Buying a Sony KDLV40A12U ex-demo... Opinions!

Discussion in 'Sony TVs Forum' started by muttondraw, Mar 27, 2006.

?
  1. Yes. If the price was good

6 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. No. Its a compromise too far

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. muttondraw

muttondraw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I was in Currys yesterday, not one of my favourite places, but I have to say they were very good at letting my play with a Sony KDLV40A12U. I was playing Freeview through it and I found I could get quite a good picture after a bit of adjustment, removing all processing and pulling contrast and colour down, just a touch of sharpening. This set is about to be superceeded so I asked whether they would sell me their demo set. After a bit of bargaining we agreed a price in principle but I wanted to check the set out first for dead/stuck pixels. I am interested in what others think of buying exdemo sets. There is the obvious disadvantage that you are effectively buying secondhand, but assuming the set is in good (or perfect) nick. My thinking is that there are some real advantages: the set has been very well soak tested so it is unlikely to pack up as soon as you get it home; you can give it a thorought going over to test everything is working before you take it away; you are going to get it that much cheaper.

I haven't commited to this purchase yet though so I am interested in any reasoned opinions. Am I missing something? I am presuming my rights are not compromised by buying ex-demo.

Interestingly I compared this set to a Samsung LE40M51, which was next to it. A slightly unfair comparison I know, but the 2 sets were really chalk and cheese even after I spent half and hour adjusting both sets to try and pull the best picture from them. The Sony had a much more believable picture, The Samsung picture had a plasticky look to it.

M

2. Argee1977

Argee1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Just make sure theres no dead pixels on it and more importantly no scratches or marks on the screen itself, it should also still be under the warranty, so find out how long it has left, apart from that if its a good price then it'll be worth it, i know people say most LCDs don't need a run in period but i found that my W series got better after the first month.

3. steventucker

steventucker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dont bother - i had two of these sets (which are now ex-demo). both had dead pixels and i thought the pq was rubbish.

now got a panasonic pv500 plasma and it's in a different league... and much cheaper. take the benefit of my experience and get a panasonic plasma instead.

4. ash005

ash005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    i have one of these and the picture is very good

especially with hdmi

not sure aabout buying a demo though - would have to be a very good deal

ash.

5. muttondraw

muttondraw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I might be missing something here. Did you buy 2 ex-demo sets? if so did the dead pixels appear some time later, or were you not able to check for dead pixels at purchase? Did the retailer then take the sets back? If they weren't ex-demo then I can understand, that is why I am not keen to get from a faceless Internet company, but if you are buying ed-demo then one of the major pluses is that you can at least check the set out thorough before you hand over your cash. Any ex-demo set would have been running for quite a while so early failure potential should be reduced.

Yes I like plasma quality but it isn't the same thing. I have decided I would probably be best off with an LCD panel because I will be using this with a computer quite a lot. If my benchmark was purely image quality I would go with CRT.

6. muttondraw

muttondraw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yes part of my thinks like this, but is it rational thought,or just gut feeling... If the set appears to be fine!!! and is obviously in good condition... It is unlikely to have any major faults if it is the demo set. Part of the reason for posting here was to think through all the issues.

It would be interesting to hear a retailers honest opinion on this.

M

7. Kennymac

Kennymac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi,
    Just to mention that your 1 year gtee with the retailer starts when you pay for it. Try your luck for a free 5 year warranty aswell?:devil:

8. jay_edinburgh

jay_edinburgh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would give the screen a really good going over, last time I was in Comet the salesman was telling me about the TV and as he was doing so he was taping the screens quite hard with his pen. The salesmen in these places have no respect for there products :thumbsdow