1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying a new Laptop - Advice please

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Barrovian, Dec 12, 2004.

1. Barrovian

Barrovian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Second star to the right and straight on 'till mor
    Ratings:
    +54
    I am looking for a laptop to replace my creaking desktop PC, and not knowing much about computers, I am having difficulty deciding what I should be looking for. I hope that by outling what I hope to do with my new laptop, someone will be able to guide me as to what I should be looking for in terms of specification.
    In no particular order, I would like to be able to do the following with a new laptop:
    1) Playing pre recorded (bought) R2 DVD's
    2) Playing audio CD's, and the ability to make copies playable in the car or personal CD player
    3) Downloading MP3's for use with iPod or similar
    4) Basic manipulation of digital photos, and the ability to archive them to CD
    5) Basic word processing and home accounts.
    6) Internet access (dial-up at the moment)

Should I be looking to buy from places like PC World, or on-line? Should I limit myself to intel processors, or are other makes just as good? What, are the benefits of a widescreen display? PC or Mac?
    What I'm hoping here is that someone who knows far more about these things than I, can give me an idea as to what I should be looking for to achieve the above.
    Thanks for your time,

I'd be greatful for any advice, opinions etc.

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    IMHO PC World should be avoided at all costs .. the quality of their staff and the technical support you can get varies in my experience and that of colleagues I know from dire to barely tolerable.

Personally I build my own PCs these days, but in the past and still nowadays at work I've bought from Evesham micros, they use a good range of components and offer good configurability and although I rarely have to call for support I always manage to get through to someone who actually seems to understand PCs. :)

I know there are other such retailers who others will recommend.

No you should not limit yourself to Intel, AMDs are generally just as good and often a bit cheaper than Intel-based machines, what's more important is what's also in the package.

PC or MAC? Ah, the never-ending question .. no advice here, I've never had an Apple past the old IIe. :D