buying a phone from Tesco mobile with no credit rating- pls help

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Ewan154, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Ewan154

Ewan154

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Hi,
    I was thinking about buying a new phone from Tesco mobile. My old phone is pay as go and starting to break down.

I found a phone I like it was 12.50 a month direct debit. The only problem is I work as a carer. I look after my mum.

I have no credit rating. I own half my mums house. all the bills are in mum name. I have always paid cash for everything. I have about 21k in savings. I pay £13 a month for HSA and £8 a month for netflix.

If I buy a new phone from Tesco will they do a credit check on me? Will I be able to buy the phone?

Any advice.

2. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,422
    They will do a credit check on you. The amount you have in savings is irrelevant.

3. rousetafarian

rousetafarian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,065
    Buy it sim free and outright using your savings maybe?

4. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,350
    Have you actually been declined?
    At that price and with those savings I'd just purchase the phone you want outright and go SIM only

5. LJx

LJx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +451
    You don't need a good credit rating to get a mobile phone contract, they will probably let you have it if they can verify your identity

6. hippo99

hippo99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,313
    Even without a credit history I think you’ll be fine. There aren’t any defaults or CCJs at your address right?
    I got my first contract phone quite fresh out of uni (way, way back) without any credit history.

At £12.50 a month, it’s not like they’re risking you doing a runner with an iPhoneX.
    If it was a £50+ monthly tariff, maybe it’d matter more that you don’t have a credit history, but £12.50? Nah

7. Ewan154

Ewan154

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Thanks for all the replies. Tesco take £10 out off your account the same day you buy the phone.

If you are refused the phone, does it look bad?

There are no CCJs at my address.

8. aVdub

aVdub
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14,593
    You could save more money by buying the phone outright and using a cheap sim only deal.

9. Ewan154

Ewan154

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    I was hope to try and build a credit rating.

10. hippo99

hippo99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,313
    Highly unlikely they’ll refuse you on such a low tariff (& guessing from the tariff) relatively cheap phone.

What’s the phone model you’re after? I’m sure someone will be able to find a sim free version of it for cheap.

11. hippo99

hippo99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,313
    You could still do that with a monthly sim only deal.

12. LJx

LJx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +451
    They won't reject you. Get a credit card if you want to build credit

13. aVdub

aVdub
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14,593
    You could buy the phone (sim free) from someone like Argos and pay off within the 6 months and use a sim only deal which will save you money and should also build your credit rating up at the same time.

14. The Dreamer

The Dreamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,046
    IMO it’s a good idea to build your credit rating. A couple of things you could do - get a credit card that is specifically for this purpose - places like moneysupermarket etc. will give recommendations.

If you do get a credit card, buy a little something every month on it, but make sure you pay it off in full each month. Most cards will allow you to set up a direct debit to do just this - but make sure it is to pay the full amount, as the default setup with a lot of direct debits is to just cover the minimum amount.

Other stuff you can do, is to put some of the utility bills into your name - but again it’s very important not to fall into arrears.

We’ve had friends that have been widowed, where their partners paid all the bills and ran all the credit cards - and all of a sudden find life very difficult just as they’re coping with their loss, they find they can’t get credit etc. As they haven’t built up a credit history - this despite being named card holders (but as they’ve found out, being a secondary holder doesn’t generate a history), and having joint accounts.

Many years ago, we bought some expensive blinds for our conservatory at our previous house. We opted to finance them, and my wife gave her details to the salesman. She was declined for the loan! This, despite her earning as much as me at the time (she’s a GP), and despite us having a joint bank account. At the time, all of our credit cards were in my name, with my wife as a secondary holder. We hadn’t realised that this would have such an adverse effect on her credit rating.

Something we found out was that credit ratings need to be maintained, despite her having a perfect rating years before, the lack of current activity in her name led to a decline in her rating until she was no longer able to get any credit. It took a while, but by having a couple of credit cards and utility bills in her name we managed to get her score back up.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  15. Ewan154

Ewan154

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Hi,
    Thanks for all the info everyone

16. DPinBucks

DPinBucks
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,015
    That's very good advice.

Ever since we got married, we've had joint accounts, but with everything financial in my name (except for savings like ISAs, etc). Some years ago, we suddenly cottoned-on to the implications for her credit rating, so she took out a current account and credit card in her own name, the latter paid off each month by DD from the former.

She uses it a lot but generally only for smaller personal items; rarely more than 20% of our total each month, but it's enough to establish a credit score. It's kept topped up by some personal regular income items.

By mutual agreement I monitor it as part of our day-to-day household accounts.

17. DPinBucks

DPinBucks
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,015
    PS to the above:

We haven't done it, but you could extend the idea so that the other account pays off a service bill or two by DD, such as water or broadband.