Buying a phone still in contract.

Thug

Wanting to upgrade my iPhone 7 Plus to a 12 Pro Max and a lad local to me has one for sale (256Gb, £830) on market place.
He says he had it 2 days and can’t get away with it.
In fact I looked at his Facebook profile and his last post was that he hates iPhones, so I guess it could be legit.
He said he got it as an upgrade.
He also said it’s open to all networks (not sure how, if it’s an upgrade).

I am interested in it and tempted but worried if it can be bricked by him in the future.
Is there a way I can ensure this can’t happen?

He said he is genuine (he would of course), and that I am more than welcome to go to his house. His Facebook account is 8 years old with a few other sales (not phones), so not opened just to sell this phone.

I have never bought a second hand phone before, so not sure of pitfalls etc, but it’s FAR cheaper than contract. At the moment I am paying £9.04pm (5Gb, unlimited, unlimited). Where the same on contract would be £23 and tied in for 3 years plus £1199 for the phone.

Any advice?

Last edited:

damo09

I’d keep away from it. There’s nothing stopping him claiming he had lost it in the fiture and you would have no comebacks.

Thug

I’d keep away from it. There’s nothing stopping him claiming he had lost it in the fiture and you would have no comebacks.
That did cross my mind and I wanted to know if there was a way to prevent that like a receipt from him showing the IMEI number and that he sold it to me.
But I guess he doesn’t actually own it as it’s still in contract (being paid monthly over a few years). But then that’s the same as anyone buying on credit I guess.

neuty

Distinguished Member
Yes stay away. On a similar way but I had cover, I bought a couple of week old iPhones XS from CEX. I set it up and it was great. Next day No signal kept appearing. So I had a quick walk into CEX in Birmingham as I worked locally. Turns out the day after they original customer traded it in they reported it stolen and imei was blocked.

Thankfully CEX were brilliant and on the spot offered me a refund or a replacement phone. They did not have one of my choosing so it had the refund. They wasn’t bothered about the box or anything else.
So to my point, that the same could happen here and you have no leg to stand on. You are left with a big expensive paperweight.

neuty

Distinguished Member
If you have proof prior to selling that the contract is fully paid off then they will own the phone and can do what they wish.

Steven

Senior Moderator
I am interested in it and tempted but worried if it can be bricked by him in the future.
Is there a way I can ensure this can’t happen?

In one word: no

Best you can do is buy from someone with very good online trading feedback, or else buy from a retailer who will do the right thing (see above post about Cex). One of my old phones was purchased from an ex moderator, no issues at all as one would expect and donated it to a youth charity when I moved on

Dave X

Though that could be said for buying any relatively new second hand phone. It’s less to do with being on contract and more to do with the person having insurance on the handset.

plymouthbloke1974

The mobile is yours from day one of a contract, except for EE (they have a clause stating they own the phone for the first 6 months - and as such can’t be unlocked for that time either)…..

Vodafone, O2 and Three sell their iPhones unlocked out of the box now but there isn’t anything to stop the original owner calling up to report them stolen, so be aware.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom