1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying a PW8 - have I made the right choice?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by simon33, Sep 20, 2005.

1. simon33

simon33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

The glowing reports of the PW7 and Panasonic's strong reputation have convinced me to go for the slightly newer Panny PW8 (silver). It looks great, does everything I want, and should hopefully give me the best picture for my money!

I've read many previous posts about the various boards to go into the plasma. I think I've got it, but when spending £1500+ I really want to make sure I get it right.

I'm going to be hooking up the following to the plasma:

Sony Freeview Box
    VCR (Temporary, but I need it for the time being!)
    DVD Player
    PS2
    Xbox

I'm planning to just buy the scart board to go into the plasma. Then I'd buy something like a 'Vivanco scart switch box' and plug all of my 5 devices into it. I'd then connect the output of the switch box to the plasma - meaning there will be just 1 input going into the plasma. This would cut down on wiring and allow me to connect everything up really easily (and cheaply!).

However, is this the sensible thing to do? Part of me is saying this is all too easy!

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me - it's much appreciated!

Simon.

2. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    I'd say you're onto a dead cert there!!

I know exactly what you're saying on the scariness - months of research, hours planning connections, wiring, measurements, position, but then just a five minute phone call and it's done and you're £1,450 lighter!!!

3. UKseless1

UKseless1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Simon - I think you've made a great choice but as you can see, I'm biased.

You've not mentioned how you're going to get your sound. I personally run everything via a component switching AV amp. And I go into the screen's VGA input via Component to VGA cable.

There are quite a few ways of connecting up these screens and what's good for me might not be good for you. If you have a component switching amp though, I'm told that this gives some of the best results.

Let us know how you plan to get sound and the folks here might be able to help some more.

4. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    There are myriad ways it can be done but this is certainly easiest and cheapest to start with. What sound do you have?

5. simon33

simon33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your quick replies.

In my excitement over ordering the plasma it seems I totally forgot to think about the sound - whoops!

Could anyone tell me what audio outputs, (if any), the PW8 has?

6. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    None mate its just a screen.....you should feed the sound from your sources into a AV amp..

Matt

7. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    you can get scart boxes that will pass sound through too....but clearly you would need to buy the speakers for teh pw8. You are much better doing it properly an dgoing for an amp and surround speakers though

8. ddlooping

ddlooping

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I might be wrong, but I think it's got a stereo output (RCA L/R)

9. Peabo

Peabo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, you can plug stereo speakers into it.
    I'd also say to go for component on everything that you can and plug them into the VGA slot. Don't forget that the scart board it the PW's weak point.

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The scart board is 100% acceptable for 98% of the population. Just done a PWD8 for the mother in law with the last VSX402 amp in creation, straight to scart as they have a VCR and sky box. It looks fine, maybe it's better than a PW7, which did used to look a bit soft on scart. No trace of that now, it was seriously good.

11. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Audio inputs depend on cards installed. A very simple install is one scart card (to a switcher if more than one or two sources) and the optional speakers. Sky remote operates the plasma like any other telly, and the scart board picks up audio too! Job done.

12. tjradiohead

tjradiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    How is the pw8 better than the pw7? can anyone point me in the right direction?

13. Peabo

Peabo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mainly because it can display High-Def sources (although scaled down). It also has a number of minor technical improvements and has a smaller frame & better remote.

14. simon33

simon33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks so much for all your replies, they've been really helpful.

If this is correct then this is ideal. A quick google and I think I now know what RCA L/R is.

Is it simply the red and white plugs found on most speakers? If so I can just use a good pair of computer speakers I have - am I correct in thinking this?!

15. peterakastorm

peterakastorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Isn't that the input? The RCA L/R? I have the screen at home, but can't seem to remember if it's in- or output... I believe it's an INPUT...

EDIT: I was saying things that contradicted the other things I said ;) I mean, of course, that I think it's an input...

16. simon33

simon33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone clear this up?!

17. UKseless1

UKseless1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Yes Simon you could run a pair of speakers from the screen, you must ensure that you run the right connectivity to the screen from your Freeview box i.e. ensure that you carry both video and sound to the screen.

I imagine that if you PM Liam or MAW with exact details they will be able to set you straight regarding how you connect up with what you have.

18. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    the inputs are rca the outputs for the speakers are the spring clip type that you stick the wire in...this assuming thye have kept the same from the 7 series

19. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Simon,

The 7 series is the same as the 8 series. You get 2 spring clip terminals as MEP has said and can attach speakers to these. Far better to go for a proper 5.1 or 7.1 sound system which need not cost the earth or if the thought of all those speakers is not acceptable then the Yamaha YSP1 is worth thinking about.