1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

buying a plasma TV. What else do I need?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by sswats, Feb 14, 2005.

1. sswats

sswats

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Just about to buy the Panasonic TH-42PW7B with the media box from av-sales.

With that I'm going to buy a basic DVD 5.1 all in one kit. Either the Pioneer NSDV99 (249.99) or Panasonic SCHT05 (169.99).
    Pioneer looks better, but Panasonic will match the TV and its £80 cheaper and has component. I know sound/DVD playback quality is awful by you guys standards, but we've been living with a Grundig TV with just Nicam for the last 8 years so we're not fussy. The way it looks is probably a bit more important than its performance.

currently all I have is a standard aerial.
    Now my main question is, what else do I need. Which cables, freeview boxes etc.

we don't have sky.

And i've been reading about all these RGB to VGA or component to something else converters everyones recommended. I don't need them do I? I am on a very tight budget (as can be seen by my DVD player selection).

thanks a lot for the help

2. tamthetim

tamthetim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    media box has an analogue tuner for TV, so your aerial into the back it...............assume it comes witha standard lead to your terminal board.

looks like you'll only need component cable from DVD to media box.

no converter required.

cheers,tam

3. tamthetim

tamthetim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    oh................set of audio leads between DVD and media box also........to hear TV through your DVD/Amp

4. SNICK

SNICK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Here's what I'd recommend - dump the media box :eek: AND 5.1 all in a box :suicide: - get a better standalone DVD (Tosh 340 or pio 575 :thumbsup: which will give you far better eye candy for your buck - and spend your reamining cash on a av amp and speakers.

5. SNICK

SNICK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    .....oh and I forget a freeview box as well or even better a PVR :thumbsup: for your TV pleasure

6. sswats

sswats

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    media box is free. and whats a PVR?

If the plasma doesn't have component in, I'm guessing i wouldn't be getting component quality if I plug in through the media box, which uses scart, right ?

What connections does the panny actually have as standard? just one scart and one VGA?

7. sswats

sswats

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    sorry to bump this, but with the av-sales Panny and media box package, which connections does the TV have ?
    just a RGB scart?

8. Supersonic72

Supersonic72
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It only has VGA...

SCART is avaialble via an optional interface board...

In fact, -everything- is an optional interface board on the Panny stuff

9. sswats

sswats

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    So the media box connects via VGA?

Or do I need an interface board to connect the media box?

does the TV even have an aerial input?

I've seen the TV £100 cheaper somewhere else with a scart box instead of the media box.
    Would that be the better option?

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    media box comes with its own unique input card i would say sell media box and get pio 402 AV AMP and Pio 575 DVD player or panny E55 DVD recorder and either tannoy FX5.1 (if budget is very tight) or Canton CD1 (if there is a bit more to play with) CD1 are superb... connect how you need AMP has 3 scarts in a 1 out so can switch video to scart board or JS TECh RGB>VGA converter (ideal if you have sky/cable/Freeview and a PS2/XBOX etc)

11. sswats

sswats

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    OH, I get it now.
    Thanks.

So instead of buying then selling the media box, should I just get the one with a scart board for about £50 less?

How much could I sell the media box for?

What I'll probably do then is order it from av-sales. I'll test my current DVD player on the media box if I like it I'll keep it and just get the standard home theatre package (pioneer NSDV99 for 250), if not I'll sell the media box and get the panny 55 recorder and Pio 402 (i'll decide on speakers later but even the tannoys look a stretch).

Thnaks for teh help.

One more question
    anyone wanna buy a media box?

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    £100 minimum £250 has been put as the ideal price for Ebay there were some on there at £299 buy it now a few days ago

13. sswats

sswats

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I found the same TV with a scart terminal, and total including delivery and wall bracket came to £110 less than AV-sales (also with wall bracket) media box pack

Now with the other TV I would need to buy the freeview box and I'd have to buy a 5.1 DVD system with multiple inputs (the media box has aerial and multiple inputs so it has those covered and i wouldn't need to buy that). I've found a panasonic DVD system one at richer sounds but its £60 more expensive than the standard panasonic home cinema one.

So i would end up spending about the same, but one i'd get a media box, and the 2nd I'd get a freeview box and a 5.1 system with more options.

So whats the better option? and what has the better quality input? scart socket or media box?

also a factor is the other shop has some in stick now. And since I'm going abroad middle of next week I won't be able to order it till a month from now which would leave my family with an old 21" CRT for a month (I don;t trust anyone else in my family to be responsible for the TV if it arrives and I'm not here).

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    PW7, scart and VSX402 makes so much sense, I can't see why the low end plasma world doesn't go for it. 3 RGB scarts and a VGA input left for more fun, 5.1 sound, and a dinky remote that operates 80% of kit must be good. You just need to select the right gear and 1 remote control it will be. You know it makes sense. A PVR freeview makes sense instead of a DVDR too, it's abit like the Ikea ad that said 'chuck out your chintz', it's 'chuck out your analogue tuners' time, they'll be junk in a few years time.

15. sswats

sswats

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    whats a PVR freeview?
    any recommendations on a very cheap one whatevr it is.

I would love to get the 402 but its really stretching the budget.
    If I get that I have to get the Yamaha NSP100 speaker set. Or can you recommend other speakers under £100. Thats my maximum budget. no options.

16. frank-g

frank-g
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PVR is a Personal Video Recorder. Basically a freeview digital set top box with a hard disk to record on. I have had a Fusion FVRT100 since christmas, £169 over the internet from Currys.

It's great to be able to pause 'live' TV and make a cuppa or answer the phone, then when you're done hit play a start watching again. I have found the picture quality outstanding and can't wait to use it with the Panasonic TH-42PWD7 I have just ordered from av-sales.

The menu graphics are not brilliant but you soon get used to navigating your way around. The scene selection on recordings, similar to DVD's, is handy. Now has 14 TV guide. Only letdown is no repeat record facility for series of programes, although understand that is due to be updated soon.

Oh, that's another handy thing. The unit doesn't start to become obsolete when you have made your purchase, they broadcast software updates.

17. sswats

sswats

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    is there a PVR with a built in DVD player/recorder?

170 is a bit much. I was planning on just getting a Pioneer one for 69.99.

In the future i'll just switch it over to another TV and get the PVR for the main one. But I'll check it out.

Unfortunately I can't find a speaker system (doesn't have to be 5.1 right now, just good quality for TV and DVD) I like within budget which is £100 (if I get the Pio 402)

18. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    if you arent fussed by 5.1 just now why not get a stereo pair? 2 x CD50 cantoms will be just over £100 from germany (easy to upgrade to 5.1 later) or choose a normal stereo pair, loads of choice for £100

19. sswats

sswats

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    a link to CD50 Cantoms?
    google came up with nothing.
    av-sales have CD-10 but they look a bit small. I don't know, I just have trouble spending that kind of money on something that looks like my sisters PC speakers. Are they good enough to work alone (ie no subwoofer or centre speaker)

How are the Mission M71I for £60?
    or are floorstanders better, like the Mission M73I or Gale 3030 for £120?

I guess I should ask this in the speaker section.

thanks for the help with the TV choice anyway guys.

20. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    They would all work for you. The pioneer freeview will of course work on the remote for the 402. This system leaves you a decent and reasonably priced upgrade to full 5.1 and decent stereo pair now is a better way to go than nasty 5.1, for sure. If you've got room for floorstanders they'll be better now, not much different once you've got a sub.

21. sswats

sswats

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    sorry to keep bumping.
    but found out John Lewis do five year warranty, so wouldn't I be better off getting the LG RZ42PX11, 42 Inch.

on this forum people are saying you can get it for £1500. would that be a better option for a noob like me?
    or will I really notice the difference with the panasonic?

what does the panasonic have that the LG doesn't?

22. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Quality????

23. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The main difference is that the Panasonic reliably produces a good picture, the LG does not. There all sorts of well documented problems with this screen, there are things you just can't say on the internet, as it would get Spectre into trouble, so I will leave it there.

24. sswats

sswats

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    that big a difference?

ok, its just considering all the posts about Panny problems. having a warranty would be nice.

thanks again. Panasonic it is. Just nervous spenfing 1500 only to find I bought the wrong one. but I'm okay now.

25. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    then buy the warranty AV-sales sell TADL warranty £180 for extra 2 years etc.......
    have a look at the issues that the LG are having, Firmware updates every couple of months dodgy build batches.......(remember the Panny should cost £2k+ for panel alone......LG should not even be considered in same company)

26. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I don't really understand what you mean about panny problems. Ok it's effort to make it HD compatible, but nobody has problems with them. The only thing that ever goes wrong is the power supply, and you will no doubt have noticed that Panasonic are not unwilling to fix it even when technically out of warranty. I know of at least 4 cases where this has happened, it's not a 1 off. But the failure itself appears confined to earlier 6 series panels, and is by no means that frequent.