1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying a new projector

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by davyb, Oct 12, 2003.

1. davyb

davyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I am in the process of buying a new projector. I am working on a budget of around £1700 for a projector and screen. I will be running it with a Marantz 4100 dvd, sky+and a yamaha surround set up. I am considering the new hs3 or the z2, but havent seen any reviews yet. Or would i be better of going for the hs2 or the z1. Should i wait for the newer models or try and get a bargain on the old models? I am swinging towards sony for its sideshot feature at the moment for set up practicalities. Or does anyone have any other suggestions? Would i be better of with a pull down ceiling mounted screen or a pull up portable screen. This kit is for my main living area so i am not sure if a permantly mounted screen is a good idea! Please help me!!!

Davyb.

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    You seem to be starting from scratch - while people are likely to be happy to give you their opinions, you should really see some projectors in action before you buy.......... it's your money, so demo a few of the models you're interested in, it'll help you make up your mind.

BTW, the HS3 is 852x480 resolution, the Z1 is 960x540 and the new Z2 will be 1280x720.............. this can be relevant in terms of picture quality, and in the models you've mentioned, you wouldn't be aomparing like for like. No-one has seen production models of the Z2 as yet (pre-production models were shown at the IFA in Berlin a few weeks ago), haven't seen any reports of the HS3's performance either, so no-one is in a position to pronounce on their performance.

If you're not going for a fixed screen (although I think this is the best option - I know that certain compromises have to be made when installing in a sitting-room etc...), afaik, pull-down screens are the norm.

All the best,

Sean G.

3. davyb

davyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sean, thanx for your reply. This has left me with a few more queries. For a novice like me, what difference does the resolution make? Is higher resolution better picture quality?
    Secondly, i see you are from Ireland, I am from the north and everywhere that i go to get demos are really expensive and all they want to show me is dlp projectors that are out of my price range. They say that lcd are no use!!! Can you reccomend anywhere that I can go and demo some in a proper environment? If anyone else has any sugestions, their feedback would be welcome? And thanks for your help to date sean, jope you get back to me,

Davyb

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    There is a good offer at Avsales IIRC at the moment Z1 and Owl elec screen for £1500 as for demos just tell them that your are looking for a PJ for £1500 max and if they will sell you a DLP for that you will buy it Zi IMHO is a great first PJ good image size short throw user friendly and good almp life! But you really need to demo IMHO a H56 optoma is a great PJ but not worth £2k you pay over Z1 (one reason DLP are so expensive is TI are the only company to get the Chipset working no one else has so they control the market and all the liscences!!!

5. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :eek: :eek:

Should just about manage to pick up a DLP for that :D

6. davyb

davyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanx hornydragon, where is avsales? And sorry to ask a silly question, but what does imho mean?

7. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

See their banner add up top ^^^

In My Humble Opinion.

:)

8. Paul Williams

Paul Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi DavyB,

Glad to see you over here.

I feel, as with any process, you should almost approach it with the logic you would apply to major project! Whilst this may seem a bit grandiose, this is perhaps not an insignificant amount on money (unless you can afford to waste the budget with trial and error).

Look at the problem logically. You have identified the budget, but what are the other constraints. What is the room size, given that one of the most often quoted items of advice seems to be “ your seating position/distance needs to be at least twice the screen width from the screen itself” (72 inch screen, therefore 12 foot away) this should give an indication of projected image size. Knowing the image size, linked to the position you expect to put the projector in, means you can look at PJ image size to distance specs (throw ratio). I’m told there is a good calculator at www.projectorcentral.com but may not be 100% accurate. Short throw wide-angle projectors are usually easier to position(?) in most cases. Also, if you require a permanent position be it, ceiling, rear wall or to one side, this may restrict your choice, or do you intend this to be occasional coffee table use only? Consider connectivity as well, not only what you need now, but what you may need for the future. Do you intend to have a degree of light control in the room from blackout blinds, or will you just be drawing the curtains – available output ANSI Lumens is important here, but the smaller the screen (and surface type) the brighter the image. But also remember that specifications usually only give the maximum output and the best picture quality are sometimes in reduced output film/cinema modes. Don’t forget to add in cable costs, but if you have a suitable wall you could save on screen cost, initially, some never go beyond a DIY screen or painted wall.

You will probably find that for a given cost, there will only be a few PJ’s in the frame. For these, do a search on the various forums, read the reviews, and get some demonstrations.

Currently there is also the Infocus X1 clone the IBM ILV300, which I am told is available at under £800, this is a DLP machine but only has a 2x speed colour wheel and some have found the ‘rainbows’ unacceptable. I have the X1 and couldn’t be more pleased with the result. For more info on this machine look at http://members.shaw.ca/technut/x1faq/

Also, I believe the Panasonics AE300 also have an equivalent of the side-shot facility or horizontal keystone, this machine could also fall within your buget.

Happy hunting

Paul

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Ooops
    IMHO In my honest Opinion!

No idea where some else mentioned it earlier have a search!

10. Aqualung

Aqualung
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi DavyB

The we are at the same stage as yourself in buying a projector and at the same budget. We are surprised at the number available and are now finding it difficult to decide on anything in particular. Our favourites at the moment are the Panasonic PTAE200 or 300 and the Hitachi PJTX10. We will be watching this thread with interest.

Any other suggestions would be welcome, or if someone knows a site that lists specs and/or reviews we would be interested.