With regard to thermidor "Everyone has an opinion, but noone seems to be able to answer anything other than "Get one of these because I have one and its great". Surely there must be a definitive answer"

Can't see there will ever be a definitive answer. All posts and reviews are always going to based on the writer's opinion. If people are honest enough to point out any flaws with the screen they have then this makes opions very useful.

In my opinion when in the market for my Plasma, the PW6 outclassed anything else I saw. The only issue I have is a slight lip synch issue with certain sky channels (only noticable if you really concentrate!). I have found this does not really bother me.

Hope this helps

8. theroux

theroux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the panasonic is 42 inch and has very good reviews from all on this forum. it appears that around 20% of those here have it i think. It's cheap and 42inches. The samsung however i agree has a brilliant screen and is an LCD but only 32inches. Hmmmm.... dilemma. Just seen a thread about the PW7... will leave that out of the equation. About £2600.

9. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Th PW7 is not out yet and the first month it will be
    sold at a premium price. Janurary will see it at the £2000 mark.

10. zenden

zenden
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also have been looking at the lcd and plasmas in Currys and the one that hit me for six was the Samsung LW32a33WX £1999 (32 inch LCD), I also think that perhaps you can go to large but the proportions on this regarding where it will go and the quality of the picture this gave me was great.If there is anything about the same I would also like to know about, it all the best.
    Zenden

11. theroux

theroux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ANyone with the samsung out there. I'll be interested to knwo what you think. And thermidor, if you getthe samsung please please lemme know what you think of it. And with regards to hitachi, everyone keeps talking bout 'ALIS'... whats that and why is it not good. ANd then there's the PW6 with the 'screendoor effect'. Man..... how come it's so difficult to choose a plasma/LCD.