Buying a new camera - I am clueless!

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by groggits, Jan 1, 2007.

1. groggits

groggits
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi - I'm currently researching to get a new camera. Been getting loads of helpful advice from here! I currently have a kodak easyshare C340 which is 5 megapixel and is pretty easy to use. But, I want a better camera. It doesn't need to be compact. My top budget is £200 and I want to use it for home pictures, scenery and for my honeymoon which is coming up (lots of sight seeing). I also love taking pictures of people, so portraits etc.

I'm a little clueless however. I have seen the FUJI FinePix S5600 Zoom, which seems to show some really impressive results. It's 5.1 megapixel - will that make a huge difference to what I already have with my existing camera?

One thing I have struggled with, using my existing camera, is taking good quality night time pictures that don't blur. I'm not hugely knowledgable on digital cameras, but I want one I can have control over the settings of each picture I take. I also need one that's easy to understand from the start! Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. cynic-al

cynic-al

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I would go for a major brand - canon, fuji, sony, nikon (perhaps others too - I am not up to date)

lens quality is as important (if not moreso) as pixel count

read reviews - www.dcviews.com lists most

(I use a 4mP canon A80 which has many modes and manual control, not felt the need to change. Swivel screen is a real bonus)

3. Steve N

Steve N
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,383
    If you like Kodak it might be worth looking at the Z710, 10X optical zoom and 7.1mill pixels:
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Kodak/kodak_z710.asp
    I've just come back from PCWorld where they are doing it at a reduced price of £179.89.
    Probably cheaper elsewhere if you google it.

4. groggits

groggits
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanks, i'll take a look at those :)