Buying a Range Rover or another - help me choose

williemaykit

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Have been searching for a 3 year old full fat Range Rover for a little while now but the market seems a little dry of good quality vehicles. To date, I have only really test driven 3 cars. Have gone out to see a few and unfortunately I have had to walk away, particularly from low mileage examples which had leather that had worn through to the foam. To date, I have mostly focused my search on either TD6's, Supercharged or the 4.4 petrol Vogue SE model because I only do 6000 miles or less per year.

I am beginning to think maybe I should consider other options. My two alternatives are to buy a brand new Freelander 2 HSE or consider a facelifted Porsche Cayenne 3.6. I guess the other option is to wait for January when it is anticipated that more Range Rover TDV8's should come on the market.

As I still have my current car, I can wait but with the money in the bank, getting a little impaitent :rotfl:

What are your thoughts? Which one should I go for? Let me know.

- Keep looking for a Td6, Supercharged or petrol Vogue SE
- Buy a Freelander 2
- Buy the Porsche
- Wait until January for a TDV8

Last edited:
The Audi Q7 is a nice car, as is the Touareg and Pathfinder although the Pathfinder is nastier inside...can you stretch to a GL class Merc? They are really nice too.

Last edited:
I despise the Q7 with every fibre of my being.
My most hated car on the road, without dispute.
I just abhor the way it's clearly been designed with America in mind, to the extent they don't even fit in a normal UK parking space.
Audi have also pulled a neat trick with it.
Massive on the outside, not particularly big on the inside.:rolleyes:

Stick with your other choices, the Q7 is conspicuous consumption at its worst.:mad:

I can well recomend the Touerag, got mine 7 months ago for £15,000 with 25,000 from VW dealer.

Excellent build quality and over the 8,000 miles we have done I am averaging 30 MPG on my 2.5 TDI. If fuel isnt a problem go for the v10 or 3.0 petrol :smashin:

Have never seen another the same colour as mine on the road which I also like

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 209
  • Picture 031.jpg
    Picture 031.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:
As fuel consumption is not your concern I would go for RR supercharged or a Cayenne V8 (not the V6 as what's the point of a Porsche when everyone else is faster...)

Besides the Q7 the other suggestions just don't cut it for a luxury feel imho...The freelander is also in a different class, new perhaps, but just so much cheaper feeling and driving....Or get a new Infinity FX to have something different, or a Mercedes R-Class there are amazing deals on the R500....

As fuel consumption is not your concern I would go for RR supercharged or a Cayenne V8 (not the V6 as what's the point of a Porsche when everyone else is faster...)

Besides the Q7 the other suggestions just don't cut it for a luxury feel imho...The freelander is also in a different class, new perhaps, but just so much cheaper feeling and driving....Or get a new Infinity FX to have something different, or a Mercedes R-Class there are amazing deals on the R500....

I would say the R-Class is a good one to be different. I have only ever seen 1 or 2 on the roads. Definately a unique car!

I would say the R-Class is a good one to be different. I have only ever seen 1 or 2 on the roads. Definitely a unique car!

Definitely massive too? I think it looks stupid. Doesn't know what it wants to be in life :rotfl:
I would get the Range Rover or the Porsche, IMO the Freelander is very good too but it's smaller, if you ever want to go off road in it then the RR and Freelander cannot be beaten. On road I suspect the Porsche is better.

I've had the new Freelander for the last 3 weeks and think it's a wonderful drive and very well built, (after all the hassle with the original model).

It only has 2 choices of engine, but a very large kit list. Looks similar to a baby RR sport, but much smaller. Excellent ride hight and views, both for driver and passengers. Auto gearbox is very smooth (I have the diesel) but no stop/start with the auto. Cabin quality is very good, but not on a par with luxury models, looks as if it would last though.

However, if you have your heart set on the RR, would you always be thinking 'what if'? If not, the Freelander is a damn fine alternative.

I must admit that I am absolutely gobsmacked by people considering the Freelander as an alternative to the RR...Now don't get me wrong, the Freelander is a really really good car for its segment, but an alternative to the RR come on....It may have the LR family style grill but that's where it end, the materials used on the RR are just from a totally different class, not one but at least two/three above the freelander....The quality of the leather, the seats, the plastic, the switches, the carpets, the road presence, road noise...And then there is the image....

This is no Freelander bashing, not at all, but anyone thinking it is a valid alternative clearly never been in a Range Rover....Bar the image the Disco 4 is getting closer to the RR with a different target audience but even that is still miles away....

Anyway that is just my opinion...

Dejongj.

I have infact driven all 3.

The RR is luxurious, quiet and an exceptional pleasure to drive. Exactly what you would expect for the money.

The Disco has never impressed me. Not keen on the looks, although a great car.

The new Freelander shape is very pleasing to the eye. After a lengthy test drive I decided to buy a new one of these, (built to my spec), instead of a second hand RR.

So far I have not been disappointed, as this years models come with an extensive array of kit and trim levels, which weren't available around a year ago. Not as much presence as the RR, but then I still have a bank balance to speak of after purchase!;)

Definitely can't argue with the last point. I also like buying new over secondhand. And it is a very nice car indeed.

Did you drive the disco 4 instead of the 3? It is quite an improvent I thought.

I would definitely wait for the TDV8 or go for a V8 petrol if you are in no rush, it is so far ahead of the TD6 in terms of performance / drivability, the TD6 is also as im sure you know a noisy old unit, which i think takes some of the luxury away from having such a top end car.

RR sport is the only one I'd entertain.
Having driven a normal RR, I'd fear for my life at every corner.

Have been searching for a 3 year old full fat Range Rover for a little while now but the market seems a little dry of good quality vehicles. To date, I have only really test driven 3 cars. Have gone out to see a few and unfortunately I have had to walk away, particularly from low mileage examples which had leather that had worn through to the foam. To date, I have mostly focused my search on either TD6's, Supercharged or the 4.4 petrol Vogue SE model because I only do 6000 miles or less per year.

It really depends on how much you want to spend as silly as it sounds if you look hard enough you can buy a brand new EU (Dutch) import for just over what you'd pay for a 2 year old UK supplied car.

We've sold some RRS recently for 30+ % off RRP

Seen the new Q7 today, V12.

Wait for it £95K yes ninety five thousand!

Ludicrous

For me the toss up is between RR S and Cayenne S both are expensive to run and repair, I'd guess the RR is the least reliable of the too though.

Liam

Definitely can't argue with the last point. I also like buying new over secondhand. And it is a very nice car indeed.

Did you drive the disco 4 instead of the 3? It is quite an improvent I thought.

No, I didn't have a go in the Disco 4, still not keen on the looks. My mate has the Disco 3, drives lovely and full of kit, but I still don't like it! If the Disco 4 is an improvement on this, then it's another cracking motor.

The OP has a hell of a choice to make:)

Cheers,
Neil.:thumbsup:

This is no Freelander bashing, not at all, but anyone thinking it is a valid alternative clearly never been in a Range Rover....

It's more me getting impatient with the market at the moment whereas a Freelander is there, available now.

Thanks everyone for the responses. Going to look at a full fat RR TDV8 tomorrow but if that don't turn, will happily wait until January

It's more me getting impatient with the market at the moment whereas a Freelander is there, available now.

Thanks everyone for the responses. Going to look at a full fat RR TDV8 tomorrow but if that don't turn, will happily wait until January

I totally know what you mean...We are looking for a new car and I'm getting fed up with the market as well. Hardly any cars available, nearly all is factory order, discounts well the dealers are shying away from it big time which is no surprise as they are factory orders..What ever they have coming in they are selling immediately...

Challenge is that I want to buy something before the 2.5% hike with thanks to VAT in January....

I had a look at a Sport last month which had the big gas guzzling supercharged engine but also had an LPG conversion too and that could be another option for you

Just an update. I bought a full fat Range Rover TDV8 in the end. Really happy with it :thumbsup:. I will add pics to the garage thread.

Thanks for all the input :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom