1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying A Panasonic Plasme, Help Needed.

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by MrRubberGloves, Dec 30, 2004.

1. MrRubberGloves

MrRubberGloves
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am new to all this so be gentle with me.

Have browsed this forum numerous times and haven't found the answers I need, so here goes...

At the moment my choice is between the Panasonic TH-42PW7B and maybe the Panasonic TH-42PHD7. Does the extra £800 warrant me to buy the PHD7? I can see that there are more pixels and the ratio is 3000:1 compared to 4000:1 but what other things are there that make the PHD7.

Which one would some of you opt for?

Now this is where it gets interesting, what extras will I need?

Should I buy one of the above I am none the wiser as to what else I should need to purchase, at the moment I only need to connect a combinded video and dvd player, I do have sky tv which is digital which currently runs from the front room via the small remote eye that connects through the back of the video/dvd player. Will I need to purchase anything else so that I can complete the set up of my plasma? At the moment the video/dvd player is connected to the TV via a scart lead.

In the future I am thinking of upgrading to Sky + and have the box installed in the same room as the plasma and when the kids get a little older I will buy a Play Station 2 or X Box games console, so what components will I need to purchase to connect the above to a plasma.

Thanks in advance, my head is now mashed.

:smashin:

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    GEt tthe PHD7 but you may need to save an extra £8-900 for a scaler to get the very best out of it........It has more pixels and better processing

3. MrRubberGloves

MrRubberGloves
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the reply.

Hhhmm, that would be stretching my budget a little too far, I could probably afford that in 12 months but I'm the impatient type so will probably pop for the PW7. As asked before, if I was to buy the PW7 and want to connect the video/DVD player combination, Sky + and a games console what other goodies would I need to buy?

:confused: :suicide:

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Get either the scaler, or a video upconverting amp with a bunch of component video inputs, or both. This will allow you to connect a number of video sources to a screen, and get them all displayed with only 1 video cable and 1 input board. It's more cost effective in the long run. You'll need about £400-£450 for the amp, yamaha 750 or Onkyo 602.

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    getting a PHD7 and adding a scaler (icing on the cake) in a year or so would be great and give one of the best set-ups possible

6. MrRubberGloves

MrRubberGloves
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Right, I won't be buying the PHD7 and will be going for the PW7 even though I'd like to but at the moment I can't afford it and need a new telly ASAP as the one I've got at the moment is on the blink and needs replacing.

So, can some kind soul tell me what other extras I'd need to connect Sky +, a combined video and DVD player and in the future a games console.

Thanks.

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    scart board for DVD/VCR combi (hope it only needs one scart for both DVD and VCR replay) JS RGB>VGA box for Sky+ and another scart board for consoles (i would add this later, I would also ditch the combo box not ideal for plasma)

8. 406lx

406lx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27

Anyone know a place to get the Onkyo 602, looks very impressive on their website RRP £450. The Yamaha looks also very impressive, any comments on which is better?

:hiya:

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Drop MAW a line he knows where to buy ONKYO

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I must confess to being an Onkyo dealer, yes. But I retain balance by pointing out the yammy does a good job too. The onkyo has independent zone 2 which is nice....