1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying a Panny 50"

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by NAH, Aug 11, 2004.

1. NAH

NAH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having followed the wisdom here for the last month, I am ready to make the plunge for a plasma.

Finally I have decided on a 50" (viewing distance min. 6') and narrowed my choice to the TH50PHW6 and the Fuji P50. I found the PQ slightly better on the Fuji but this could have been the set-up! But reading here that DVI wasn't a future option on the Fuji I have decided on the Panny - assuming DVI maybe useful in the future (won't be connecting a PC) - the Panny is also around £1000 cheaper here.

I'll be watching satellite TV and DVD's so don't need a tuner and a don't have an audio set-up yet (will use 2 channel HiFi to start).

Appreciate any comments on the logic of my choice before I buy.

Also I read in the reviews that the Panny media box was recommended but don't understand why (except perhaps to save running an extra couple of cables). Your views?

What connection boards should I buy with the plasma for the best PQ and any advice on cables (I know they make a major difference in Audio)?

Appreciate any help.

Cheers,

Neil

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I would add an Iscan ultra or HD to your shopping list, this will take composite, S-video, component 2 of each and then ouputs them all via either RGBHV (D-sub [PC vga] socket) to PC input on screen or via DVi, also has audio delay for lip sync issues.

3. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hey Neil,

Have you thought about buying used :devil:

I have my minty mint series 6 silver 50" panny for sale here on the forums at a bargain price, plus you'll get allthe connections you could need with money left over for an iScanHD should you want it.

Take a looky here :

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145244

Selling due to wanting to upgrade to the larger picture of a CRT projector but other than that the images from my panny are great. Very nice blacks, with good levels of detail.

Cheers, Lee

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Reviewers are the only ones who'd suggest this. Pure c**p. Listen to Horny, and Loonatic who actually owns one. If you have the media box you can't connect anything else to the sceen, and the box itself is medium awful. The scaler route is far far better, most likely you will need some form of video hub as you have no AV amp to switch with yet. I think the magazine reviewers don't actually know how to connect up without a scart cable in their hand. Or maybe the screen is supplied for review with only VGA. The panasonic scart board is also to be avoided on the 50", too soft by far on the big one. You should be able to get a deal involving a 50" and a scaler, maybe with a DVI board, though they are impressive via VGA too. Then you need no board at all to start with, maybe go DVI later?

5. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Panasonic 50" 6 series = Great screen :smashin:

You wouldn't be disapointed, when I got mine, about 3 months or so ago I got it for ~£4800 but then spotted it for £4200 and got it pricematched. As its getting closer and closer to the normal time for the details of the next generation screens to be announced the price will probably have slipped a little more by now.

I'd say you should be able to get the Panny for ~£4200 and then add a DVI board for ~£100 and a iScanHD for ~£900 and you would have a great setup. If you talked to some of the forum sponsors, Ken (Ivojo), Joe (TMF), MAW (TBPAV), or Liam (Progressive AV), you would no doubt be able to sort everything out for less than the price of the Fujitsu from some retailers.

Ryan

6. NAH

NAH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your advice. :thumbsup:

Looks like I need to think about the AV Amp before I start buying boards :smashin: What are the popular Av Amps around here? I am only interested for AV not 2 channel music performance.

If I've understood right, the Amp will act as the video switcher and I connect to the screen with component - which I assume comes with the screen. Do most AV amps have the audio delay option that you mention that the iScan has ? - this lip sync delay sounds like it could be very annoying.

If the iScan scaler is around £900 I would probably wait before splashing out on one. If I use an AV Amp is the only benefit (albeit perhaps a big one) of the scaler better PQ (ie doesn't save me any boards) ?

By the way, is it true that the only difference between the PHW and the non-consumer model (PHD I think) is the colour of the frame?

Again thanks for your help so far and appreciate your advise on the above.

Cheers,

Neil

PS Loonatic thanks for the offer but I don't live the UK so not a convenient solution. Good luck with your sale, it seems a reasonable deal.

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Hi again, yes the only differences in the models is the frame colour. AV amp wise, I'd like to recommend the Denon AVR3805. Unless you live in a masnion it'll have enough power, and it has video up-conversion, and 3 component video inputs, so you have 3 decent high quality sources taken care of, and more s-videos than you can shake a stick at, all of which are upconverted. It won't add quality, but it's soooo convenient. You don't need a video board at all then, just a 3 phono to 15pin sub-d cable. The panny is happy with component into the VGA port.

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    There are a couple of other AV amps that wil do this, Yamaha RX2400 (not quite sure on exact model, something 2400)