1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying a New amp and need advice.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by FuzzB4stard, Mar 14, 2005.

1. FuzzB4stard

FuzzB4stard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking to buy a new amp for a small room. I have been looking on richer sounds and found some amps in the £80 - £120 price bracket

Cambridge Audio A1 VERSION 3

Denon PMA255UK Black

Cambridge Audio A5 Black

Pioneer VSXC301 Black (this one is an AV receiver but it is cheap)

Any advice on which one is the best value for money etc.

2. tomt84

tomt84

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a cambridge audio a5 hooked up to a pair of Mission M71i speakers, biwired, on stands, with a creative labs external usb soundcard.

Sounds absolutely fine for my bedroom. Loud when it needs to be, but still capable of being subtle.

I got it (the amp) for £100 open box from richer sounds, and the M71i's from ebay with stands for about £70.

Not a bad little system for the money IMO.

3. severnsource

severnsource

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I have 4 of the Pioneers, which I bought because they were the cheapest I could find with spdif inputs. They are fine for non critical use at normal levels, and include a reasonable RDS tuner.

The disadvantage is that all the analogue inputs are on SCARTS.

Bill

4. jon_mendel

jon_mendel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi,

I got a Cambridge a500 from richer sounds for £100, which I'm very happy with (ample power, fairly detailed sound). As well as the amps you mention, you might also want to look at Marantz's basic amp (4400) - nice warm sound, and I think you should be able to get it pretty much within budget (or you should be able to get the similar 4000 for around £60 secondhand). If you're happy to buy secondhand, you'll probably get more for less - for example, here's a reasonably powerful Marantz that was originally £200-odd selling for £60 http://forum.hifichoice.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=15539 http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/archive/perl/3_printreview.htm (btw, I don't have anything to do with or know the seller here, just thought it looked like a good price...) You could also see if Richer Sounds have any secondhand/refurb/open box amps coming up on their trade counter.

Jon

5. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301