1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying a projector in the USA

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Jon, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Jon

Jon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am going on holiday to Florida early next year and was thinking of getting a projector while there as they are so much cheaper, my cousin who lives out there bought a InFocus X1 for about £450. I know i will need an adapter for the power lead, but that should be ok. I had a look and the X1 accepts Pal signals so i cant see any other problems (if anyone knows of any please let me know). I was thinking of getting the X1 but can afford more if its justifiable, I dont have HDMI yet, but will be looking to get a DVD with HDMI in the future. Could anyone recomend a projector, budget of around $1500, but that could go up if its a blinding deal.

Cheers

Jon

2. Dr Pumpstain

Dr Pumpstain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    check out the 4805 on US websites, they are very attractive at their $$$ price...

3. Jon

Jon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply mate, i will have a look! Have you got one yourself?

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Make sure you watch for the acceptable mains voltages. Many projectors are intended to be used worldwide and so have multi-voltage PSUs (i.e. accept 110 > 240 v). These are OK. Any that are US voltage only (110) will require a separate transformer.

Also consider that you should declare and pay duty and VAT when you bring it home.

5. Dr Pumpstain

Dr Pumpstain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I couldn't be doing with the hassle buying abroad so bought a H30 for £1000. Demo'd both the H30 and 4805 though and they are equally cracking machines for the money!!!

6. Jon

Jon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply guys!

7. russ123

russ123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Does anyone know if there are any differences with a US 4805 compared to the UK spec (other than the possible voltage issue)?

8. alf

alf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ]I have just come back from New York where I bought an Infocus 4805.Its exactly the same as the ones you buy over here.You just need an adaptor to put on the end of the plug,turn it on and away you go.Minimum fan noise and a fantasticly colourful picture.No rainbows either.I played about with brightness,contrast settings etc as you do,but I couldnt improve on the units presets.A tweakers machine this is not.The only problem about importing it into the country is Im not sure how it affects the warranty,but I will worry about it if the time comes.I payed full whack for it as its almost impossible to find hifi or hometheatre shops in Manhattan.Works out at about £850.Believe me for the quality thats a bargain :zonked:

9. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Go For It!!

Dont worry bout Customs... there not after small stuff. Send the box back separately and pack the pj in a hold-all.

Check here for best prices and voltage stuff. Also ebay.com

Happy hunting

CH

10. russ123

russ123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Thanks guys for the positive words :thumbsup:
    There really does seem to be a ridiculous price difference.
    If it wasn't for people not wanting to risk customs or the ludicrous charges for postal imports, manufacturers would have a hard time getting away with it.

11. ptuxford

ptuxford
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Make sure you are aware of any local tax in the state you purchase the projector. Most states have 7% + local sales tax (VAT) on all goods, although you can get around this by internet purchase on some sites.

Just check it out first. It can take the shine off an otherwise cracking deal.

12. Jon

Jon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone for your advise, in particular Alf for telling us about your experience buying this unit in the States!

Cheers

jon