• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Buying a second hand 360 WITHOUT hard drive?

PAUL7331

Im looking at buying a cheap 'modded' 360 simply to play games on it, nothing else. I dont intend to go online or anything else, just gaming.

My question is though, if I bought one without a HDD, would I still be able to save games? Is there still some sort of internal memory whcih allows me to save game files without need for a HDD?

Fe_man2000

depends on its age - the newest versions of the xbox aracade have some internal memory for saved games - to be honest you want a HDD to install the games on it, its faster and quieter that way.

Chances are that your 2nd hand version wont have any ability to save games unless you can find a (very rare now) memory card or a HDD. But With the lastest online updates (from April 2010) you can use a USB stick as a memory card up to 16GB in size - if you are buying a banned xbox then this might not be an issue.

PAUL7331

depends on its age - the newest versions of the xbox aracade have some internal memory for saved games - to be honest you want a HDD to install the games on it, its faster and quieter that way.

Chances are that your 2nd hand version wont have any ability to save games unless you can find a (very rare now) memory card or a HDD. But With the lastest online updates (from April 2010) you can use a USB stick as a memory card up to 16GB in size - if you are buying a banned xbox then this might not be an issue.

Its an ELITE with hitachi drive. No HDD included, but I figured if im running the game from disc, it wouldnt matter. So do you think I would be able to attach a usb stick in order for me to save games?

Indiana Jones

Distinguished Member
Its an ELITE with hitachi drive. No HDD included, but I figured if im running the game from disc, it wouldnt matter. So do you think I would be able to attach a usb stick in order for me to save games?

You will need to have the newest dashboard updates installed to allow use of USB drives for games saves.

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member

Word of warning, you say it is a 2nd xbox.

IF you plan on using your "offline" console to get achievements for games, and then using a roaming profile on a memory card to upload those achievements to your online profile on your legit console, if the 2nd xbox was banned in the last ban wave, you are out of luck, as as soon as you go online your saves will be corrupted and any achievements lost.

on top of that, you may have trouble getting said corrupted achievements at a later date even using your unbanned console. There is a way around this, but cant remember what it is.

if of course you have no intention of using your same proper online profile on your offline xbox, then you will never have a problem.

PAUL7331

Word of warning, you say it is a 2nd xbox.

IF you plan on using your "offline" console to get achievements for games, and then using a roaming profile on a memory card to upload those achievements to your online profile on your legit console, if the 2nd xbox was banned in the last ban wave, you are out of luck, as as soon as you go online your saves will be corrupted and any achievements lost.

on top of that, you may have trouble getting said corrupted achievements at a later date even using your unbanned console. There is a way around this, but cant remember what it is.

if of course you have no intention of using your same proper online profile on your offline xbox, then you will never have a problem.

I WONT be using it online mate, just offline only. So basically I need to ask the seller if it has the 'latest' dashboard updates for it to allow me to save games via USB stick?? And then I'm good to go right?

Btw are hitachi drives easy enough to 'flash' if needed in the future??

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
no, i know, but what i mean is, even if you do not go online on it, if you play any games on it, and save them using a banned xbox, then go online using your other xbox using the same profile it will corrupt the save IF the xbox was banned. You do not have to attempt to go online with a banned xbox to corrupt a save, its just the nature of banned consoles that they now screw up legit saves.

unless you never go online on EITHER console, then you are ok :)

PAUL7331

no, i know, but what i mean is, even if you do not go online on it, if you play any games on it, and save them using a banned xbox, then go online using your other xbox using the same profile it will corrupt the save IF the xbox was banned. You do not have to attempt to go online with a banned xbox to corrupt a save, its just the nature of banned consoles that they now screw up legit saves.

unless you never go online on EITHER console, then you are ok :)

Mate, I don't own any other xbox so this would be my only one!

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
Mate, I don't own any other xbox so this would be my only one!

DOH!!!!!

sorry i need to learn to read, 2nd HAND xbox, i thought it said 2nd xbox

sorry

astar0th

Distinguished Member
I WONT be using it online mate, just offline only. So basically I need to ask the seller if it has the 'latest' dashboard updates for it to allow me to save games via USB stick?? And then I'm good to go right?

Btw are hitachi drives easy enough to 'flash' if needed in the future??

:nono:

No talky-talky of flashy-flashy on here my friend! :smashin:

Latest dash to play from USB. If you install games to USB they should run roughly the same speed as if installing to genuine MS HDD, BUT, install times differ massively between each USB product. Do a google search for "usb install times 360" or summat similar to find the best flash drive available.

A word of warning though. If the seller has used this *cough* non-legit *cough* machine online, there may be a chance it has been flagged for meltdown already, if you know what i mean?

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom