1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying a plasma online (warranty Q)

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Stampax, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Stampax

Stampax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    If I buy a plasma TV online and it goes wrong in the first year, when it is obviously under its one year manufacturers warranty, does this mean if Ihave problems I need to deal withthe online shop - or do i Just call Panasonic or Hitachi etc direct?
    And will they come to me, or do i have to post the plasma to them (v expensive).

Or does it depend on the individual shop, or make of plasma?

I'm very seduced by cheap deals online - but don't wanna regret it later!!!!!

2. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Not sure about Hitachi but with Panasonic - so long as it is Panasonic UK supplied stock - not sure about situation with non-UK - if you need service you contact Panasonic and they send an authorised Panasonic service agent to your home - regardless of where you purchased from.
    So with Panasonic just buy as cheaply as possible - it can be a good idea to buy from John Lewis to benefit from their 5 year warranty - but have them price match your best price from an internet trader - see this thread for guidance.
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224447

John Lewis must be off their heads giving 5 year guarantees on plasmas AND price matching t'internet - but make hay while the sun shines.

Obviously you may prefer to pay more to benefit from expert installation but that wasn't your question. :cool:

3. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    If it's in the first year it's best to contact the retailer first and let them arrange the whole thing. The reason being if you arrange for an engineer directly they may just take away your set for repair leaving you without an alternative. At least you can discuss the possiblity of a replacement/refund, if it's early on, or a loaner with the retailer. Obviously if you have a difficult time with you're retailer you can still contact the manufacturer anyway.

Don't forget when you make a purchase you're contract is with the retailer not the manufacturer so issues of consumer rights need to be addressed with the seller.

4. Stampax

Stampax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Well im thinking of buying from totaldigital - the panasonic v500. But they seem to state on their website, any problems send the plasma back to them at your own cost..... but i was pretty sure i could just deal with panasonic direct.....

5. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    John Lewis should price match the Total Digital price and cover the plasma for 5 years - but if you insist on having a one year guarantee...
    Enter your postcode on the Panasonic Customer Care link - it will inform you where your nearest Authorised Panasonic Service dealer is - and whether the call-out to you will be at no charge.
    http://www.panasonic.co.uk/customer-support/guarantee.asp

It is absolutely correct that your consumer rights apply against the dealer that you purchased from - but with LCDs and PDPs - many dealers ( even Panasonic dealers ) are not actually authorised Panasonic service centres - so your repair will possibly be undertaken by a third party other than whom you bought from anyway.
    Obviously if you use the best part of buying off the internet ie. the lower price - and use the best part of buying from John Lewis ie. the price match, the proven service back-up and the 5 year guarantee - its a no-brainer. :cool:

6. Alan A

Alan A
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What about if you do not have a John Lewis near you?

7. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I suppose you would have to balance the cost saving and the warranty against the inconvenience of driving further - and possibly hiring a small van ?
    The service aspect should be no problem as Panasonic service website registration has an option for department store purchases - it would be necessary to confirm that the JL 5 year cover is valid when serviced outside the area of the nearest store - by an authorised service centre.
    Unfortunately - the obvious plan of ordering from www.johnlewis.com is NOT an option because they do not price match when you buy through their website. I don't follow the logic of the small print regarding this on their website - sounds like bull to me. :cool:

Pricing policy
    Our prices online are the same as in John Lewis shops. Occasionally you may find a lower price in one of our shops if they are matching the price of a local competitor, or online if we have a johnlewis.com special offer. The prices in our catalogues are the same as in our shops at the time of going to press, but may be subject to change during the life of a catalogue.
    We do not apply our shops' 'Never Knowingly Undersold' pricing promise to our online and catalogue prices. This is because we are unable to verify the availability and comparability of the goods and the standards of service and support that are offered by other Internet and catalogue competitors, but you can always be assured of the same dedication to competitive pricing and exceptional value you find in our department stores, where we remain of course 'Never Knowingly Undersold'.

8. Stampax

Stampax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    John lewis WON'T price match total digital..... i already tried that!
    JL are very fussy with their price matches, and generally try to get out of them whenever poss!

9. Majid Khan

Majid Khan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was just reading up the info abt returns/refund on Total Digital's website, if i'm not mistaken.. does this mean that if they supply you incorrect or say damaged goods at delivery, the customer has to cover the expense of shipping it back to them and by the sound of it , the customer will himself have to arrange the transport too ? (they dont mention anything about a collection service)

And it appears , during the 12 months warranty period.. the customer will have to cover the cost of shipping if he needs any repairs etc.

Thanks for bringing this issue to my attention stampax, I too was thinking of making a purchase from Total digital because of their great prices - but I guess I'll be better off sticking with Dixons or Currys.. you might have to pay a little bit extra, but I guess you can be sure that they provide a decent level of service.. with collection and return at their expenses for any repairs, during the 12 months cover.

The only internet retailer I've come across which seems like it puts a lot of important to its after sales and customer service would be 'unbeatble.co.uk'.. as for the likes of Total Digital, I guess its a risk to be taken.. although their prices are tempting..

10. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Stampax,
    Apparently " Moncs " has managed to obtain a Total Digital price match with JL ....this quote is taken from the JL price match thread - the link to the thread is in my previous post - lots of other cheap internet prices to match listed too.
    " As Mal say's, I got mine from JL in Edinburgh, got them to pricematch Total Digital ".

Majid,

" I too was thinking of making a purchase from Total digital because of their great prices - but I guess I'll be better off sticking with Dixons or Currys.. you might have to pay a little bit extra, but I guess you can be sure that they provide a decent level of service.. with collection and return at their expenses for any repairs, during the 12 months cover.
    The only internet retailer I've come across which seems like it puts a lot of important to its after sales and customer service would be 'unbeatble.co.uk'.. "

Unbeatable is Miller Brothers isn't it.
    Anyway - providing you check your geographical availability of an authorised Panasonic service centre - it makes little difference whether you buy from Currys, Unbeatable or Total Digital - for service / repairs- you will be dealing with Panasonic UK - including free collection and return. They really are cutting out the middle man.
    So there is nothing to be gained by paying Currys prices. :cool:

11. clarky78

clarky78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    JL won't price match the net, period. it's near impossible to get them to match 'real' shops like richers sounds. I have been told unconditionally by a family member that works in the price matching 'department', you cant price match the net, and only price match a shop, if the items on display with said price, and in stock.

12. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Total Digital does have a shop outlet and as has been already shown have been pricematched with JL on at least one occasion. The problem with the John Lewis pricematching policy as everyone one these forums will know by now is that it can be a very hit and miss affair with little or no consistency between stores.