Buying a NetMD Player

K

Kenobi

Hi I'm thinking of buying a NetMD player.

Has anyone got any advice, comments, or recommendations about mini-disc players?

Thanks

K

KJ_Palmer

I have the Sharp IM-DR420 . I highly recommend this unit, it has pretty much everything you'd want.

If you can wait a couple of months however, the new Hi-MD units will be released which will add substantially to the functionality of the MD format.

tom_nieto

Standard Member
My MZ-N1 is really good, but apparently the MZ-N10 is awesome.

I have always really liked MD players, and find them to be perfectly suited to my portable music needs. Their battery life is second to none, especially with extension battery packs. They store more than flash mp3 players at higher quality and are lighter than hard disk players. Just the way I like it really :)

If I were you I'd wait and buy the new hi density MDs which can apparently store 1Gb. That would be a heck of a lot of music on a disc!

K

Kenobi

I'm sorry but I don't know very much about mini-disc players. Just a few questions:

1. Is the only difference between Net MD and regular mini disc player is that Net MD can play MP3s? Anything else?

2. Can you plug a regular mini disc recorder into a computer to record CDs?

3. Hi-MD: Is the difference between Net MD and Hi-MD is that H-MD uses a memory card that can store lots of songs like the iPod, as opposed to storing on mini-discs?
Anything else?

4. I'm thinking of getting a Net MD still as Hi-MD would be quite expensive. I'm looking at the MZ-710 as I can get it for £104 brand new. Is it really worth splashing out more for the MZ-910 (£160) or MZ-10 (£200)?

Thanks in advance

K

KJ_Palmer

1. The difference is only that NetMD's can download tracks from PC to MD. They can't really play MP3's natively as such. You have to convert them first to ATRAC (using the supplied software).

2. You can't do proper uploads with either Net-MD or regular MD. You would have to record MD onto the PC in real time and then burn the WAV/MP3 etc. to CD.

However, Hi-MD will allow for proper uploading.

3. No, the Hi-MD uses the same sort of discs as normal MD's, but with greater capacity (1GB instead of ~148MB). You can also record uncompressed PCM music on Hi-MD, and store PC documents, images etc.

4. If you can afford it I'd say the N910 is the best Sony at present. The N710 is good but basic, the N10 uses an unreplaceable (by the user) battery like the iPod.

W

Wishmaster

I recommend you to buy only Sony MD, because they are most reliable.

bwi

I have a Sony MZ-n710 and its crap compared to my six year old MZ-R50. Phoned up Sony asking why the sound was so **** and they didnt have an answer.

Asked them why european models are only 1.2w per speaker and everyone else 5w per speaker,, reply was that is an EU thing. However on ebay AUS models are 87quid compared to £130 i paid.

Totally gutted and wish i hadnt took so long messing with it and got my money back.

Bri

tom_nieto

Standard Member
The MZ-R50 is an awesome player, the sound is really nice from it. The abuse that that saw was amazing, it was dropped heavily used and even sprayed with a large super soaker! I think it's got a dirty lens atm, so I need to get a cleaner. My MZ-N1 is much more convenient though, and I don't fine the sound is that bad, I mostly use it on the move so I can't tell that well.

nsherin

Novice Member
I've got an MZ-N510, which I'm pretty happy with as a player. I don't use the NetMD software, as I found it to be very unstable and fiddly to use. However, they've just updated the SonicStage software to v2, which I've upgraded to, so might try it again sometime.

Decent battery life from the single AA rechargable cell that ships with it and the bonus also being that you can swap it out for an AA alkaline if you run out of juice. It also doesn't use those stupid clip-on AA battery holders, which I'm not keen on, due to the added bulk, the flimsiness in terms of attaching and the fact they are easy to loose.

I mainly record using my MDS-JE480 seperates deck and have upgraded the stock headphones to Sennheiser PX-100s (£30). These are a superb pair of fold-up headphones and most of the brightness that exists with the stock ones is removed by using these.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom