1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying a new sky digital box?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by sam100, Jul 13, 2004.

1. sam100

sam100
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I have recently upgraded to sky+ and taken up the offer that has been advertised of having my existing receiver in a second room. My question is, that I have seen digital receivers advertised for sale that look a great deal better than the old Grundig that I have at the moment with a broken remote.

This is going in a cinema room I wanted to know that if I purchase a different box is it a simple case of informing sky and it will work, or don't they alow you to do this?

Also, does anyone know the best receiver to buy?

Thanks for any help :smashin:

Sam

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    You can have any box you want as long as it's a SKY digibox, that is the only STB that can be used to view SKY's subscription channels and the FTV channels.

If I have misunderstood you and you have seen a better looking/performing SKY digibox then yes it's just a case of marrying the existing card to the new box, phone call to SKY to give them the details is just fine.

3. sam100

sam100
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That's all I needed to know, thanks Starburst.

Do you know which is the best one to go for? The Sony apparently has an optical out for 5.1 dolby sound. Is this the only one that does or do they all?

again thanks for any help,

Sam

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    The SONY hasn't been made for a good two years and then the optical output doesn't support DD5.1, only stereo.

I've only ever used PACE hardware so can't comment directly on the performance of other makes but Panasonic is regarded well and you can't really go wrong with PACE.
    To be honest there is little to choose between them since they are all built to a pre-defined spec provided by SKY although traditionally the Panasonic models have tended to have faster processors which gives them a good response time for navigating menus and the EPG.

5. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know how much you were considering spending but you may wish to consider a second sky+ box. If you are paying £29 or more it will cost you no more to use the sky+ features. You will get the added benefits of DD5.1 and an S-Video output.

You may wish to buy one, even if you do not subscribe to the qualifying package, and use it as a standard digibox (just diconnect the hard drive). That way you will still get DD5.1 and s-video.

Dave

6. sam100

sam100
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think you might have read my mind Dave. As long as sky will let me I think I'll go for sky+ in the second room aswell.

Thanks for the help.

Sam

7. Barry.NI

Barry.NI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I have two SKY+ boxes, you will of course have to run an extra feed from the dish, assuming you had a 4 way PNP. ( is that what it is called)? installed on your dish, when they put the Sky+ (probable). Sky will allow a maximum of 2x Sky+ boxes, or 1 x Sky + box and 2 x Sky boxes. It is a bit of performance trying to buy a second Sky+ box, if you want to install it yourself, Currys were very reluctant at first, as the boxes are subsidised, and they had to find the correct code to put on the invoice, but I got on Pace Mk.11 box for £199. Setting it up was also quite a long winded affair, as it is quite unusual for someone to have two Sky+ boxes, but after about half an hour of running up and down the stairs, clutching the phone, we sorted it, and it came on line within a a few hours. I am really sold on Sky+, I also have a Pace Freeview twin tuner box, which is not very user friendly, and still does not have a decent EPG., but gives a good picture and sound, it also has the optical feed and with the upgraded hard disk gives a lot off recording space. They are also down to £199 without the upgraded HD

I have the Sony Sky box, with optical feed,and Remote Control, spare, which I would be willing to sell, it has had very little use as I went for the Sky+ as soon as it came out. As the other contributor pointed out, Sky only transmits 5.1 sound over their Sky+ boxes, depends really what your second room set up is. Of course if you feed it into a processor with PL11 or PL11x., you would get 5.1 sound from everything, depends really whether you want the extra recording facility. One can buy a last year's model Sony AV processor for £250 from Richer sounds or Currys. The Sony box is very attractive in bright silver, and only stands 50mm high. If interested e-mail me.

8. sam100

sam100
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the info Barry. Very informative.

I think I will go down the sky+ route instead of the sony one. But thanks for the offer.

One more question should anyone know. I do have a quad LNB installed but would only have one cable going to my new sky+ box. Is it ok to run it like this? I am really not interested in recording one channel and watching another, just to watch one channel or record it would do fine. I think I can remember the sky fitter saying that the second input takes care of the recording though so I'm not sure if this is an option.

I could always run another cable I suppose if I had to. I'm a bit lazy really :D

Again any help is very welcome.

Sam

9. dogma6

dogma6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I think you can now record from both inputs (dual recording) so it should be fine just with one cable :), just means you can only record the channel your watching

cheers

10. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Is the second box going to be for FTA, FTV or a "mirror" smartcard?
    Since you want DD5.1 I assume it must be a subscription card as only the movie channels and the odd Disney presentation carry that audio.
    If you are going to the trouble of having two SKY+ units and there is no extra payment for enabling the recording facilities on the second then I beg you to have the two connections:)
    There will be a time when you think it would be useful to have such and such on the HD ready to watch on this box and not the other one.

11. sam100

sam100
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks everyone for taking the time to pass on your knowledge about this subject. I think I'll go for two connections and get the job done properly.

Thanks again,

Sam

12. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm afraid it doesn't work like that! :lesson:

Dave