1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

buying a new tv-ADVICE PLEASE!!!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by futuremk, Jun 5, 2002.

1. futuremk

futuremk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking to buy a new TV package and have got it down to two:
    An LG RE32FZ10PX (which for those who don't know is a LG (formerly Goldstar) 32 inch flat screen tv with 100Hz, picture in picture and nicam stereo, the package also includes a LG video and DVD) its on offer so we could get the whole lot for £900 (TV is supposed to worth £1300)
    The alternative is a PHilips TV (~ 6months old) model spec 32PW6515 (32 inch, flat screen, virtual dolby surround sound BUT 50Hz) plus video and DVD for about £890. I don't know anything about the make LG so would appreciate some advice!
    :eek:

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I'd definitely steer clear of that particular Philips model if I were you. The PW6515s are known for many problems (do a search to find out more). I sent 2 back.

Be careful of TV packages. Most packages are used by stores to shift unpopular gear. It can also work out more expensive. Your best bet is to pick each individual item and then shop around to get the best price on each - you may find that it well works out cheaper.

3. futuremk

futuremk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice :D
    cos I was leaning towards the LG model as it is a newere model and has the 100Hz technology as well, but I read a review (whilst standing in the newsagent) and it said "unforgivable picture imperfections" :eek: so I thought maybe I shoud go for the more well known make.

what trouble did you have with that Philips model?

4. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The worst geometry I have ever seen in my life (both sets) - which is apparently due to a design flaw in the set. Also, untolerable "cracking" noises coming from the set the whole time it was on (second set). Both problems have been mentioned by others on this forum.

If the LG has unforgiveable imperfections then I'd steer clear of that too. 100Hz needs to be done well or not at all IMO.

Do a search for the LG on here - maybe you'll find some other advice on this forum from previous/current owners.