1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying abroad

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by drewboy, Dec 23, 2001.

1. drewboy

drewboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I was wondering whether somebody could give me some advice?
    I'm off to Hong Kong and Bangkok in Jan as part of my honeymoon and would like some advice on buying a DV camcorder whilst we're out there.
    i.e. where to go? prices? import tax? which is better HK or BK? warranties? etc etc.

We do have a 6 hour stop over in dubai if this might be another good place to buy one?

I might also need some help and guidence in the "which to buy" department. I know nothing about camcorders in general but from reading some of these posts I know I want dv in/out.

So recommendations for a decent newbie camcorder that will enable me to be more inventive as i get better would be great. cost = around £1000

Lots of love and xmas puddings,
    Drew.

2. colinrbarrett

colinrbarrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you're buying in the Far East make doubly sure you're buying a PAL model - it's not that they're not available (they are, of course) but sometimes the vendor won't make it obvious to you. PAL is always denoted as part of the model name on the main body and usually on the serial plate on the underside.

The other thing to be careful about is that not every salesperson in distant locations (from Europe) understands the DV-in issue. It's only a big deal in EU countries where a higher import duty is slapped on incoming camcorders that have video inputs (DV or analogue).

To many, if it has a FireWire socket it's a DV-in model (it's factory-set function which is then disabled for EU markets unless the it's destined to be sold with DV-in and therefore subject to higher tariffs).

There are some exceptionally good deals to be had in Hong Kong and if you can get a decent camcorder for a significantly lower price than in the UK then go for it! (You shouldn't have warranty problems with the main brands like Sony, Panasonic, Canon - after all, why shouldn't you buy a camcorder on your travels?).

Hope it works out OK. Enjoy the honeymoon!! :) (Decent videos only, please!).

Colin

3. drewboy

drewboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice. I'll try and keep those holiday videos to mainly temples and elephants.
    I think I've chosen the two most likely models. Panasonic DS38 or the Sony TRV30.
    Both in different price brackets, both have been given excellent reviews and both will do the trick. Would like to have the Sony if I can get it cheap enough.

I'll let you all know which one wins in Feb when we come back.

Happy New Year,
    Drew.