Buying a new car - advice on dealing with Sales person / purchase

un1eash

Distinguished Member
Paint Protection is the biggest con, after multiple warnings not to my friend still had it on his M4 at a cost of £475. Showed him the products they use on eBay for £15, he assumed it'll be like the ceramic coating he had on his previous car applied by a professional.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
Paint Protection is the biggest con, after multiple warnings not to my friend still had it on his M4 at a cost of £475. Showed him the products they use on eBay for £15, he assumed it'll be like the ceramic coating he had on his previous car applied by a professional.
Ah but it will enhance the residual value of the car, honest guv :facepalm:

ostewart

Been dealing with Ford for a long time and used the same sales guy probably for the last 5 or 6 purchases. Went to a dealership looking to change a EcoSport to a Puma and had a to deal with a new sales guy. F*cking hell, absolutely the worst experience I've had with a dealer.

I know there is a shortage of cars but stop using that excuse every 5 seconds to avoid discounting. Every change we made, from spec to colour, oh I have to go see my manager and he would disappear for 10 minutes. WTF, if you aren't authorised to make deals why the hell are you on the sales floor.

And took my son who had just passed his tested, he was quiet excited and had been watching youtube vids and trawling forums the last week so I let him lead the negotiations. Thank fudge he did his research because this tw*t was trying to pull every trick in the book and treating my son like he knew nothing and needed to be told how car buying works. He tried to offer us a grand under trade in value, what a joke.

To cap it off, blatantly lies about an optional 1 year check-up affecting trade in and voiding our warranty. Don't give me that BS. Mate it says in the hand book its optional, ecosport like most cars these days is 2 year / 18,000 mile service interval. I ended up walking him over to the service desk and they said it was optional and had no effect on warranty. Was causing such a scene that ended up talking to the 'manager'. Its only that my mrs was with me that I didn't lay into him any more than I did. Suddenly I was like royalty, here sit down and we will do you a great deal. Surprised I managed to say no thanks so politely.

Honestly, 2 hours wasted and just got me very angry. I know why the market is heading to online sales and not having to deal with dealers. Suffice to say, not just all my future sales lost but I will be telling everyone I know never to go there.

Anyway, the only good news is I found out my older dealer has move to another dealership, its about 20 minutes further but I will be paying him a visit next week instead.

/sorry, rant over.

New cars with long service intervals are not good news in my opinion, it's what caused the issues with BMW engines.

I guess if you only keep the car for 3 years it doesn't matter to you, but for those who buy 2nd hand cars it's not looking good for longevity.

1-year / 10,000 miles is still what I would do with any car - clean engines = longer service life of said engine.

Sorry for the off-topic post but I don't agree with these long intervals they now have.

oneman

New cars with long service intervals are not good news in my opinion, it's what caused the issues with BMW engines.

I guess if you only keep the car for 3 years it doesn't matter to you, but for those who buy 2nd hand cars it's not looking good for longevity.

1-year / 10,000 miles is still what I would do with any car - clean engines = longer service life of said engine.

Sorry for the off-topic post but I don't agree with these long intervals they now have.
It would make them more money if the interval was shorter, I guess the manufacturers do their testing and the car still has warranty.

mjn

Distinguished Member
BMW changed to 2 years / 18k mile servicing to appeal to the business sector.

un1eash

Distinguished Member

While it may of been a contributing factor long services weren't the root cause of BMW engine issues.

ostewart

While it may of been a contributing factor long services weren't the root cause of BMW engine issues.

Fair enough, it was a contributing factor rather than the root cause, but it still caused issues nonetheless.

Anyone that appreciates and want's to look after their engine will have the oil and filter changed more regularly than 2-years/18,000 miles in my opinion.

oneman

went back to my original dealer today. What a difference, did the deal in 45 minutes. Had one car almost the spec we wanted that was dealer stock allocated, did us a decent deal so we have take it. Bit of a palaver around delivery as the car is in the country about 30 miles away, but needs to be shipped to the dealer who ordered it and then shipped back to my dealer which will cost them £200 even though the car isn't that far away.

Anyway, taking into PDI and paperwork it will be us by mid August which is actually ideal because we get to miss a payment.

BTW, had a look on carwow and the cheapest similar car was £3k more expensive. That probably was because carwow couldn't match my trade-in plus finance bonuses for continuing with my current credit supplier. Even then it wasn't that close.

D

Deleted member 27989

Well done! Congrats on the deal!

The best deal is one that you are happy with 👍

oneman

Well done! Congrats on the deal!

The best deal is one that you are happy with 👍
Indeed,

I did ask about the Mach E as somebody was doing a test drive while I was there. Interestingly you can't order one from a dealership, they can only be ordered online. The dealership will sit down and take you through the process but it will connected to the Ford.co.uk site, not the dealership one. Also that means no negotiation which I think a lot of people like the OP who started this thread might actually be happier with.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom