Buying a puppy from online classifieds - help!

Zeromajor

Hey all,

My partner has been looking into buying a puppy from an ad she saw online, she's only contacted the seller through email and after looking through some of them there are a few concerns.

Basically i'm calling for the help of the knowledgable here to make sure we don't get scammed, see what you think:

1. Here is the original advertisment (note the seller is based in aberdeenshire which is ideal as it's local to us)

2. After a few emails we find out that only one of the female pups are left, fully KC registered and wormed/vaccinated for the very cheap price of £250.

3. Another email now informs us that the seller is not actually based in aberdeenshire but belfast, NI. The seller also mentions that delivery to us is not a problem and can be included in the price. This is the point where alarm bells start to go off as you can probably understand!

4. The seller now emails us with a supposed delivery 'reservation' under my partners name for delivery of the pup for tommorow afternoon. Personally i've never heard of dogs being transported like this without owners/breeders being present but from the emails it seems like the seller is willing to do so (she mentioned that she would prefer if we could come to see the pup before purchase but in these circumstances it's not an option). We recieved a delivery reservation/account number but no details of who this company actually is. We still haven't recieved a home address or contact number for the seller.

5. Doing a few google searches under the sellers name and email address comes up with varying results, but i'll let them speak for themselves:

westmilner - Google Search

"westey milner" - Google Search

I seem to be getting multiple adverts based in america, england, italy and elsewhere all with the same text from the original advert, or similar text to what has been sent to us via email.

Could this be the fault of a search engine or is this person potentially a scammer who has posted multiple adverts?

At the end of the day we will simply never transfer or hand over any money or bank details without seeing a pup, i've just got a strange feeling that tommorow when it's supposed to arrive we're going to get an email/phonecall informing us of a delivery problem that we have to solve by paying an unforseen fee, we all know how it goes....

The missus would be absolutely heartbroken though so i'm right to be careful!

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated! :thumbsup:

daveaka

It sounds very fishy to me. Personally I would never buy a puppy, pedigree or not without meeting with the owner and viewing one or both of the pup's parents...It could be a scam or it may be from a puppy farm either way you need to be sure before handing over any money...Have a quick look at THIS site....Good Luck

alexs2

Distinguished Member
Personally,I would never buy an animal that I hadn't been able to see,and this ad and the story with it look very dodgy indeed.

Actually viewing the dog and breeding premises tells you a lot about the breeder and the way they look after and raise their dogs,as well as giving you the opportunity to see the puppy itself.

You should also check the registration with the Kennel Club to see if it's genuine,and follow up some of the breeder's history if at all possible.

Most if not all genuine breeders will be only to happy to show you the results for prize dogs etc.

With both of our dogs we've been very fortunate to have found excellent breeders,and come away in both instances with a lovely dog that's been a pleasure to own.

Also take some time and research the breed itself for the relevant health problems...Pugs are prone to breathing problems,obesity and skin problems.

And one other thing....£250 would be VERY cheap for a Pug these days.

Dony

Distinguished Member
Sounds dodgy to me......same person is based in Aberdeen, Belfast, Dublin and Glasgow.:confused:

The internet is for buying memory sticks and dvd's.....not pups (and certainly not from a different country).

My advise, like many who will reply here, is to walk away from this. Google pug breeders in your area and arrange a visit....it's always a good idea to see both parents before buying a pup.

There are a lot of puppy farms in N. Ireland (seems like every month a new farm is being reported on the news), so I would be very wary.

Zeromajor

thanks for the helpful replies, sounds like we should give this one a wide berth - it's shocking how these scammers prey on people like that, you sort of expect it with ebay and electronic goods but puppies? :mad:

Perceval

Banned
Personally,I would never buy an animal that I hadn't been able to see,and this ad and the story with it look very dodgy indeed.

Actually viewing the dog and breeding premises tells you a lot about the breeder and the way they look after and raise their dogs,as well as giving you the opportunity to see the puppy itself.

You should also check the registration with the Kennel Club to see if it's genuine,and follow up some of the breeder's history if at all possible.

Most if not all genuine breeders will be only to happy to show you the results for prize dogs etc.

With both of our dogs we've been very fortunate to have found excellent breeders,and come away in both instances with a lovely dog that's been a pleasure to own.

Also take some time and research the breed itself for the relevant health problems...Pugs are prone to breathing problems,obesity and skin problems.

And one other thing....£250 would be VERY cheap for a Pug these days.

Great post.

To the OP,

No good breeder would ever sell dogs in this way.

In fact most of the breeders I have used are more concerned by your ability to properly care for your dog rather than offloading an animal for financial purposes.

Take note of the puppy farm comment.

I know you may not want to hear this, but Pugs are generally ****ed genetically, for the reasons that Alex has given above.

The original Pug was a handsome, hardy animal. What we have now are disgraces against nature I'm afraid.

They may look 'cute' but they are burdened by so many genetical afflictions that in my view the breed should be allowed to 'disappear'.

Put it this way, you wouldn't choose to engineer a child to have severe respiratory/cardiac problems would you?

eric pisch

Distinguished Member
Great post.

To the OP,

No good breeder would ever sell dogs in this way.

In fact most of the breeders I have used are more concerned by your ability to properly care for your dog rather than offloading an animal for financial purposes.

Take note of the puppy farm comment.

I know you may not want to hear this, but Pugs are generally ****ed genetically, for the reasons that Alex has given above.

The original Pug was a handsome, hardy animal. What we have now are disgraces against nature I'm afraid.

They may look 'cute' but they are burdened by so many genetical afflictions that in my view the breed should be allowed to 'disappear'.

Put it this way, you wouldn't choose to engineer a child to have severe respiratory/cardiac problems would you?

:lesson:

Cute maybe but very ill dogs, they need to be allowed to die out now im afraid. Many owners face huge surgery bills to try to over come there problems.

figoagogo

Distinguished Member
4. The seller now emails us with a supposed delivery 'reservation' under my partners name for delivery of the pup for tommorow afternoon. Personally i've never heard of dogs being transported like this without owners/breeders being present but from the emails it seems like the seller is willing to do so (she mentioned that she would prefer if we could come to see the pup before purchase but in these circumstances it's not an option). We recieved a delivery reservation/account number but no details of who this company actually is. We still haven't recieved a home address or contact number for the seller.

A dog by mail, is that recorded or special delivery :D :confused: :(

This alone makes it sound dodgy.

Naaktgeboren

Distinguished Member
You would be buying from a puppy farm so walk away from this deal now and 'even' contact the RSPCA or anyone else like that and get this looked into. The kind of suffering these puppy's encounter is horrific. You don't want to be supporting such practise. :mad:

mjn

Distinguished Member
Just use an approved and registered dealer.

dc007

Massive thumbs down from me :thumbsdow

This whole set up reeks of puppy-farm.

The other posters have all made excellent points - I'd walk away and not look back...

Zeromajor

As I thought, this morning we recieved an email from the delivery company. Lordy what a joke:

Dear Client
Pacific Pet Welcomes you , We got your details for delivery Reservation of a Pug Puppy.DNA sexed (Female). This mail is to make sure that your Reservation is booked and The Details Double Checked Before Confirmation is sent.
We are Very Pleased to announce to You The Fact That Our Head Office and Inspection team Have approved Your Booking and Reservation for Your Pet Delivery which was done yesterday the 15/10/2008 is now ready for shipping and home delivery.
your reservation are as follow:
-The reservation number is, 05J328 B
-The account number is, 121
-Account Name ,XXXX XXXXXX

-Delivery destination :

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Delivery is to be done today the at exactly 6:00pm, your puppy will be checked in and a costumer care service will alert you of the where abouts of your puppy every 50 minutes..All what is needed now is payments for the puppy and delivery charges. Due to the fact that any pet using our service requires atleast 1 hour Rest before delivery, your puppy will be delivered at exactly 6:00pm prompt today evening . So make sure you or someone is at home to receive the puppy. Below is the payment details, you will have to send in the payment as soon as you can, so that we have it all done on time and we will issue the receipt of payment and provide the delivery test question & answer which has to be attached to the delivery documents and Carry on with the delivery. The total cost as you know including delivery to your door, is a total of ¨£250.

Here is the payment address

Names......Mr Paul Pascal
Address....183 Antrim Road
City........Belfast
Country.....Northern Ireland
Postcode...BT15 2GW

All you need to do is copy the address on a piece of paper and go to the nearest Post Office around you and make the payments via Moneygram as it will be faster and easier for us to issue the receipt of payment,delivery Test question & Answer and proceed with the delivery..
As soon as the money is paid, call back with the payment details which includes the Reference number (8 digits) and the full sender's name.
Thank you
Pet Travel Consultant.
James moore
Tel ph 0703-184-6675
www.pacificpets.tk
"An Educated Client is our Best Customer"

The amateur's used a .tk site to copy a real pet transportation/rehoming site and he's even set up a gmail accout under the same name, hilarious!

I doubt very much this puppy is real under these circumstances.

Last edited:

Miyazaki

Distinguished Member
Are you sure the breeder isn't based in Nigeria?

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom