Buying a new TV soon.. advice needed :)

Waynester

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

I’ve been extremely happy with my 2015 bought Panasonic TX-55CX802, but I think it’s time to upgrade to an OLED and I’d really like a 65” Telly
I sit around 10ft from the screen
Panasonic is in Mint condition and has no issues, great picture and has served me well
I’m gonna sell it i think, any ideas what I could realistically get for it? (Prepare to be insulted) hahahahahha

I want to choose a new 65” Oled to replace it, I keep hearing how good this model is? Or do you need a bright room or dark room for best picture?

Pictures of my current layout here

or should I go for a Sony or another Panasonic?
I’m not a big gamer, although I do occasionally play my Sony PS4 Pro,

Any advice would be fantastic

My budget is no more than £1400 to £1600 (ideally)

LG C1 65 should fit the bill. You'll be paying a lot more for a C2 and the evo panel.

The whole 'LCD in a bright room - OLED in a dark room' thing is over-simplified and over-stated, IMO. I have my Panasonic OLED in a bright room and, while I do most of my viewing in the evenings admittedly, I have no major issues when viewing during the day. Drawing the odd curtain occasionally on a particularly sunny day is not a problem and is something I'd have to do for an LCD TV anyway. OLED screens can be quite reflective though so if your current TV has a matt LCD screen, then you might notice more reflections on brighter days. I have no idea whether modern LCDs use matt or glossy screens to know whether LCD would offer an advantage over OLED in this respect but if your room doesn't 'get the sun' then this may not be an issue anyway. Whatever you choose, my advice would be to buy from a retailer with good customer service to whom you could easily return a TV in the event of any issues.

LG have been recommended above other manufacturers in recent years due to their excellent HDMI 2.1-related gaming features but, if you don't have (or intend to get) a current gen console then that advantage is less important. Panasonic have, historically, often been recommended for their excellent out-of-the-box image quality. I certainly have no complaints with my GZ950 - it's been an excellent, all-round TV and the image quality is fantastic. I game on it with my PS4 regularly.

Even though the different manufacturers have their strengths and weaknesses, the picture quality of the LG, Panasonic and Sony OLEDs are actually likely to be pretty similar, so it may boil down to what specs/features you need and what the OS/smart capabilities are like.

I would start by checking out the AV Forums reviews of the models you're interested in (on the site and YouTube) and be aware that stocks of 2021 models will start to run out at some point this year once the new models are released, so timing will be critical if you want the best value for money. If you leave it too late, you'll be limited to a 55" 2022 OLED for quite a while with your budget.

The whole 'LCD in a bright room - OLED in a dark room' thing is over-simplified and over-stated, IMO. I have my Panasonic OLED in a bright room and, while I do most of my viewing in the evenings admittedly, I have no major issues when viewing during the day. Drawing the odd curtain occasionally on a particularly sunny day is not a problem and is something I'd have to do for an LCD TV anyway. OLED screens can be quite reflective though so if your current TV has a matt LCD screen, then you might notice more reflections on brighter days. I have no idea whether modern LCDs use matt or glossy screens to know whether LCD would offer an advantage over OLED in this respect but if your room doesn't 'get the sun' then this may not be an issue anyway. Whatever you choose, my advice would be to buy from a retailer with good customer service to whom you could easily return a TV in the event of any issues.

LG have been recommended above other manufacturers in recent years due to their excellent HDMI 2.1-related gaming features but, if you don't have (or intend to get) a current gen console then that advantage is less important. Panasonic have, historically, often been recommended for their excellent out-of-the-box image quality. I certainly have no complaints with my GZ950 - it's been an excellent, all-round TV and the image quality is fantastic. I game on it with my PS4 regularly.

Even though the different manufacturers have their strengths and weaknesses, the picture quality of the LG, Panasonic and Sony OLEDs are actually likely to be pretty similar, so it may boil down to what specs/features you need and what the OS/smart capabilities are like.

I would start by checking out the AV Forums reviews of the models you're interested in (on the site and YouTube) and be aware that stocks of 2021 models will start to run out at some point this year once the new models are released, so timing will be critical if you want the best value for money. If you leave it too late, you'll be limited to a 55" 2022 OLED for quite a while with your budget.

I also thought about the Panasonic GZ950 as my current Panny has been faultless…
Never owned an LG before

I’ve got a Sony KD-55XF9005 in my bedroom which is also good and definitely a lot brighter than my Panny

I also thought about the Panasonic GZ950 as my current Panny has been faultless…
Never owned an LG before

I’ve got a Sony KD-55XF9005 in my bedroom which is also good and definitely a lot brighter than my Panny
The GZ dates back to 2019 so you'd be looking at a JZ from 2021 at the moment. I doubt there will be any HZ (2020) models left in stores.

The GZ is considerably brighter than my previous Panasonic plasma (a GT30 from 2011) in normal operation and HDR can be blindingly bright on occasions !

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom