1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying Abroad

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by woody123, Nov 3, 2003.

1. woody123

woody123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm thinking of buying a Yammy 2400. Looking at the UK prices I can expect to pay £930 ish for one.

I've found a web site thanks for these forums http://www.hifi-regler.de/ that can for it for around £610. Quite a saving and worth a punt. Spoke to Yammy as well and they will honour any warranty.

Does anyone have any experience of this site or purchasing abroad - any traps to be aware of please.

Any suggestions as to any power problems as well?

Cheers guys

James.

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    You'll have to add import tax and VAT to the German price.

3. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    No you won't - you can buy from anywhere in the EU & pay tax in that country (the German web site's prices include German VAT). Import to the UK is free of duties. One nice big single market. Downside will be time and potentially the inability to pay by Credit Card - seems as though some want you to pay the money by bank transfer which is another niggle since we have the good old pound and they have the Euro so there may be fees to pay there.

4. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I stand corrected. :blush:

5. DarT

DarT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are there any other problems, because as the original thread said, the savings are large on the yamaha's over in germany.

The delivery is currently around 45 days, but for a couple of hundred pounds, it is worth it.

I am assuming there is no elec supply issues ?

6. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I found a german site that appeared to accept my credit card. (I can not remember which).
    I stlll chickened out and have not ordered yet.
    I'm still very tempted, but I'm not sure it will be as good as my old DSP-A1 which is it to replace.

Steve.

7. michaelab

michaelab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    A year or so ago I bought my Philips DVDR 890 from www.computeruniverse.de and they accepted my credit card provided I also faxed them a photocopy of the front and back of it with my signature. Service was spot on. I'm half German (and so speak German ;) ) but they are perfectly happy to deal in English. Their website has an "English" version.

I was so impressed with them that I recently bought a DVD writer for my PC from them. Same excellent service.

Don't know if they sell Yammy gear though.

Many other German websites for some reason won't accept credit cards, or will only accept them from German addresses. Some of them accept COD :eek: and most accept bank transfers.

Michael.

8. spiderv6

spiderv6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many German companies (on the net or in the high street) do not accept credit cards - the fees charged by the credit card companies are very high and most retailers refuse to take the hit.

It is very normal to buy things COD - the german post office is set up to operate that way.

Equally, a common way to operate is to send the money bank-to-bank in advance. Seems weird in the UK, but that is just the way it works in Germany!

It is also quite common to order things, have them delivered, receive the bill some days later and pay it within the month.

A lot of transactions are based on trust - even when the parties have no idea who they are dealing with.

To the question - there are no real pitfalls buying abroad if you use a reputable company. How you verify that is the tricky part.

I've done it on many occasions and saved a fortune. If you pay by credit card then you really have nothing to worry about as the CC company will protect you from a bad deal.

9. jasper_mccrea

jasper_mccrea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    You can ask for the VAT to be removed, and pay it in the UK, AFAIK.

For Germany, this is not a saving, as VAT is 16% there.
    Jasp