Buying a TV in Canada which works in UK

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by skyking_comms, Mar 3, 2013.

1. skyking_comms

skyking_comms
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will be in Canada for a couple of years and will need to buy a TV (Thinking 3d LED) whilst over there. My thinking is that I want to try and find one that will also work over the UK when I return. So I'm fully aware of the power difference and the NTSC / PAL difference but wondering if there's anything on the TV that I could look for that would make it easier to work in the UK? I'm happy to buy a power convertor from maplins when I'm back.

I'm on Virgin in the UK so not concerned about the different internal tuner in the TV..

Thought I would ask as I plan to get a good TV, but would rather bring it home than sell it.

2. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,414
    North American TV usually don't support 25/50Hz signals even though it is trivial, I have hit this in some systems testing before.
    If you can buy one that is proven to support 25/50Hz signals then you will be OK for it to work with HDMI sources.

3. skyking_comms

skyking_comms
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would the TV state it supports PAL through the HDMI connection? I had thought about contacting the manufacture before purchasing (was looking at LG sets)..

4. vidjo

vidjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Don't think I'd bother about it. Buy a cheapish TV over there and sell it before you come back. Cost of freight and probable damage would outweigh any benefit.

5. skyking_comms

skyking_comms
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And if you didn't have to pay freight / insurance..