Buying a new camcorder, didn't realise it was so complicated?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by rickyd, Jan 19, 2008.

1. rickyd

rickyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Well I haven't used my old tape based camcorder for ages as it is too big to take out so I decided to buy a new one.
    All I want to do is movies of the family, indoors and out, holidays etc. But after reading loads of reviews and threads I have lost the plot :confused:
    I fancy recording onto a SD card, as that is what my cameras use, very simple. But it sounds difficult to then burn that to a DVD.
    We have a Panasonic hard drive recorder, and a Sharp TV, the pc is 3 GHz, 512 mb RAM.
    We are hoping to get the new iMac later this year, which will have iMovie 08.
    As I understand it, I could record in Hi Def (AVCHD??) and watch it in Hi Def (which will be good quality) but when I burn a disc it will be in standard quality:rolleyes: Is that right? Or can you plug a camcorder into the Panasonic recorder and do it that way?
    Is that good enough? I don't want to buy something that doesn't do the job.
    Hubby says we will probably be getting a Blu Ray player in the future. Would that be compatible?
    And what would I need to do the dvd recording? Do they come with software?
    Sorry to sound dense, but I'm out of my depth and can't afford to make a mistake.
    Any advice Idiot Guide style would be appreciated. I struggle to set the recorder without the TV guide!!:):)

Mrs kinza....

2. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Hi welcome to the wierd and wonderful maze of Camcorders in 2008!
    I must say you seem to portray a lot more insight into the issues than you think:)

It isnt with the right software and a powerful PC. AVCHD doesnt give modest PCs an easy ride .Saying that all the current camcorders are easy to use.( and so much smaller than your old one) The one thing the tape models lack is the rapid download and ready made "clips". They need you to capture in real time with firewire ( not USB) and
    take up more space but have somewhat better quality ( not a huge deal with similar priced models) are easier to play and edit
    The Imac and imovie08 should be handy. On the PC it would seem a minimum of Core duo and maybe 1gb of RAM may be a pragmatic starting point
    All camcorders can record to a Settop DVD recorder via their AV out. The tape models do a better job by using firewire and can downconvert from Hi def to Standard Def in camera "on the fly" for this purpose
    Your understanding is correct insofar as you make a Standard DVD video. You can however make Variants of Hi def discs on ordinary DVDs which would play on HD DVD players , PCs and The Playstation 3 but not a Standard BluRay player ( unless specifically supported) and not on a standard DVD player
    DVD players do not understand hidef file formats
    Your call ,That is 2008 Hi def on SD card or HDD though:D

With What? You can make BD ROM discs but you'll need to get a BD Burner and Discs ( currently available on some Sony VAIO Laptops but not on much else. THE BD burning hardware and discs are not exactly commonplace or very cheap ATM..This may get better with time. But if not stated specifically, Standard Blu Ray Players will not play Hi def files burnt to DVD as the PS3 ( in its media streamer role) can

Any Software capable of editing AVCHD files should have that ability
    Sorry, you have moved beyond that.....:rotfl: I think getting the Info in bite sized chunks is more helpful. Info overload is very easy
    Dont we all;):hiya:

3. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    I believe AVCHD discs will play on any BluRay player, not just a PS3.

4. rickyd

rickyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Thank you very much, I understood all your advice and I'm glad I was on the right track:)
    It seems my pc isn't up to the job, 18 months old and past it!!! That's technology for you........
    Unfortunately my new iMac will cost £1099, which is not good news, but as my old iMac is 7 years old as still works I think it's worth the money.
    But if I could store my home movies on the Panasonic hard drive/dvd recorder then it would be fine.
    Any recommendations on a camcorder, £500 ish I was hoping :rolleyes:

5. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Mark,
    I tried one on a Samsung BD player it didnt , hence the (unless specified proviso). It may be a feature that newer models will have or older ones updated via firmware but it is far from being a universal feature
    In much the same way HD DVD players dont play WMV-HD files off a DVD the way the XBOX 360 does
    It may be that the discs have to be made in a particular way as well but just burning AVCHD files to a DVD disc did not play on this particular Player, It didnt recognise the disc

Mrs kinza,
    Also you will not be able to put the AVCHD files on the Panasonics HDD and play them off it, you can however use a Normal external HDD connected to your PC

6. chrishull3

chrishull3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    i doubt it blue ray discs made with - and + r blue ray blank discs wont play on most players yet .ps3 of course though.

7. rickyd

rickyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    OK, after reading lots of reviews last night I really like the look of the Panasonic SD5.

It comes with a 4GB SDHC card, I don't know how much that will record at High Quality, but apparently the cost of SDHC cards is coming down. So I was thinking I could view the clips on the TV in Hi Def, and save it all on the card without messing with it till I can afford the new iMac.

Then make a DVD of it, but it won't be a Hi Def dvd as that would involve lots more processes and a burner I don't have??

I hope someone can tell me I'm right, as I think I now understand it :lease:

If not then I will keep taking stills with my lovely camera and sulk and stamp my feet in a girlie fit when I see other people with camcorders.

Is the Panny SD5 a decent choice??

Thank you :):)

8. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    SD5 is a very good camcorder.
    4 GB card stores 40 mins at best quality.

Then make a DVD of it, but it won't be a Hi Def dvd as that would involve lots more processes and a burner I don't have??

Yes, you can do that. You can also put the high def on a DVD in various ways with an ordinary burner, but you will need something that can play it (e.g. a Bluray player, a Playstation 3, etc).