Question Buying a Samsung HW-Q950T, is it suitable for my living area ?

chypmun

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am new here, and knows little about Audio.
Currently i have a 2017 LG E7 and also an LG soundbar which i got free with the TV. Connected to it is my PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Media Player and watches Netflix using the TV app.
with the imminent arrival of the PS5 and Xbox Series X , that comes with UHD BR drives, i am looking to upgrade both the sound bar and the TV. for TV i will probably wait till 2021 comes when HDMI 2.1 is more of a standard.
As for the sound bar, i am looking at the Samsung HW-Q950T as the price on offer now is USD 1000.
I do have a few questions regarding this soundbar
1) does it have hdmi 2.1 passthrough ( it is not stated anywhere , i have tried to google it? so it will work with the PS5/XSX later on ?
2) does the rear speaker comes with stands ?
3) attached is a pic of my living area, is it a good idea to mount the rear speakers on the ceiling behind ?
4) will it sound nice with the space i have ?

Thank you !

Attachments

• 20200824_211439.jpg
    20200824_211439.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 187
Hi,
lets see:
1) Yes it has 2.1 HDMI ports
2) No stands included
3) Not sure if I understand what you are trying to say, but the rears have upwards firing speakers so they are supposed to be in normal listening height and the Dolby Atmos effect is achieved by the sound bouncing of the ceiling. So no these should not be ceiling mounted.
4) If you place them correctly they should work fine. See suggested placement
image.php

Thank you so much Atavius,

those are the answers i am looking for. Yes you got the question number 3 right. I was thinking to mount it on the wall behind the couch, but i guess now i will have to shop for stands for the rear speakers as well.

Sorry but just another question, would it be fine without the 2 rear speakers ? what would i be missing out on?

Hi,
lets see:
1) Yes it has 2.1 HDMI ports
2) No stands included
3) Not sure if I understand what you are trying to say, but the rears have upwards firing speakers so they are supposed to be in normal listening height and the Dolby Atmos effect is achieved by the sound bouncing of the ceiling. So no these should not be ceiling mounted.
4) If you place them correctly they should work fine. See suggested placement
image.php

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom