Buying a pair of Parasound JC1's from the US

Loffen

Standard Member
Reaction score
And would need information on how to get them from 110v to 220v can anybody help :hiya:

Your best bet is to contact Parasound direct and ask for a list of dealers in the UK who can do this for you.

Looking at the website,and the PDFs of the amp,it is very likely that it may run to new transformers for the amps,as was the case with Krell and many others,with different spec transformers being used in either side of the pond.

Also,you would need to consider the warranty issues,and using a 240-100V transformer is likely to be a non-starter given that you would need a transformer capable of at least 1300W at full power.

A possible although not cheap solution would be Ben Duncan's transformer based mains isolation,but for your proposed amps this would weigh in as both expensive and heavy.
This is available in 240-110V versions.

And would need information on how to get them from 110v to 220v can anybody help :hiya:

As far as I am aware parasound stuff it normally dual voltage and a switch on the back of their equipment usually allows you to select either 220v or 110v. If not the transformer power pack will be your best bet.

As far as I am aware parasound stuff it normally dual voltage and a switch on the back of their equipment usually allows you to select either 220v or 110v. If not the transformer power pack will be your best bet.

True of most parasound gear,but if you look at the back of the JC-1,this is not an option.
The amplifiers are specified only for one market i.e 110V for US items.

I totally agree with Alex here. When I lived in the US and subsequently returned I brought back a reasonably good integrated amplifier, thinking I'd be able to run it off a step down transformer.

It blew 2 of them before I gave up and shipped it back to a friend.

You should also bear in mind that at a lower voltage, the current required increases. We run off a maximum 13 volts from wall sockets - not enough for most power amps.

Get the work done professionally or re-think your purchase.

Power amps running at 110/20 V are not suitable for use in the UK. Even if you get it to work, I think you'd get severe hum/buzzing from the amp - not worth it IMO.

I'm sure it would be easier to get them from the UK.........and cheaper.
CRTprojectors have them on offer £3500 for 2 or £5175 for 3

Hi
I imported a Parasound HCA1500 from the USA and the tranny was dual voltage and the US instruction book had very clear details on conversion to UK voltage,you might be lucky with these amps being the same.
Give CSE a call they will confirm either way.
01423 359054

There is no switchable power option on the JC1. They are internally wired for the 'local' market. Forget about using power converters and external transformers... you'll not get the sound quality you are buying these units for. If you have the knowledge or the ability to work it out, you should be able to rewire the primaries to suit 240V... but.. you really need to know what you are doing or you'll end up with a pile of smoking junk. Your best bet is to get the local dealer to have it done ( assuming you can find one ).

Importing from the US can be a very expensive option. The freight alone will be a killer.. and then there's the import duty... Have you taken all this into account????? Buying used in the UK or in Europe would be a better bet.

There is no switchable power option on the JC1. They are internally wired for the 'local' market. Forget about using power converters and external transformers... you'll not get the sound quality you are buying these units for. If you have the knowledge or the ability to work it out, you should be able to rewire the primaries to suit 240V... but.. you really need to know what you are doing or you'll end up with a pile of smoking junk. Your best bet is to get the local dealer to have it done ( assuming you can find one ).

Importing from the US can be a very expensive option. The freight alone will be a killer.. and then there's the import duty... Have you taken all this into account????? Buying used in the UK or in Europe would be a better bet.

Both my posts above and those of jackal also made this clear,and your advice above is also very specific on the topic.

Hopefully this should discount ideas of switchable options,which may be available on lower spec and lower powered items,but not on these.

Hei

I am sorry for my late replay to this tread.

I did some resarch on a couple of other forums and the conversion is actually pretty simple.

The transformer has to be re wired from paralell to serial,change one jumper and the main fuse,thats it :D

I did also buy a set from the US and got the rewiring done by one of the "gurus" over there.

I got them for just under 4000 USD (3 months old) shipping in the US was 150 USD and home to Norway is 300 USD,the taxes will be 1000 Usd so the total will be under 5500 USD for the pair.
The retail here is over 13400 USD and it is almost impossible to get them used.

So I think I made a good deal.

Hei again.

I just want to say thank you for all the input I got from this tread.
For sure a lot to think about when doing a 110v to 240v conversion.
I have added a (bad) picture of my system still missing the JC1 but they will come soon and be placed on each side on the top shelf.
The units are Parasound C2,D3,T3,A21,A52(JC1)JBL Ti10k,Ti6k,Ti2k,Tikcenter and 2xTik sub's together with a Pioneer PDP428xd (on the way out,I did just order the LX508D) and a Infocus 7210,I use kimber cables.

Thanks

Espen :hiya:

Attachments

• TV+Ti6k 001.jpg
    TV+Ti6k 001.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 3,320
All very nice indeed,and should be weighed down even more in a while!

I am sure you'll enjoy the results of all this.

Hei Loffen, you in Norge too? ( See your shot of ValgDag )

I just picked up a used A51 on AvForum.no and had it shipped frm Vadsø to Oslo. It's a beauty!

Hei Loffen, Just curious where you got them from... I was seriously thinking about the C2 but didn't like the idea of parting with 47,000 Nok. I was even thinking about the P7.. Perhaps I should look on Audiogon.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom