buying a tele - why so much grief

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by seafoodmix, May 4, 2007.

Tags:
  1. seafoodmix

seafoodmix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With these W sets first the pitfall was clouding now its buzzing as well.

I thought once the batch of early days W’s were sold the problem would go away.

I watch 1 or 2 dvds a week and only play games on the PC but I have always liked the idea of the future proof sony W but was scared of hours wasted from work ringing people up to get a replacement and then days off waiting for a replacement because of the clouds.

Got to say it but maybe a plasma would suit me – but no you get snakes on them and you have to run them in for 100’s hours.

What happened to just buying a tele – 5-10 years ago say you could buy any 28” from £200-£300 and the picture would have been great. The more expensive sets gave you fastext or a flat screen but ultimately they all showed a good picture with no drawbacks.
    In truth you were paying a bit more to have a Sony badge over a Matsui.

2. Br0ken

Br0ken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,314
    Why not stick to CRT's then?

3. seafoodmix

seafoodmix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    two reasons - size and depth but why should they come with a compromise

4. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    What's fine to one person can bother another. If it bothers someone, they automatically think it must be faulty, and then you have people joining in to say their TV does it, even if it didn't bother them before.

The Playstation 3 is a good example of this - there are a lot of people that now seem to think their PS3 is faulty because it speeds up the fan to the second speed (out of 4/5, iirc) after a few minutes. This is perfectly normal, but because some people with better ventilated systems / cooler rooms have theirs stay on the lower levels for longer, they think it's a fault and return them.

I don't know what the specific issue with the BRAVIAs are, but a lot of people return their TVs for buzzing when they lower the backlight... which is perfectly normal for an LCD to do. The buzzing is very quiet - most CRTs I've owned have made more noise, and Plasmas are noticeably louder, but if one person doesn't like it and returns theirs, it's suddently a big fault that all the sets have.

There are plenty of problems a CRT could have, but back when most people were buying CRTs they weren't hanging around on forums like this, and either didn't know something was a fault and thought things looked fine, or they just put up with it because it wasn't a big deal.

Dead pixels are another issue that's really a non-issue. From the distance the majority of people sit, you can't see if a single pixel is faulty. Yet people often examine their screen and if they find even just one, they'll return the TV, even though they won't ever actually see it when using it as a TV.