Buying a Region A Sony BDP-S350

The1970

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I am usually quite resourceful, but I am having difficulty finding somewhere to buy a USA Region A BDP-S350 from.

I see Movietyme and DVDWORLDUSA are both selling it, but are being a bit wooly on the subject of warranty and supplying a stepdown for it.

Basically I understand that if a firmware update screws it then it can't be done under warranty, but basically I need some UK base to return it to if something mechanical packs up with it in its first year. (My USA PS3 has packed up reading discs, so I don't want lightening to strike again)

Thanks in advance.

I'm thinking about getting one of these myself - really had enough of waiting for non appearing Region B releases. I've updated firmware on 1 Toshiba HD-DVD player, 1 Samsung Blu-Ray, and a PS3 so far and never had any issues so that shouldn't be a problem for you (us!!). AS for the step down, I think a lot of people here get them from Maplin.

Don't forget that strictly speaking I don't think they're supposed to be selling a Region A player here, so they're probably just trying to cover themselves somehow re warranties.

If anyone else on the forum can say if Firmware updates, mechanocal failures or step downs have been an issue we'd both appreciate it I'm sure. Or another supplier who may actually repair......

Oh, and Movietyme are offering the same player with 15 Blu-Rays to a value of £18.99 each for £399.99. The Blu-Rays alone are just short of £285 so you'd be getting the player for about £115 :D

edit: PS - if anyone can advise on issues regarding import duty it would help too. Thanks

Last edited:
Hi guys. I got mine through movietyme (+15 discs). Got step down from amazon (£14) done firmware and all is good. No customs duty :smashin: and movietyme tell me that should any problems arise to contact them :thumbsup: This is my 2nd US player (other was ps3) and had no problems in 13 months. Buy with confidence.

Tony

Hi chelsea.tone,

You must have posted as I was editing my post. You can confirm there's definitely no import duty paid on the movietyme imports? Or do you think that was just luck on your part? I like the thought of the 15 BD titles offer, but don't want to get hit with a huge customs bill on top of everything else....

Last edited:
Hi m8, no it wasnt luck :rolleyes: you WONT get hit by customs. I ordered on a Wed around 5.05 pm and it was delivered on the Fri around 11 am :smashin:

Discs arrive as and when in stock, depending on whether they are pre-orders.

Any other questions pls ask

Tony

Thanks for that...now I wonder if I can find 15 titles I haven't already got to stick in the comments box. I'll have to look for what's on pre-order too and cancel those.

Can you help with one other thing? My amp at the minute doesn't handle HD Audio (it's in the sig), and can't afford both the player and the Amp at the same time. Will I have any issues re some movie titles playback due to the lack of DTS-MA decoding in the player? Or will it stream the core DTS track by default?

The amp I'm considering is the Sony STRDA2400ESB, but at another £400 I may have to wait a while.

Aaarrrgghhh....the one with the 15 discs has just disappeared off Movietyme's catalogue - well, the search box anyway. It's still there in the drop down box on the main listing for the BDP-S350.

Last edited:
I believe it will stream the core DTS track, im sure someone will correct me if im wrong. Could ask in the S350 main thread to be sure. The player is very good. I too had trouble picking the films lol, but a VERY good deal.

Tony

Still seriously considering this. Up to 6 titles so far :rolleyes:

How odd that there's no consistency in info given to different people.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any specific custom details,could you keep it to PM please.

Got step down from amazon (£14)
could you post a link as not sure which one to get

Tony got THIS ONE if I recall correctly

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Er...does anyone know if the OP had his problems solved?

Sorry for hijacking your thread english bob..... :oops:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom