1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying a Sony KV-32DX30 - please advise!!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by rob the builder, Mar 26, 2001.

1. rob the builder

rob the builder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been looking at the Sony KV-32DX30 recently. I can get it through the net for £1118 (cheapest). I am really keen on everything I have seen about this model. The 50hz feature is a plus not a minus in my book too(100hz does not appeal in the least - nasty shadowing effects).
    However, there have been one or two negative remarks made recently in forums re: Sony TV's and Sony after sales support (especially with regards to the integrated digital features)and was wondering if anyone could advise me or has had any experiences (good or bad) in this area?
    Please help as I have a gigantic wedge burning a hole in my pocket (oo-er!) and I don't want to make a pig's ear of buying the focal point of my new home cinema!!!

2. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Firstly where'd you see it that cheap?
    And secondly just had the aerial engineer in
    (steady Matron!) and he mentioned them as having a top picture so...
    Assuming your reseller is good if any thing goes arse up they should just replace or sort it pronto any way. I take it you've troubled to look at it your self?
    Encaser

3. rob the builder

rob the builder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The KV-32DX30 is available at £1118 from www.empiredirect.co.uk (after I found this price I also came across a nifty little site called www.electrobug.com, which sniffs for the best prices. It confirmed empiredirect as the best price. Please check it out. It's a good site and even if you don't find the product you want, it has some decent info and reviews. Let me know what you think)

Sweet advice from the aerial fiddler. Cheers. Yeah, I've seen the set in person (Dixons & Currys - so they are good for something after all then!) and it looks worth the £.

Rob

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try this link,you can pick up the dx30 for £1099 currently selling in curry,s for £1400,have viewed this t.v a few times with sky digital and dvd, i would say buy with confidence the picture is stunning!, the best i,ve seen at this price,the 28 inch version just got a great review in this months what t.v video mag, i bought a phillips 32 inch a few years ago at nearly double the price, picture wise the sony blows my phillips away, thinking of buying one myself.
    http://www.avshopdirect.co.uk/shop1/wide32.htm

5. rob the builder

rob the builder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mark,

I'd actually seen the AVshopdirect site before, and I was gobsmacked that they could better the £1118 offer, but when you look at the small print it says that they make a small charge for delivery. I called them up a while ago and if I remember correctly they actually quoted slightly more than empiredirect once you take the delivery charge into account. Doh! Thanks for the link though.
    I agree 100% about the picture quality. Totally stunning. I think I will definitely have to invest! Not only is the image excellent, it is feature packed AND it is the most stylish TV I've seen on the market (bar the SONY Grand Wega...Mmmmmmm....£6500....expensively reassuring....!)
    Now all I need to do is find the cheapest chipped Sony S735 DVD player that's auto and manual region selectable. Mmmmm....SONY....pleasant...

Rob

6. rob the builder

rob the builder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Mr A. I'll check those links out. I sense the overdraft taking a bit of punishment this month. Ah, what the hell! Thanks again guys. [​IMG]

7. clone

clone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    www.price-guide.co.uk is a good site for checking the lowest prices on TVs and DVD players.
    They list www.premieravcentre.co.uk as having the Sony 32dx30 at £1099 along with 4 others under £1150.I suppose it depends on delivery who will be cheapest [​IMG]

8. Mr A

Mr A

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try sevenoaks for the 735 dvd player chipped etc or Multiregionmagic or linkonline.

I got mine from Sevenoaks, 10.00 more than Link , but they are on the high street etc.

Great picture etc etc

9. ALEXANDER

ALEXANDER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Funny you should write. I, too, have been looking at the SONY MODEL YOU REFER TO.
    Now John Lewis do a good deal where you may pay a £ 100 150 quid more for the set but they offer a 5 year parts and labour along with your set.
    Another thing I have spoken to a lot of people about this and quite a few have asaid NOT to BUY a fully integrated digital set just now as in 5 or 6 years time your integrated on-digital box may become defunct! Now whether or not that is the question and I don't know the final answer. Another model along the same lines as the Sony is the JVC AV- 32 WL1EK ! This is JVC's new model and is very appealing to " wives" as it is pleasing to look at, so consider carefully my friend otherwise your life could land up in misery for years to come!!!
    Good luck and let me know what you decide
    Alex

10. rob the builder

rob the builder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Alex,

3 points about your post;
    1) The way I (foolishly) justify not buying into parts and labour service deals is; you're buying the kit from new so there shouldn't be any problems with it and, hopefully, should anything go wrong, you should be able to get it fixed for roughly the same price as the cost of the service deal. It should be very unlikely that you get more than one massive problem in 5 years of buying from new although I accept that it is not impossible. It's a risk I am prepared to take. Crazy I know!
    2) No matter WHAT you buy, in 5 or 6 years EVERYthing about a product will be defunct or obsolete anyway. You will NEVER be at the top of the technological tree for long no matter how much you have got to invest so why bother trying. All I'm looking to do is buy a decent system that I am happy with. If in 5 years, IDTV has crashed and burned then so be it, but at least I will still have a kick ass TV with some nice features.
    3) Don't have a wife so I've got no worries there! HA!

Rob

11. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rob,just to let you know i went into john lewis in Glasgow today and ordered the sony dx30, first i asked if the 32q75 was in stock i was told it had a 12 to 14 week waiting list, then i asked about the dx30, it was in stock.
    Then i asked the sales man if they would price match the internet the sales man,s face hit the floor when i said it was selling for £1099 in some web sites, he then went and asked his tele sales to make a few phone calls and returned about 20 minutes later saying it was selling for £1225 in one of the store tel -numbers i gave him, so then i asked if wee could access the web where i took him to this great forum then onto the related web site and then bingo!!i was finally getting somewhere,he said he would price match it but i would have to pay £45 delivery(when they give free delivery normally)so after a few laughs he gave me the delivery for £10, so after all that i picked it up for £1110 including a five year guarantee.
    Three cheer,s for john lewis and staff in Glasgow, they have a very, very,happy customer for LIFE!!.
    p.s anyone considering visiting john lewis store in Glasgow please give the manager time to recover from today,s experience.

12. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,091
    Rob, I totally understand your feelings about extended warrantees. A recent experience with a £600 JVC TV that needed a new tube after 2.5 years changed my mind.
    The new tube plus labour and call out would have been £400. JVC eventually agreed to supply the tube for nothing out of goodwill and the repair came in the right side of £100 but this took over 2 months.

I bought a KV32FX60 in the meantime from John Lewis and got their 5 year parts and labour guarantee for nothing.

When you unpack your Sony you should find a tube warrrantee leaflet that covers it for an extra 3 years for about £36. I'd seriously consider it. I would have gone with it but as I already have better 5 year cover there was no point.

Enjoy your new tele when you get it!

AMc

[ 05-04-2001: Message edited by: AMc ]

13. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    The Sony IDTVs are quite a good buy. You won't get a better DVB-T picture than from one.

I've got a KV32DX20, my parents a KV28DS60 and the mother in law a KV28DX30 so I know what they are all like.

I'm only CAM user BTW

14. rob the builder

rob the builder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Martin,

I'm confused :confused: :confused: :confused:

You replied to my other post in this section reporting a few problems with your SONY, but in your above comment you seem happy with it? Have I just misinterpreted something?
    (BTW I can't reply to your other post re: the technical queries of the KV32DX30 as I haven't got mine yet (!) and I'm not much of an expert (yet!) on the intricacies of the model. Soz.)

Cheers,

Rob

[ 05-04-2001: Message edited by: rob the builder ]

15. PeteM

PeteM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Rob,

The thing to point out is that the Sony IDTVs have a lot going from them, they also are still full of bugs!!

If you can live with the bugs (at least in the short term), then you will probably enjoy owning one.

I've owned a 28DX20 since last May, so had to go through the hassle of getting the hardware / firmware upgrade before the set would work satisfactorly, as you are getting the latest model, you avoid the initiation ceremony!

Things to point out (certainly valid for DX20, some may be fixed for DX30 or other models):

- The timer function frequently malfunctions, either starting recording at the wrong time, not at all or sometimes selecting a different channel!!

- Sometimes when channel hopping you will "loose sound", the cure to to switch to a different channel and then back.

- Sometimes the digital tuner crashes (mostly affects pay channels), the cure is to switch to analogue and back.

- Sometimes Digital Teletext locks up. Cure is to switch channels back and forth.

- Sometimes access to the CAM module is not possible. Appears to happen after looking at some text pages, or on a digital text page (e.g channel 20).

- Scart 3 (The one you are supposed to use for a VCR connection) (a) does not output an aspect ratio switch signal and (b) does not accept an S-Video input.

(a) I have a JVC 7500SVHS deck. This records the aspect ratio swithing signal from suitable equipment, and causes the TV to switch on playback. I have tested this as working via my DVD player.

(b) Obviously having an SVHS deck, I would like to feed an S-Video feed to the TV but can only do this via Scart 2, however Scart 3 is the only scart that is active for timer programs. I have to get an S-Video feed by routing through my AV amp.

- You cannot output an S-Video signal for use with an SVHS recorder. This is incommon with all Set top boxes, but annoying nonetheless. I expect Sony did this as they don't make SVHS decks.

- Scart 1 (The RGB scart) outputs RGB from the digital tuner, this is great if you have one of those RGB - SVideo converters, unfortunatly its switched off for timer recordings, not that the timer works properly!!

- Channel hopping is slow, you need a TV guide at hand, or a lot of patience!!

16. rob the builder

rob the builder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mark,

Nice one! I am dead pleased you managed to get your telly at a good price! Cheers for letting me know. :D
    Feeling a bit left out now, 'cos I've got to wait for a bit before I get my goggle box! :(
    Still, good things come to those who wait...and those who have to save up for bloody yonks!

Cheers!

Rob

17. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I am generally happy with it, SVM effects all modern TVs. I know the TV does require another hardware update.

Well the DX30, CAM support from the large box it comes in. Over the air software updating, DTTX as standard.

I didn't know the TV put RGB from the tuner out on Scart 1 - that sounds like a bug, perhaps thats why I got ghosting until I snipped 19 and tuned the TV directly to RGB (which appears to switch off tuner).

Taping - Ondigital box does that, It's plugged into Scart 3 as who needs RGB off an Ondigital box.

Basically I am learning about DVB-T all the time.

Get the DX30, FTA chanels look good in Widescreen, and better than any silly little box.

I VERY occasionally get the teletext not work - turn to BBC within 2 minutes fine, after that seems to play up, go to the loo and try again and it works - I reckon its BBCs fault<g>

As everything I have is RGB or Composite except for a video camera so SVideo in via front socket. I don't know about Svideo support in the scart.

My DVD player can output Svideo but is reckoned to have a poor Svideo, anyway SVM would yuk the picture. :)

18. rob the builder

rob the builder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pete M / Martin,

Many thanks for both of your replies. I think that between you, you must have covered every conceivable answer to any query I could ever come up with RE: this SONY!! :D
    I am counting the days 'til I get paid now! Hopefully, it will arrive pretty quick and with as few bugs to iron out as possible.

(quickie; I purchased T2:Ultimate DVD Edition a few weeks ago and instead of watching it on the 4:3 TV in the living room, I have been saving it to watch on the new set. Sad I know! :rolleyes: )

Thanks once again for your excellent replies guys, I found them really informative. I'm so pleased in fact that I'm off now to give you 5 star ratings each (useful as they are!)!

Best regards,

Rob