• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Buying a used Pioneer Kuro PDP-508XD? What to expect?

ericone

Banned
Hi guys!

I found this used Pioneer Kuro PDP-508XD. Haven't been able to take a look at it yet, but as I understand it's 50" and 720p resolution. Seems it got good reviews back in the day (2007) but I'm not sure how it holds up today. How is the picture and the black levels/contrast compared to something like the Last gen panasonic plasmas? Could this be something worth buying cheap and enjoying while waiting for better OLEDS?

SonOfSJ

Prominent Member
You need to insert a better internet link, the one you have just now takes you to all sorts of things, none of them specifically being a 508XD.

fluxo

Distinguished Member
Hi guys!

I found this used Pioneer Kuro PDP-508XD. Haven't been able to take a look at it yet, but as I understand it's 50" and 720p resolution. Seems it got good reviews back in the day (2007) but I'm not sure how it holds up today. How is the picture and the black levels/contrast compared to something like the Last gen panasonic plasmas?

The black level ought to be roughly between that offered by the 2011 and 2012 Panasonic plasmas. There simply aren't many non-OLED sets that go as deep as the final year Panasonics. Realistically, you'd be looking at a 9G Kuro for that.

For the prices they sell for, a couple of hundred quid usually, the 8G Kuros can be decent value. Obviously they may have had a lot of use, but that is factored into the price and you'd struggle to get anything else of that quality for similar money. As a set to tide you over, or if you don't have much spare cash, it might be worth considering. It's probably best to not be too picky, though, if you're evaluating one of these. They were good in their day, but can't really compete at the highest level now.

SonOfSJ

Prominent Member
You still need to have a better internet link to the item.

reddevil74

Established Member
I sold mine back in 2012
Yes if you sit too close you might be bothered by the lower resolution but generally speaking I always thought it had a fantastic picture and didn't really have any annoying issues that you come across on some of these newer panels
In fact I wish I had kept mine to use in another room

SonOfSJ

Prominent Member
Reddevil74, you're far from being the only former owner of an 8th or 9th generation Pioneer who now wishes that they had not sold their set, at a time when we were being told that LCDs were the next big thing.

Ericone, you'll see that I have a Pioneer 428XD, which I think (but I'm not entirely sure) is the 42-inch version of the 50-inch set that you still haven't given a proper internet link to. Its only signficant fault is the lower resolution, which I notice only on some Blu-rays. Otherwise, still pretty damn good.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom