1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying a projector advice?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by thfccambs, Nov 25, 2003.

1. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,806
    I'm looking to turning my spare room in to a cinema room,mostly for watching dvds, football and playing PS2.I would look to purchase a second hand projector to start with.Rooms about 15ft by 10ft.
    1.How far should the projector be from the screen?
    2.Does anyone know of any good places to pick up 2nd hand projectors?
    3.Which would be the best way to connect my sky+,dvd and PS2 to the projector?
    4.Any advice on what sort of projector to buy?
    Any advice would be great as well.
    Thanks

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    1. depends totally on the projector
    2. here is the best place i know, i dont trust ebay
    3. if you can afford, the best way which ould give simple switching would be an iscan pro. If you mean cable wise, component is favorite (for dvd), svid for the sky and im not sure about ps2.
    4. AE300/Z1 are good second hand buys given the presence of new models

ad

3. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,806
    Been offered a Nec mt 800 new lamp has 260 hours for £450 is this a good price?Can't find anything on net about it.

Turned the offer down,more than i wanted to pay for a 2nd hand projector.

5. Oxfordguy

Oxfordguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I Have a PT-AE100 for sale with no dead pixels. Not sure if I'm allowed to do a sales pitch here, so I wont. But you could PM me.

As for advice, I looked on these forums for 2 years before I decided to take the plunge. The problem is that even £500 is a lot to spend on something that you cannot see. I found that I went from retailer to retailer that all sold projectors, but none of them had demo facilities.

I guess being in Edinburgh is a bit far for you to travel, but if it helps you, I'll happily demo my 100 and 300 for you so that you can see the differences. I am sure that other members will let you pop round to their houses for a look at their setups too.

A lot of home cinema is personal preference. I've now seen quite a lot of projectors, and working in the music industry, I listen to the best speakers that money can buy at work. Having said that, it's all about what you want to spend, and then looking at the goodies you can buy for that price, and a little less as often you will be surprised at how little difference there is between higher priced models, and more affordable models.

In terms of connecting your kit to the projector, I looked at the iscan's, but didn't see that much of an improvement, instead I guess that you will want 5.1 or 6.1 surround sound. Most of the surround amps today have video routing on them so just make sure to buy one that has sufficient S-video inputs. One option is to buy an amp with component as if you have a DVD player that has component out, you will get a better picture from your PJ. I understand that Progressive scan DVD players offer much improved picture quality. I haven't seen one on a PJ, but having seen one on a 42" plasma, I found it had to tell them apart, though 42" is a lot different from 106".

hope this helps. I'm not a real enthusiast like many here, instead I go into my dedicated home cinema room, put a dvd on and enjoy the movie on my big screen. If that's what you are looking to do,m then you can do it without breaking the bank, or upsetting the wife as she can't get it to work.

Good Luck

6. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. Oxfordguy

Oxfordguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ahh, thanks Kramer. I'll put my 100 on the forums just as soon as I've done my comparison to ensure that I'm keeping the 300.

I've been that happy with the 100 and it's trouble free performance, that unless the 300 is markably better, I'll stick with the 100 and flog the 300 for a few quid more that I paid. I'm worried about your postings that it was a bit soft. I guess I'll see at the weekend when I've got the time to set it up.

hunts1UK, ever thought of a CRT PJ? I thought about it for a long time but couldn't sell the idea to the wife. On the CRT forums, there are many an LCD user that have made the leap to CRT. I understand the picture quality is way better and you could probably get one for your £500 budget.

Just a thought

8. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,806
    Oxfordguy unable to PM you as your PM is not set up.

9. Oxfordguy

Oxfordguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ahh sorry about that. I'l try to set it up now.