Buying a Samsung Galaxy S2

chaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi I am thinking of getting a Sim Free Samsung Galaxy S2. I wish to ask a couple of Questions i wish to ask. The O.S which is Android is it fairly easy to get on with ( I am a old Fart so don't want to be to difficult to use) also looking on this site and saw this Go launcher Ex if you download it it makes Samsung even better is that correct ?if this so and ticks all the boxes I will order one. At the mo got a I phone which i have been using for a few years so going over to a new system is going to take geeing a bit used to .also would be grateful for any other pointers you can give to help me with the above phone .Plus any aps that you can recomnend Thanks

Last edited:
I think you will find that Android is as easy or as difficult as you want it to be.

The S2 works brilliantly out of the box without any need to customize it.

Things like Launcher Pro are just a way of making the phone different and not really necessary.

My advice would be to play around with it - the learning curve isn't that steep even for us old folk.

+1 on that. Try it out of the box first, the built in launcher is pretty decent. I had the first one and granted it wasn't so great, and since then it seems almost essential according to some to do all kinds of tweaking, but with this phone it's not strictly necessary, just spend a week or so getting to grips with it.

Thanks Guys Still deciding

Where ya getting it from Fraz

Im looking to get one myself but some of the prices quoted are extreme

Looks like play.com thats Sim Free though have not found anywhere else cheaper I agree its still exspensive

I bought mine from the Carphone Warehouse. I phoned up to see if they had it locally (which they didn't), and ended up just buying it there and then over the phone. They sent it out and I got it the next day. Sim free was just under £500. I know it's expensive but it's an astounding phone (a big step up from the HTC Hero I had).

Just brilliant right out of the box, if you've never used Android before the advice to just play with it for a few days is spot on. This would be a definate iPhone killer if it wasn't such a fashion accessory...

Hi Chaz,

I'm a total Android noob myself, I've been using Symbian for the last 11 years. I got my SGS2 last saturday and it's a fantastic phone. Android is not that hard to get to grips with, it's the usual case of knowing where menu items are located. As the other guys have mentioned just have a 'play' with the phone when you first get it.

S.

folks would will i see a price reduced on the S2 like in a week or 2 when the htc sensation comes out?

I got mine from O2 for £399, but they forgot to tell me they were out of stock even though the order went through OK and they took the money:mad: Will not get mine until the 16th, but I suppose worth the wait because if the price:rolleyes:

I got mine from O2 for £399, but they forgot to tell me they were out of stock even though the order went through OK and they took the money:mad: Will not get mine until the 16th, but I suppose worth the wait because if the price:rolleyes:

I ordered from O2 online but forgot to take down the order reference number, i phoned the next day just to make sure the order had went through. They said they had no record of any order in my name or address so i ordered over the phone. Turns out I have been billed twice but have no phone even though i was told at the time there was stock. As it stands currently they won't have it back in stock till the 16th but i'm £800 down with no phone(s) and having to go through the long drawn out process of a refund. Still if all get resolved and I end up with an S2 for £399, that's not too bad.

I can't understand how they have no record of an order they have taken money for, how does that work?

I ordered from O2 online but forgot to take down the order reference number, i phoned the next day just to make sure the order had went through. They said they had no record of any order in my name or address so i ordered over the phone. Turns out I have been billed twice but have no phone even though i was told at the time there was stock. As it stands currently they won't have it back in stock till the 16th but i'm £800 down with no phone(s) and having to go through the long drawn out process of a refund. Still if all get resolved and I end up with an S2 for £399, that's not too bad.

I can't understand how they have no record of an order they have taken money for, how does that work?

Sorry to hear, I fired off a snotter email to them but as yet nothing heard!

Sorry to hear, I fired off a snotter email to them but as yet nothing heard!

I don't understand why Pay monthly take precedence with stock. It should be first come first served especially if they are gonna take the money off you then and there.

They don't even send any kind of order confirmation to your e-mail or at least e-mail you to tell you it's out of stock, the customer service is pretty poor and that's being kind

I don't understand why Pay monthly take precedence with stock. It should be first come first served especially if they are gonna take the money off you then and there.

They don't even send any kind of order confirmation to your e-mail or at least e-mail you to tell you it's out of stock, the customer service is pretty poor and that's being kind

Because they make a hell of a lot more cash from contracts than they do sim free sales!

How does a SIM free phone work? After buying a SIM free unlocked phone, do you present yourself a various outlets (service providers) and ask them what is the best SIM they can supply. Is it cheaper this way?

How does a SIM free phone work? After buying a SIM free unlocked phone, do you present yourself a various outlets (service providers) and ask them what is the best SIM they can supply. Is it cheaper this way?

You just get the phone sim free, so it's unlocked to any network. Then you can put whatever sim you want in it, For example a giff gaff sim and pay £10 a month as opposed to £30 a month or stick in a P&G sim.

what is the cheapest sim free price? A quick search got me around £510 on play.

You just get the phone sim free, so it's unlocked to any network. Then you can put whatever sim you want in it, For example a giff gaff sim and pay £10 a month as opposed to £30 a month or stick in a P&G sim.

Sorry with my continuing ignorance but who then issues a phone number for the phone? Is it part of the SIM whichever one you eventually buy and would it not change if you kept on getting different SIMs from different suppliers? Would a £10 Giff Gaff SIM have a phone number contained therein?
I really would like to get to the bottom of this.
:confused: :lesson:

When you get a new sim card (say, a payg from Orange), it will come with a new number. But, if you already have a number, you can usually transfer it to your new sim.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using AVForums

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom