1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

buying a watch online

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ianlecompte, Oct 18, 2005.

1. ianlecompte

ianlecompte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    hi to you all.i,m looking to buy a watch off the net,a seiko divers watch to be precise.anyway the best price i have found is on e-bay,it appears to be a uk seller,as most are from hong kong.
    now heres the thing.is it really a genuine seiko or a very expensive copy,has anyone bought a watch from ebay ? any help would be grateful.
    i would do a link to the page but i,m not to hot with a pc,sorry.if you search for seiko submariner then check out the buy it now one for £79.99 by a place called richwatches.
    cheers
    ian :thumbsup:

Edit by Ian J - Link is here

2. Drd

Drd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +246
    I've bought 4 watches off e-bay and they've all been very nice.My best buy was a very nice Ferrari watch for 1p!I've not bought any watches that I expected to be anything special,this purchase is a little more risky,but could the seller really con 644 people?I would buy it with reasonable confidence if you like it,after all,could you guarantee that a watch bought elsewhere is not a good fake?
    Regards
    Ian

3. reevesy

reevesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,186
    well if you got it from argos you could be fairly confident :D

4. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,225
    i recently returned from a far east tour and went to Hong Kong and also China, now if your saw the level of quality of the fakes you would be amazed! After returning from the far east i now would not buy anything from ebay expecting it to be real if the person has more than one on sale ( i see it as if the person has one, he could have got it as a gift, if he has hundreds he's got a bulk batch of fakes) . i once bought a pair of adidas martial art trainers to replace a pair had these turned out to be fake, i could tell because i owned a pair from a shop in london, a lot of people had left him good feedback because they were happy with the fakes he was selling and as they had not had the real things before they could not tell they were fake , so unknowingly left him good feedback, even after a complaint was lodged against ebay about the seller selling fakes they did nothing, so he was able to carry on selling fakes. i would buy with caution if i was you.,

5. Drd

Drd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +246
    But Shahedz,are you really claiming that you can tell if goods are fake but a group of over 600 people who obviously have an interest in watches cannot!I do have a couple of watches that cost 4 figures as well as my 1p watch,and a very nice fake Breitling.I'm not an expert,but I can certainly see the difference in quality and I suspect at least one person in over 600 may be unhappy if there was any chance these watches are fakes.There are huge profits made in watch sales so it's not impossible to find a genuine watch selling cheaply.If this guy sells 500 watches at £20 profit per watch it's a lot better than 10 at £100 profit.

6. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,225
    thats the thing, what i posted in my thread earlier was the level of fakes in Hong Kong and China were so good, that it was impossible to tell the difference, my friend has a real Tag and he couldnt tell the difference with the fake we saw in Hong Kong, There are varying degrees of fakes you can buy out there, the more you spend the better the fake, even the most expensive fake is barely £50, i went to this market off Nathan Road and i was taken by the market stall owner to what i can only describe as Aladdin'c Cave of fakes, and believe me they were so good, that i would not buying anything from ebay now from Hong Kong especially coinfident that it is real, reason being the fakes from there are just too good!

7. Drd

Drd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +246
    Ok,but if the fakes are that good does it matter if you accidentally buy one as long as the price is right (ignoring for now the legal arguements).In which case there are over 600 very happy people who actually have fakes but don't know it.It just shows what it really costs to make a decent watch.

8. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,225
    i have no problems with some one buying a fake one, i just wouldnt want someone spending a lot of money thinking they are buying a real one which could be a fake .

9. ianlecompte

ianlecompte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    thanks ian for the link.well i,m really confused,i,m not surprised to hear about the alladin,s cave in hong kong,after all if you buy a watch from a stall seller with i guess no paper work then you know its going to be fake,but buying from a watch dealer who claims it to be original and covered by a warranty surely this is not quite the same,although i,m not clear as to wether the warranty is from him or seiko.
    i,m afraid i dont share your view drd,i dont mind spending £25 for a fake rolex from a market stall in crete,but near on a £100 for a fake,no chance.i might as well buy something real for that sort of cash,anyway thanks to you all.
    ian

10. mrmcdean

mrmcdean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I was looking for a nice seiko watch a while back on Ebay but almost all of them were overseas and I didnt fancy the risk. In the end I didnt have enough money to buy a watch but I still have this seller on my sellers list, if I ever get enough cash I think I'll be getting one from them, they seem to have a very good rep built up over a relatively short period of time.

By the way, I have no idea who runs the retailer, have never bought anything from them so have no idea about the goods but over 3000 happy customers surely cant be wrong.

Hope the link works :rolleyes:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/WristMeister_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm